I had a major Rt Rear tire failure today!

It occurred a couple of blocks from home, but the car felt wobbly just before I got off the freeway a few minutes earlier. Except for having to wait until the spare tire was cool enough to handle, I had fun learning how to change my tire for the first time, but I had to drive home with by trunk partially up due to the tire width. I did notice that an air pressure gauge is part of the tire changing kit. However, it did not work as well as my other gauge.

The damage: the inside sidewall of the tire separated from the wearing tread surface along 70% of the entire tire circumference. There were two gouges in the sidewall. The tires are on their last few thousand miles or so, but are far from being shot. I could not figure out if the gouges occurred first then caused the sidewall to separate when the tire went flat, or if the sidewall failed first and the gouges were caused when the tire went flat. I was traveling about 35 mile per hour.

Note: Earlier on my Sunday drive from Sierra Madre to PCH to Malibu Cnyn Rd to the 101 to 210, I traveled slowly over some accident debris which could have cut the tire, but that occurred in Culver City about a quarter through the drive. In addition, one would think that tire damage from debris would more likely affect the wearing surface of the tire, but there was no obvious damage. On the other hand, the cut may have started out small and worsened during the trip. The more likely cause of the damage was unfinished man hole covers along PCH that did not have asphalt flush to the edge of the cover leaving a relatively sharp edge. If the tire hits the cover straight on, no likely damage, but if the tire hits the edge of the cover, where it is parallel to the tire, it could very likely cut the tire. I did recall hitting the edge of the cover a few times. However, how could I prove that to Cal Trans or who ever was resurfacing PCH, that the unfinished asphalt paving cause the tire damage. I guess I can thank my lucky stars that the blowout did not occur along Malibu Canyon Drive or on the freeway at speed!

Oh well, off to the tire shop for some new rear tires. I wanted to move up in tire quality and performance, but my front tires have too many miles left in them. For now I’ll just wait, and lastly my apologies for the long discussion.

Regards,

Mario

Last edited:
Sorry to read about this Mario. I am glad your NSX didn't suffer any damage. Its a good thing you had a spare tire on board. I don't usually carry mine except on long drives.

Sounds a lot like my own experience, reported here. And we were both fortunate in that we didn't have an accident, and didn't even incur damage to the wheel because the tread surface remained intact long enough for us to pull over and change the tire.

Based on what you say, it's difficult to say exactly what caused the failure. I can assure you, though, that if and when the tire goes flat, to the point that the wheel is rolling on the inside of the tread - whether it's from debris puncturing the sidewall or whatever other cause - you won't be traveling very far before you'll notice it, thanks to the ride, the smoke, etc. So the tire probably reached the point where it was flat very shortly before you pulled over, and not a whole lot earlier on your drive.

I always keep the spare in the car, whenever I don't have my track tires in the car.

Mario,

Glad you and your NSX are ok. Sorry to hear about the tire failure. :frown:

Hey Mario,

Sorry to hear about the tires. Glad that you're okay. Had a flat tire last year and good thing I noticed it before I entered the freeway. I took 2hours before the tow truck came. :frown:

Don't forget to check the tires regularly. How many miles on them?

-Henry

Glad you are ok and sorry to hear about your tire failure.

All,

Thanks for your replies and concern for me and my NSX. I'm leaving in a few minutes to replace both rear tires (I hope the car's suspension did not suffer any damage, no obvious, but I'm not a car buff!). I do not want to replace just one tire, based on what others have said. I'm going to install the same tires (Dunlop Direzza 101's). I do not have enough experience to tell if this a good all around tire. They appear to grip well and have lasted around 13,000 plus miles, but except for two Tax Relief drives and one Mount Palomar drive, I'm more of a cruiser than a racer.

Regards,

Mario

Back