I guess I got scammed

Well,

I guess I got scammed from a member here. I was a bit reluctant to share, but other prime members encouraged me to, as the community needs to know.

I have been reposting a wanted thread for ‘97 test pipes. A member here contacted me and asked if I’d asked his friend. I got some photos from him and sent payment, with PayPal goods and services. A few days later I asked about shipping, said he was busy and would ship the next day. Now crickets, won’t reply. Also, the member here who referred him also won’t reply. It’s been almost 2 weeks, and I’ve already filed with PayPal to get my money back. I didn’t FaceTime, or ask for photos with a piece of paper and a name, so I’m very at fault in this transaction as well. Here’s a photo of the guy that reached out to me. Hope this helps. If I posted in the wrong section, my mistake.

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_6173.png
    IMG_6173.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 70
Sorry to see this. How many posts did prowavy have? Try as we do, we sadly can't kill every new member, so some scammers who are new get through..

yea to the regular occasional honest primer a guy with 17 posts but joining in 22 sounds maybe legit ....but that is why we require at least the personal pic with the item. Of course WTB threads open you up to Pandora..

Really sorry to hear of all the SOB's out there Sam, but thanks for doing the right thing to warn other members. :(

Are you sure it was actually the member @prowavy ? We've had some issues with users who used common passwords subsequently getting their password compromised on another site. Then evildoers impersonate the Prime member and post a too-good-to-be-true (service mat etc.) for-sale or contact people who've posted a WTB. One flag is that they are often contacting "on behalf" of someone else who they refer you to, which is just another email or phone that they control.

Glad you used PP, which seems foolish for a scammer to "accept", knowing PP will just reverse it.

Caveat emptor. And if you've got a common password with Prime and something else, change them. Good advice for any platform and a reminder to follow the revised rules for Prime buy/sell.

Well,

I guess I got scammed from a member here. I was a bit reluctant to share, but other prime members encouraged me to, as the community needs to know.

I have been reposting a wanted thread for ‘97 test pipes. A member here contacted me and asked if I’d asked his friend. I got some photos from him and sent payment, with PayPal goods and services. A few days later I asked about shipping, said he was busy and would ship the next day. Now crickets, won’t reply. Also, the member here who referred him also won’t reply. It’s been almost 2 weeks, and I’ve already filed with PayPal to get my money back. I didn’t FaceTime, or ask for photos with a piece of paper and a name, so I’m very at fault in this transaction as well. Here’s a photo of the guy that reached out to me. Hope this helps. If I posted in the wrong section, my mistake.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam, really sorry to hear this. We try to filter them all out, but some get through. I'll force a reset on that account. This is a good PSA for the buyer's rules, though. All members should use them!

Sorry to hear about your incident. Prime members were quite trust worthy in the old days. I suppose time has changed these days.
What happens is scammers get the login info for existing, legitimate, accounts, change the password so the original owner can't login, then use those accounts to pretend to sell stuff. If the accounts are inactive the account owner will never report the issue and we have no idea anything has gone wrong until someone gets ripped off.

So don't hesitate or feel bad about reporting something scammy and dragging someone, odds are its not them.

Last edited:
Back