I need a new clutch - help?

So the bad news is I need a new clutch...

Anyone know the best place/cost in Houston? I did a search and saw that it should cost $1900-2000 at the dealership, but I'm calling them (gillman, john eagle, sterling mccall) and getting quotes in the $2700-3000 neighborhood.

Help?

Thanks

I can't say where to buy a factory clutch for cheap but if you need labor, shoot nsxtech713 a PM. Carl can install it for you for much cheaper than the dealer.

The cost of parts and labor has gone up over the years since those numbers were generally true. Nowadays $2700-3000 is a bit on the high side but not ridiculously so.

Of course, if you can find it for less than that, and the person is competent (and has NSX experience, so you're not paying for his learning curve), go for it!

How much of that is labor?
Good question.

FWIW, a clutch for a '96 (part number 22000-PR7-305) currently lists for $1512.73. Some dealers charge full list, others discount by 10-20 percent.

I'm not sure how much the book time is on a clutch replacement. I'm guessing somewhere in the 8-12 hour range, but I could be wrong.

I have learned from having friends at dealerships that though the book may call for 8/12 hours, it can usually be done in half the time but your still paying for what the book calls for.:frown:

I have learned from having friends at dealerships that though the book may call for 8/12 hours, it can usually be done in half the time but your still paying for what the book calls for.:frown:
This has been discussed here extensively. It's not usually half, but it often takes less time than book (and yes, dealers make more money when it does). OTOH sometimes it actually takes more, due to unusual problems or other situations.

Thanks guys, I drove the OEM clutch and decided it was not for me at all. Thank you Tony for letting me drive your car, it proved very valuable as I was going to go ahead and order the OEM the next day. Instead I went with the Stage 3 Clutchmasters and Lightweight flywheel after doing some research. The car has an ACT clutch now which was comparable to the stage 2 clutchmasters, but supposedly the stage 3 is still very streetable as well. Might be too much clutch for the car but ah well, it's done and I'll see what it's like when it's installed. Hopefully it works out.

Back