I.T. Sponsorship to the States. New start required :P

Advise, Counseling, Adoption, Job Offers required... haha

This is one to make you weep :tongue:

I really need a new start in life.

A little about myself.

I live in the UK, I'm 30 years old, i work in I.T. for an advertising agency, i am one of the nicest people you will ever meet but unfortunately in the UK i am my own worst enemy. I am always helping people where i can and never get any help back when needed, people take advantage of me, use me, treat me like crap. The majority of people here are shallow, self centered and out for themselves. I don't fit in here. All my life people have treated me in such a bad way, i get told i need to change and toughen up but i don't see why i should have to change because most people have no respect or appreciation for each other. Over the years i have lost most self respect and confidence and struggle in social environments, I have got to a point where i can no longer bare getting up and what the day may hold. It's at that point you have to stop and think to yourself what can be done?.

I am sure there has to be better people out there.

Which leaves me here...

I wonder to myself, if relocating abroad, would people generally be better people? Where i would fit in and be appreciated and respected for who i am and not be seen as someone who is vulnerable and to be taken advantage of, obviously there is always the minority or exceptions.

I Always thought if i was living somewhere like USA or even Australia, because i'm English and the odd one out i would perhaps be accepted and fit in, maybe even be the cool kid. It might be the other way around, I might be different and mocked upon. If i was accepted and fit in, it would completely change my life, i could make new friends, build my confidence and find myself again.

This is the problem i have:

• I work in I.T on a reasonable wage, been working for the same agency 15 years however i have no qualifications, we employ about 80 members of staff across 2 sites, I learn everything on the job as i go, I don't specialize in one area, i work with Macs, Pc's, Servers both Mac and Windows, Anti Virus and Spam systems, support the software, Exchange Servers, GPO management and general network management etc. etc. When we take on board a new system, i will tinker and teach myself which is always on going if any issue may arise, i don't do any coding if i do it's all by searching the web, it's all interface based, i have a very technical and problem solving way of thinking. I am not easily beaten by a issue, i will usually resolve the issue or find a way around it, I am very approachable, reliable and always there to help even if it means sitting with members of staff holding their hands using technology which you would not believe how much of that i do.
  • How do i even go about getting across the pond
  • How do i get a green card
  • What if i don't fit in and can't make any friends
  • Confidence - renting some where i wouldn't know anyone at all and finding a job once i arrive as going over to a job is unlikely to happen
  • Would a employer likely employ a English worker when presented with applications from Americans?
  • I don't really have that much capital behind me, to get me started.

Then there is the idea, do i just go for it even if i can't get a job in I.T and take what ever i can just to make a living to have that opportunity of a new start in life.

What are your thoughts? I know people do it all the time but perhaps for different reasons, i've always loved the idea of America and gives me hope. You know your country better than i do, do you think a new start in the USA would help me?

Thanks,

Chris.

Last edited:
Hi Chris

As someone who has moved from another country to the US, I think I have some insight.

One, I don't think that you should realistically expect to move somewhere and have your social problems magically cured overnight. People are people all around the world, and there will be people who will treat you great, and also treat you like dirt, and in between. From your post it does seem like you truly have lost a bit of confidence in yourself, and a move will most likely not change that. That being said, a move to a different country, even one with the same language, is fresh and new, and may just be the thing that motivates you to get your stuff together and happy. I've seen it both ways, here in the US, and in Japan, my country of birth.

Regarding immigrating here, it is extremely difficult to LEGALLY immigrate here. Do a bit of research on your own, but getting a green card isn't as easy as filling out an application, paying a fee, and then waiting for it to get processed. You need a sponsor, whether that be a family member, or an employer. There is also the Diversity Visa (green card lottery), which is worth a shot as I know several people who have gotten their green cards with that.

Also, you're 30, and have been working in the same company for 15 years. Did you graduate high school? University? Employers will probably want someone with at least a college degree, unless you have an outstanding skill set.

Have you considered moving to a different part of the UK? I imagine people in some parts of the UK are "nicer" than those in other parts. I think that is one option for you. Or since you are European, can't you work in other European countries?

Anyway, good luck to you.

Moving definitely won't solve your problem, I'd recommend talking to a professional to get started. People aren't any nicer here (i work with two brits and they aren't treated any differently other than we rib some of their British expressions that make no sense to us).

As far as a green card, you'll need a sponsoring company, they will need to demonstrate you have skills not available in the US citizen pool of talent. You get put into a lottery, your education will push you up the list (ie doctorates will be considered before bachelor degrees) and the process costs the sponsor around $10k.

As an IT manager, I've got to be honest, we have plenty of great it people in the US already, I'd never consider sponsoring somebody for IT work when I can hire the guy down the street. Your other angle is to work for a company that has UK and us branches and start in UK for one year, then transfer to us. Much easier that way.

Last edited:
First, I'll echo what CStricker and robr said: coming to the US won't solve your problems, and it's going to be very difficult to do it "legally". Frankly, America is lousy with IT guys. If you can code, you have a much better chance: we're always importing coders from India and China and Russia -- but never IT people. Also, we're not really any more or less friendly than the Brits, so coming here won't solve your personal issues either.

What about the rest of the EU? I know the UK kind of plays differently, but would you be able to work IT in another EU country? That might sate your wanderlust, and give you an opportunity to experience a different culture and people without cashing it all in -- home is just a short plane/train trip away.

You also mentioned Australia; I believe it is likely easier to emigrate from the UK to Australia than to the US, and everything I've heard suggests that the people are friendlier there anyway. Call your local embassy/consulate and see what's involved.

here in America we have so many for profit schools that train average folks for entry level IT jobs...unless you know someone specifically or have a unique skill set ...I wouldn't bother.

Ditto to all the replies. Have you consider moving to Canada? the process for greencard is a lot easier than the US. The oil sand in Fort Mac in Alberta needs a lot of folks of various disciplines and you are young but the weather is prime for hibernation. Its much easier to find a company there to sponsor you than the US and once you are part of the eco system, you can always move to Vancouver.

Back