I got a Valentine 1

I was searching for a new radar detector last week and read everyones posts about how they love their Valentine 1. $400 is pretty steep for a radar detector but I figured what the hell, if everyone here likes it they must be worth it. Has anyone ever been caught speeding with their V1 in use? How about the false alarms? My old Whistler gave false alarms all day.

Back to the topic of:
Has anyone ever been caught speeding with their V1 in use?

I should have gotten a ticket by now. I generally see the cops on the side of the road before my V1 catches it. <yes I have it mounted correctly and it is on A mode> Either the cops have really short range guns or my V1 has short range detection. Either way, if I was hauling a$$, I'd never be able to slow down in time.

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Black

Originally posted by insx:
Back to the topic of:
Has anyone ever been caught speeding with their V1 in use?

I did, a couple weeks ago. Coming back from pahrump. Winding road, and as I apprach a crest, the cop coming the other way. Suddennly my V1 blazing, and I hit the brakes. He turned around, and I took off the radar detector and hid it. The cop was pissed, and the first thing he said is, I know you have a radar detector, cause you my radar showed 87 to 74 just like that (snapping his finger). If anyone been to pahrump, the road going back to California is empty and in the middle of nowhere.

That being said, the V1 saved me a bunch of times for long drives. For drive around the bay area, it got no use.

Andrie,
we saw him sitting right over the first hill at the Nv/Ca line; out in the middle of nowhere, especially from the Cal side, kinda like he had been tipped off that we were coming! Lucky for us we were towing the X.

Re. false alarms; one of the most interesting is that certian year models of Ford SUVs set off the laser when they hit their brakes; specifics are on their site.
Greg

[This message has been edited by supercharged (edited 03 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by supercharged (edited 03 February 2003).]

Yes, I have been zapped with instant on and no detector in the world will save you if you are alone on the road.With instant on radar you must rely on picking up stray blasts as the radar is cycled in traffic in front of you.

I haven't been caught speeding since I purchased my V1 back in 1997.

However, I've been pulled over many times for no front plates and tinted front windows... on my other car.

Knowing my luck, maybe I'll get one now...
smile.gif

My V1 has saved me from getting tickets many times. Most of the cops around here drive around with their in-car K-band radar constantly on. In many cases I pick them up several minutes before I can even see them.

Lately however I have been hit numerious times by state troopers with laser radar guns. The V1 has alerted me to the laser radar usage everytime, however by the time it goes off it is too late. (Fortuntely I was never speeding any of these times).

Only once have I seen the laser detector work in a useful manner... Driving on I5 with 3 other cars in front of me. Upon approaching an overpass, my V1 let out multiple laser radar alerts. The last one of which I would assume was pointed at me. Though that would have provided only a couple seconds warning.

However, overall I would esimtate that my V1 has altered me to around 90% of the potential speed traps. Before that (with no radar detector) I was blissfully ignorant of how often my speed was being measured by cops driving the opposite way.

Definitely recommended equipment. With a V1 and exercising discretion where appropriate, you are unlikely to get a speeding ticket. However, speed around like a madman constantly and the V1 will likely only reduce your number of tickets, not eliminate them.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 24 February 2003).]

Well, after a few weeks of ownership, I thought about sending the V1 back. The next morning, I pulled out on a main road in my town and the V1 starting going off. It went off for about 2 miles. I thought something was wrong so I plugged back in my Whistler, no tones or alerts. I plugged back in the V1 and it was going crazy. After driving for about another 3 miles of this, passing cars I finally caught up to the police car riding with the radar on. The V1 is now going to be a permanent fixture in my vehicles. I am sold on it. It is that damn good.

Rob

After riding up to Mammoth with a friend who owned a V1, my wife and I were both sold on it. In fact, my wife ordered the V1 for me this Valentine's Day...and it actually arrived on February 14th!

This past weekend, we finally got to try out the V1. We popped it in our Honda Pilot and headed up to Mammoth.

First save: We were following a silver X5 for the final miles of the 395-203 junction. As we neared town, the V1 signaled a KA band alert so I let off the gas. Sure enough, moments later we pass the very same X5 pulled over by the CHP.

Second (and more dramatic) save: On the return home while heading down the 395 towards Bishop, the radar detector suddenly signals a strong KA band alert...so I quickly started applying the brakes. Seconds later, I come around a bend and pass a CHP just sitting along the side of the road. In my rear mirror, I see two more cars pass the CHP, his lights go on, and he pulls one of them over. I guess THAT guy didn't have a V1!
biggrin.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black), '03 Honda Pilot EX-L (silver/gray), '97 Honda Civic HX (but not for long)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

I had a save like that with my V1. I was driving up 280 just north of Palo Alto when a Firebird pulled alongside and wanted to "go for it". I don't usually take action in such cases, but I was cruising at about 85-90 anyway (not an unusual speed for that stretch) -- when the V1 goes "chirp". He punches it and takes off; I let up and drift down to 65-70. Sure enough, there was the CHP, and they chased down the Firebird.

I made sure to change into the far right lane and drive real slow past him so that he could see that he "won" the "race"
smile.gif

-Bob ('94 #496)

Every one on the players run had the v1 it saved us at least 15 times. But we did get busted in flordia we were doing about 150 when it went off by the time we slowed down he clocked us at 102. 12 of us went to jail!Its worth the 400 bucks thats for sure.

Back