I was lucky yesterday! LP560 and R8 drive

My mate here in Dubai has done well for himself and along with this success has treated himself to some rather tasty toys:

1. 2003 Silverstone NSX in Auto
2. 2005 Silverstone NSX in Auto (this is the last ever Automatic made from the factory that he smashed in 2003 or 2004. Its been repaired to the tune of $70k in Atlanta)
3. 2008 Audi R8 Black/wRed and full Carbon Package
4. 2003 Lamborghini Murcielago Black/wRed
5. 2009 Lamborghini LP560 in Murcielago "Blue" - yes his car is one of the only world-wide custom ordered LP560's transferred from the LP factory to the Murci factory for custom paint. This alone cost $25k U.S.

So...why am I lucky? I got to drive the R8 and LP560 yesterday morning. Here's my quick write up with some pics (sorry forgot to take the R8 pictures but will get some next time I see him). What can I say I was very excited and pictures were the last thing on my mind.

Audi R8 - Impression
This wasn't the first time I'd driven the Audi R8. My former ex-91 NSX was featured in CAR Magazine in an article about the new R8 and the NSX (search for it here on Prime)...sort of like comparing two cars in the same league of breakthrough. What the NSX did for Honda at the time was what journalists were saying the R8 was going to do for Audi. Time will tell.

When I sat in the R8 yesterday is was surreal. Audi has nailed car interiors like no one's business. Its definately the best overall ergonomic interior of any car I've experienced. The only complaint I have is the busy dash but after 30 seconds of sitting in the car the cluster became managable. His R8 has the DSG like transmission and the first thing I noticed was that as you put the trans into sportshift instead of automatic and lift of the brake pedal the car doesn't roll...you need to encourage it with the gas. The steering wheel and radio controls are the same between the R8 and LP560. I guess Audi shares a few parts on both cars...

Two settings I used was automatic where it normally shifts for you and sport mode where the suspension tightens (becomes stiffer). This was evident just by driving over the many speedbumps in the parking garage..haha. But on cornering the car transformed from rolling chasis to taught snug sliding. Loved it. The gear changes on the R8 are abrupt. Very abrupt. Instantaneuous but shockingly harsh when really flooring the car. The brakes are smooth with a linear like action when dipressing the pedal. In other words it stops on a dime. Would I have one - hell yeah! Might even give up the NSX for one...its that superb. The exhaust note was killer and on downshifts the "blurp" was intoxicating.

But wait...there's my thoughts on the:

LP560 - Impression

WOW! Simply unreal. To start I jumped in this lovely beauty and admired the custom interior he ordered. I don't care what anyone says the contrast of light blue and shade of brown rocks. The coolest thing though was starting up the car to the roar of the LP's engine. The strangest thing was starting the car as you normally crank the key!!! What about a push button start? You'd think a car of this cost would have it and a key different than a VW key? NOPE. Even cooler though is that there is no center console controls and to engage reverse you select a button to the left of the steering wheel called "R". Aptly named as you can see. Push R and you don't feel a thing. The stereo transforms into a reverse camera and you're off with a touch of the gas pedal. Hit the paddle shift to the right and you've engaged sport 1 gear. Hit both left and right paddles and you've engaged neutral. The automatic and sport modes are buttons on the center console next to your knee.

I started off in automatic mode to get used to the car and immediately noticed how heavy the brake pedal is and how firm it feels. You really need to concentrate and get used to pressing it way more than you ever would a NSX brake pedal. The car's transmission felt like the R8's at first but the similarities changed when I put the car into Sport mode. Holy crap. The rev range changes much like the R8's but the sound, acceleration, and feel are drastically improved as you floor the pedal. The gear changes aren't nearly as abrupt in the LP but the car has this automatic "blurp - roar" when it decreases rev's and changing to a lower gear. It almost gave me an erection it was that good. My mate immediately says to me "hear and feel that...isn't that the sexiest thing you can experience in a car?'. NO DOUBT. Definately the first time I've wanted to make love to a car I thought to myself.

Driving the car on the freeway off ramp I immediately noticed how much faster you can take a car like the LP as opposed to the NSX. I don't know if its the weight or drivetrain of the LP that inspires higher speeds but I felt way more confident throwing the car into a turn than my NSX. Less roll more rear end squat if that makes sense? Better braking into the turn...

I was driving smoothly at 80mph (120km/h) when he advises me to floor it and keep the pedal mashed to the floor (closed course area of Dubai of course) and I've never felt pull like that before. I've been in quick EVO's, STI's etc. but this was unreal. Better than the R8!!! When we hit around 240km/h it felt like cruising at 120km/h very composed and tight. But then an infamous radar trap and I slammed on the brakes hard -yup they worked! I think we were flashed at 150- 170km/h so it will be a $60 U.S. fine no biggie.

