I need you guys opinion quick!!!! Thx

I'm trying to get a yamaha r6 bike. I found a killer deal of $3800 shipped for a 2003 yamaha r6 with perfect condition with only 43 miles located at Washington state (i'm located in Los Angeles, CA). I have no clue why this guy is selling it so cheap, but i have no intention in getting scammed. Please give me some pointers and advice. Well, we are trying to settle the deal with the payment and i asked him to C.O.D it to me the full amount. This is what he replied:

We`ll do this way :
For our both secure we`ll use a Third Party by UPS.
The UPS Third Party it`s like C.O.D. and we`ll do this way: You give me your shipping address and i`ll call UPS and i`ll give it to them so they can prepare the bike to be delivered to you .
After that they have your shipping address , they will send you in your email a payment request .
You had to go to Western Union and make the payment to me (30%) . After you have make the payment you had to fill the payment request from UPS with the payment details.
As soon as UPS receive the payment details and they check the payment they will release the bike to your shipping address.
After you got the bike and everything it`s ok , they will give me the payment details so i can pick up the money .
After i pick up the money (30%) you have 7 days to pay me the rest of the money .
Doing this way we are both secured and UPS is responsble for your money and for my bike. You`ll have the bike before i have the money and you`ll be able to inspect it before i can pick up the money.
Please let me know if you agree and if so please let me know your shipping address so we can start the transaction.

Thank you and i wait your reply
Have a nice day

So what do you guys think about that? Is there such a service that UPS offers? It's is kind of fishy to me why not just COD the full amount. That way, both he and i have nothing to worry about. He'll get his money and i'll get my bike.

Thanks in advance for any help....

:)

-Garrett

First of all, I never knew that UPS could ship a motorcycle, even if it was crated up? Secondly, why don't you just call UPS and ask them the same question?

Always remember the cardinal rule: If it's too good to be true it probably is!

It sure looks like a scam. UPS delivers packages up to 70 lbs. They do NOT deliver motorcycles unless they are taken apart and packed in allot of small boxes.

A new R6 is easily worth twice that. This is no deal.. its a scam dude. If you think it may be real, fly there and do the deal in person, then ship the bike home. I bet the seller won't go for that idea.

Perhaps there is a close board member who can checkit out for you.

YMMV

I agree, something doesn't sound right. Last year my friend and his friend went to a dealer and offered them $8K each for two R6s. The dealer turned them down. 2 weeks later the dealer called them back and took their offer and they were very happy. Even if this guy needs the cash right now, there would probably be a long line if he asked for $7000. Unless the bike doesn't exist, was dropped and rebuild, or is stolen, I don't know who in their right mind would sell a virtually brand new R6 for $3,800. I think this is just a quick way for the seller to make an easy $1,140.

Last edited:
S-C-A-M....COD means Cash On Delivery...another words, when the bike is at your front door (not via UPS as UPS will not ship that bike), then you give the delivery man some sort of payment or else he will not release you the package. Bottom line. There is no "UPS will hold the bike until I give them the 'ok' upon proper verification" Thats b.s. Stay away.

UPS won't ship something that big, only up to 150 lbs and there are dimension limits too. The terms of this deal are retarded, it's definitely a scam, maybe you should post some info of this place to let others know not to buy from them.

Project13,
You need to look at the problems with trying to REGISTER the cycle IN the state of California. You Might NOT be able to. Check out the legalities of buying a motorcycle out of state before looking into it. You might not be able to because it counts as a New Motorcycle (less than 4500 miles) and might not have the california emissions to bring it into the state. (or something like that)

As for the motorcycle, try to have someone look at it AND the title to make sure its on the up and up. Then go look for YOURSELF!!! If its that cheap, you will still come out ahead.

There are also motorcycle transporters which also do money and title transfers (middlemen).

Definately a scam-the operative clue here is the Western Union payment - none of which is recoverable in the event of fraud.
I also ship daily with UPS and can assure you that they are not equipped to ship cycles.
Several transport companies do - I had a bike shipped this year by Allied and they show up with a special pallet with a center slot for the wheels and tie the bike down to the pallet. It is then shipped in one of their vans and can be handled at the drop locations with a forklift.
Call this guy's bluff - tell him you will be there tomorrow and want to take delivery in person - I'm betting he will have a ton of excuses why he can't do that.

Bottom line : You'll never see that 30% you send him again (or the bike for that matter, because it doesn't exist).

T Bolen said:
Definately a scam-the operative clue here is the Western Union payment - none of which is recoverable in the event of fraud.

None?

A 2003 eh? I'm up in Seattle, so tell him a friend you're going to have a friend of yours check it out before you finalize the deal, then send me an address. This is almost a guaranteed fraud. I buy and sell bikes often, and even a salvage titled '03 R6 will go for more then $3800 if its close to 'perfect'.

UPS doesn't ship bikes either, so stay away from this one!

NSX/MR2 said:
T Bolen said:

None?

Yep - from Western Union:
http://www.westernunion.com/info/faqSecurity.asp#faq2

1. What can I do to protect myself?

As a Western Union Money Transfer user, we value your business and take pride in delivering your funds to the intended recipient in a fast, convenient and reliable manner. However, there are individuals throughout the world who will attempt to use any system to receive payments in connection with fraudulent sales or solicitations.
Make sure you know to whom you are sending money. If you are purchasing goods or services and paying through the Western Union network, it is your responsibility to verify the reputation and legitimacy of the seller. Western Union is not responsible for the non-receipt or quality of any goods or services.
Discontinue a call if a caller instructs you on how to respond to questions asked by Western Union.
Security is everyone's responsibility. Stay informed. Keep abreast of consumer fraud trends. A few excellent sources of information include your local newspaper and websites hosted by the United States' Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov) and the National Association of Attorney's General (www.naag.org).
Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

2. Are there common consumer fraud scenarios to be aware of?

Be wary if you are required to pay a fee before receiving a loan.
Beware of sweepstakes, prize or lottery company representatives who tell you to transfer money to them in order to claim a prize you've won. There are many companies running fraudulent contests that ask you to transfer them money but give you nothing in return.
Beware of unsolicited letters or emails from a Nigerian or other foreign government official requesting assistance in the transfer of excess funds from a foreign country into your bank account.
Beware of telephone calls from the police claiming someone you know has been in an accident or arrested and is requesting money.
Beware of unsolicited letters or emails offering an unrealistic price for expensive or difficult to find merchandise.
Make sure you know to whom you are sending money. If you are purchasing goods or services and paying through the Western Union network, it is your responsibility to verify the reputation and legitimacy of the seller. Western Union is not responsible for the non-receipt or quality of any goods or services.

AND THE BEST PART IS THEIR ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO!:

8. What can I do if I suspect fraud or am a victim of fraud?

Contact your State Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs if you are uncertain or suspicious of a telephone, mail or email solicitation.
If you feel you have been the victim of fraud, you can access the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) at http://www.ifccfbi.gov/ or contact the Federal Trade Commission through their web site at http://www.ftc.gov/.

YEA-RIGHT...

Back