I love my NSX-R suspension, but...

p167711_image_large.jpg

i second that...

last time i checked, nsx-R is more than $3k. After trying out my Koni ( Night and Day diff.), and that Billy is going to co develop some KW version3. SELL your nsx-R to some nsx purist before the word is out.

Get over it or try finagaling some slightly taller tires to decrease the gap,not recomended though.

Thanks guys.

I'm not worried about the "gap" as it were. I'd judt like the car's center of gravity to be lower. I had a set of Eibachs before. Hated the ride, loved the lower center of gravity.

As for a cutting wheel... I'm a little scared of that. but if it's a viable answer...

And price-wise. I already own the set-up. It cost me about $1200 if I remember correctly. So I don't want to spend any more for a different set-up. Like I said, I love the suspension (the feel, damping/spring rates, etc.) it just sits too high.

And more adjustability? I only hit the track a few times a year. I don't really need that. I mainly use the car on the streets.

Will a cutting wheel really work without compromising the spring?

the rube goldberg "backyard " special spring cutting was meant as a joke.Kinda like a ricer metaphor:redface:

People have cut their springs but I wouldn't recommend it unless you knew exactly what you were doing. I've seen too many guys cut the springs, jack up their ride, and buy the suspension they should have bought in the first place. One guy in a fairly nice legend cut his stock springs and ended up with his driver's front an inch higher than the rest of his car.

Besides, if you did that, the value of a NSX-R suspension would decrease exponentially.

I'm sure there is a suitable alternative from SoS or Comptech.

desires...

Is this the '02+ NSX-R suspension? If you ever are compelled to move onto another setup & wish to sell this, please let me know; consider them sold as of now, if that day ever comes! :cool:

On topic...

Have you considered doing the Bilstein sport-shocks w/ Dali Racing springs or even the Bilstein sport-shocks / Zanardi-springs combo? You'll get nice/firm handling & lowered-height/feel by using the lower perch of the shock. Those are quite enticing options and viable alternatives to pricier coil-over setups!

If you're after a slight adjustment in height, cutting your spring is an effective way to obtain it, you will compromise the stroke of the damper slightly, but the spring is the same strength regardless of length.

I would not do this as a DIY, I would try to find a local suspension shop to do it for you, to ensure you don't damage your suspension or yourself, when dealing with a fully loaded spring and a dremel tool :tongue:

If you would prefer another solution, you can call Eibach's race department, and have linear springs custom made to the same specification as your dampers, but shorter in length - this would achieve the same thing as cutting your springs, but now you must remove your dampers to swap the springs out.

What's the difference between the NSX-R setup and the Zanardi? The Z is so well balanced and so perfect that it forces me to push it to the limit, begging me to throw it harder into every on ramp and winding road. I've yet to turn off the traction control:biggrin:

What's the difference between the NSX-R setup and the Zanardi? The Z is so well balanced and so perfect that it forces me to push it to the limit, begging me to throw it harder into every on ramp and winding road. I've yet to turn off the traction control:biggrin:

The nsx-r suspension is completely different from the zanardi (type S), it is tuned for a lighter car, and uses a different damper, with a much stiffer spring setup.

The nsx-r suspension is completely different from the zanardi (type S), it is tuned for a lighter car, and uses a different damper, with a much stiffer spring setup.

stiffer than a Zanardi? didnt think that was possible! but I love it:biggrin: How much lighter is an NSX-R than a Zanardi?

stiffer than a Zanardi? didnt think that was possible! but I love it:biggrin: How much lighter is an NSX-R than a Zanardi?

The Zanardi/Type-S springs are 363/279 lb/in F/R, the Type-S is 2910 lbs

The Type-R (2002+) springs are 582/465 lb/in F/R, the Type-R is 2800 lbs

I am using Advance Flat Out suspension, which is 1000/600 lb/in F/R, my nsx is 2850lbs.

Last edited:
Re: desires...