Guys in the end I know we all love our NSX's but these two cars are in such a league above our cars that I did actually feel inept driving the NSX home. I still love my NSX but you can tell technology and chassis design has evolved since our car was derived. I love my NSX but in the future I might be shopping for an R8 to accompany it. NSX now seems to me like the classic sportscar everyone says it is. Yes, still able to perfom but trust me drive either one of the cars above and you'll realize that even driving a manual car has become passe'. I'd take one of these DSG like transmissions anyday.

Pics here. I'll try and get more daylight photos of the cars next time I see him:
IMG_6487_resize.jpg

IMG_6486_resize.jpg

IMG_6485_resize.jpg

IMG_6484_resize.jpg

IMG_6481_resize.jpg

Last edited:
delish'...

Tasty vehicles, indeed! :D

The interior (ergonomics/layout/style/instruments/etc') of any Lamborghini Gallardo is perhaps my 2nd fav' interior of any vehicle, let alone sports-car, at any price-point, only behind the Aston Martin DBS! :cool:

Wow! Amazing. Once in a lifetime!

So here is what I got out of your post:

Your buddy needs to learn to drive manual :biggrin:

I haven't driven the Audi or Lambo, but even the Aston DB9 I drove last year was so far above the NSX, I couldn't even see it. The Aston was simply sublime. An amazing car.

Cars have come a LONG ways since it came out. I simply couldn't keep up to modern cars in the NSX, whether through corners or on straights. When STIs just walk away, and I didn't have the budget for massive suspension and power upgrades, I knew it was time for a change. I still love the car, and gawk every time I see one, but I think that my ownership days have passed and will probably remain behind me.

I haven't driven the Audi or Lambo, but even the Aston DB9 I drove last year was so far above the NSX, I couldn't even see it. The Aston was simply sublime. An amazing car.

Cars have come a LONG ways since it came out. I simply couldn't keep up to modern cars in the NSX, whether through corners or on straights. When STIs just walk away, and I didn't have the budget for massive suspension and power upgrades, I knew it was time for a change. I still love the car, and gawk every time I see one, but I think that my ownership days have passed and will probably remain behind me.

mmm really? id say cars havent come a long way... when you compare the NSX to the modern cars. I mean just get coilovers in the nsx... i walk on stis on the track.

Also the design of the NSX is 18 years old... and still turns heads like no other. Timeless design compared to these mass produced family "sport" car sedans.

To have a STi or EVO something thats turbo/AWD such an easy vehicle... to me is just plain BORING.

btw ive had a sti before as well

Thanks for the post.
Very interesting read, especialy since i'm looking into getting something else, and the R8 and Gallardo are options.

Now, quick question, by your comments the Gallardo wiped the floor with the R8, however, you would still rather have the R8. Care to comment why?

Thanks for the post.
Very interesting read, especialy since i'm looking into getting something else, and the R8 and Gallardo are options.

Now, quick question, by your comments the Gallardo wiped the floor with the R8, however, you would still rather have the R8. Care to comment why?

I think you need to compare apples to apples because the LP560 is WAY more car than the gallardo's before it.

I think you just need to get that SOSSC on your Imola and you'll forget all about the R8 :wink:

Thanks for the post.

Easy. The LP560 is raw and noisy. The R8 has a nicer interior and I like the ergonomics but is more subdued in terms of overall feel. The handling of the Lamborghini didn't seem as plush as the R8 and for me plush with performance is what I prefer. The LP560 has a harder suspension and more jittery on hard cornering.

That's my explanation for why. Perhaps if I drove both cars daily I'd get more used to the feel but this was 30min in each one.

If you are considering either drive them and you'll understand. Perhaps a current owner of either one can comment more?

Someone said I need a SC on my Imola...I agree and working on it. :wink:

I don't think you wouldn't have been able to peel me away from the driver seat of the LP560 if I was driving it.

Read an article on the exotic car scene in Dubai in 0-60 magazine. Pretty impressive country indeed. It sounded like they didn't have the crazy taxes we have in the U.S. At least we still have that freedom thingy--at least that's what people keep telling me.

Hi

I remember reading the thread you mention. With that black R8.

I have not seen a R8 in real life. But it is growing on me. I think I wrote in the thread with that black R8 that I would not exchange the NSX for a R8.

I think the NSX is just stunning. The R8 is not stunning as the NSX. I will never buy a R8 (too much money). But it is the "new NSX". What the NSX was when it came out.

I hope that I see a R8 one day. I am sure that my knees will be weak seeing one. :smile:

The Lambo's are ofcourse nice too. But the R8 is something new. I am not sure I think it is nice as the Lambo's. But it got something. Thats for sure.

Regards

Back