Is this the '02+ NSX-R suspension? If you ever are compelled to move onto another setup & wish to sell this, please let me know; consider them sold as of now, if that day ever comes! :cool:

On topic...

Have you considered doing the Bilstein sport-shocks w/ Dali Racing springs or even the Bilstein sport-shocks / Zanardi-springs combo? You'll get nice/firm handling & lowered-height/feel by using the lower perch of the shock. Those are quite enticing options and viable alternatives to pricier coil-over setups!

No, like I said, I love this suspension. I've heard great things about all those set-ups, but they're not Type-R. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll check out a suspension shop and see if there's an answer (cutting?).

Re: desires...

No, like I said, I love this suspension. I've heard great things about all those set-ups, but they're not Type-R. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll check out a suspension shop and see if there's an answer (cutting?).

Have you had a chance to drive/ride JRZ? FYI I had NA2 Type-R suspension on my car & loved it. PM me if you have any questions.

Easy, at this nsxpo, lets have Billy drvies all our cars and comparing lap times.:biggrin:

My car only had I/H/E with a Sorcery GT wing.

Koni 2812, with comptech pro hardware, 1000/600 springs. OEM sway bars, and nsx-R front reinforcement. Titanium Dave's non compliance clamps.

NTO1, 235/17 fr. 265/18 r.

Anyone have simular setup with different suspensions??

It's way better than nsx-R setup IMO... no regrets.

Last edited:
Easy, at this nsxpo, lets have Billy drives all our cars and comparing lap times.:biggrin:

Koni 2812, with comptech pro hardware, 1000/600 springs. OEM sway bars, and nsx-R front reinforcement. Titanium Dave's non compliance clamps.

2812s are great dampers, it's what we run in Grand Am Cup/Koni Challenge, and were the same dampers on the Prodrive Aston Martin GT1 car that won LeMans.

How much was the Comptech/Koni 2812 setup?

235/265 has always been a very neutral/my favorite tire combination.

But +1 on their are many other options out there that are better (performance and ride quality wise) than the NSX-R suspension: KW V3, Moton/JRZ, Penske, Koni 2812, etc... some of which may even be less expensive.

If you're after a slight adjustment in height, cutting your spring is an effective way to obtain it, you will compromise the stroke of the damper slightly, but the spring is the same strength regardless of length.

nsxr-suspension-20k.image.jpg

The above photo does not suggest this. That aside, if you cut the spring it won't seat on the perch properly either as the ends are tapered.

However, if you are willing to spend 4 grand then compromise the stroke and other characteristics... why not just spend a few extra bucks for the proper length/rate/diameter and/or use a helper spring to take up the slack? :confused:

Last edited:
Without a picture of the NSX-R spring alone, you cannot conclude from that pic if the spring has flat mounting surfaces (which will not enable you to cut the spring) or a standard coil design that has a curved 'hat'/mounting surface that parallels the shape of the coiled spring.

But if you're willing to spend 3-4K, their are better options in terms of performance and ride quality out there.

Yes, the springs are indeed tapered at each end and that, frankly, has been my concern with cutting them. I never really thought that would be a viable option.

I guess my dilemma is that I don't want to spend any serious coin on a new set-up as, like I mentioned before, I love the NSX-R package for my purposes: mostly street, not much track. I'd just like to get the center of gravity a little lower.

Okay, so that begs the question, "why did I post in the Track Talk forum?" Simple. You guys have much more insightful information than what I may be subjected to in the General forum.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Easy, at this nsxpo, lets have Billy drvies all our cars and comparing lap times.:biggrin:

Hey Ferrand,
I didn't know you used to have NA2 NSX-R suspension. If that's not the case, how do you compare of what you have right now with the NSX-R suspension?
Personally, I liked the NSX-R suspension because it developed by Honda and that's a proven performance. Another point is, not everyone out there going for the NSX-R theme and therefore don't care much about the NSX-R suspension. But for a few NSX-R purists like me, I prefered proven performance and that NSX-Rism about it.
My car is now fully equiped with R goodies... pictures to come.

Back