i could buy this accidented car

How hard do you guys think it would be to repair that car?

also, i was thinking to buy wide rear and front fenders to change these along with a new front bumper.

do you guys think it would be worth the trouble? I would also need a new door...

Attachments

• frontcrunch-2.jpg
    frontcrunch-2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 358
If it were worth fixing, the owner would fix it before selling the car.

The fact that he's not, should tell you that buying the car is a very bad idea.

Wasnt this car on Ebay a few months ago?

kgb_agent said:
But they're only asking $27500 for it!!! :D

I assumed you were kidding. You are kidding, aren't you?

If I were to consider buying this, I would only do so after getting an estimate from a good body shop for the repair, and only if the car would be worth more than what it would need to buy it and fix it up. And again, the fact that the current owner isn't fixing it should tell you that that won't happen.

yep, that's the one, but it's 26,9k canadian

which is less that 20k US and i beleive i can get it for a little bit cheaper

yeah the car has 125 k miles, i know it's a lot

here, a clean 91 NSX run for around 37k US for 33k US, you have nothing.

this is why i though it might be a good deal, mostly because i wanted to install a wide body kit while i was at it and change the color.

what do you guys think?

you really think it is not a good deal? It is really hard to fix?

puma said:
you really think it is not a good deal? It is really hard to fix?

If you don't know how hard it is to fix, it is not a good deal.

Let's say an early NSX with 125K miles in decent condition, without accident damage, can be bought for $25K in the States. Even by Canadians, ay?

Let's say that you can bargain this car from its CAD$26,900 (USD20K) asking price and buy it for USD15K.

Let's say that, to be fixed properly, this car needs USD25-30K of body work. But let's say you can do a half-assed job, and let it look like it, for only USD17-20K.

So you have a choice. You can fix up the car properly by spending a total of USD40-45K, for a car that will then be worth USD25K (or less than that, if it has a salvage title). Or, you can do a half-assed job of fixing the car by spending a total of USD32-35K, for a car that will then be worth maybe USD20K.

Change the color? No problem! Just add another USD5K to the price you would pay for fixing it. (A full repaint generally costs more than that, but some of the parts you are going to need to replace and paint anyway.) Body kit? No problem! Just add the price of the body kit (parts and labor) to the price you would pay for fixing it. But keep the amount that the car would be worth after fixing, painting, and modding the same. So then you're looking at spending a total of $40-55K for a car that will then be worth USD20-25K.

All of these numbers are absolutely realistic for this car, based on the photographs.

Let us know if you still have trouble figuring out whether this is a good deal or not.

P.S. I would like to know whether the damage to the rear end (taillights and bumper) was caused by the same accident as all the right side damage, or a different accident.

And the side-view mirror on the ground was a stroke of genius! The photographer is a true artiste, and has a real eye for detail.

Last edited:
well the thing is i don't see why it would cost so much to fix it.

the fenders, and the bumpers are included, the problem that i have is how big are the damage, i am a good mechanic but don't know anything about body.

from the side impact, it looks like a new door and a new rear quarter might do the job so i figured it would be no big deal.

in front, the fenders are provided in the price also so no big deal again. the front and the rear bumper are also given with it.

i was thinking only thing missing is some mechanic to make the headlight close again, a new paint job and voila.

but i guess you guys see something else, i really don't see where it would cost 20k to repair, but like i said, there might be something i don't see.

thanks for helping guys, keep sending your comments, i appreciate it. You already saved me from buying a salvaged car once. Like i said, i ain't too good with body but i think i can change a fender... ;)

Will see if you save me from buying this one also :D

oh yeah, forgot to say, in canada, we have a shit load of taxes, importing a car from the US cost a lot.

let say that you need to add at least 5-7k US to the amount you are paying since there are modifications to do on the car to make it legal in Canada and you need to pay duties, customs, taxes... not counting the transport and all those things

just wanted to say.

There are a lot of things that you don't know.

You don't know what parts, underneath those body panels, need replacement. Mechanical parts, electrical parts, structural parts, etc.

You don't know anything about painting - about how long it takes to paint pieces, about the different layers and steps of prepping and sanding and painting and clear coating, about how you have to repeat if there are any flaws of any kind, etc.

The only thing you are looking at is the cost of the outer body panels and the labor to remove them and install them. In this case, that is probably about 20-25 percent of the overall cost to repair this car.

I'm not even an expert in these things. But I have a good enough idea to be able to tell when something is a no-brainer. And this, my friend, is a no-brainer.

If you disagree, please buy the car and do the repair. Make sure you at least consult with a body shop professional who can tell you all the things that you are likely to do wrong, that can result in a car that not only looks bad, but is unsafe. Then please write up for us everything you spent, and how the car turned out. I think the education alone may be worth the thousands and thousands of dollars you lose on the car.

well it's not i don't agree, i really want to have everyone's opinion since like i said, i have no experience on body work. Just trying to show you what think, now i want to know if i am wrong or not, looks like i am wrong, which is highly probable.

but one thing is for sure, i'll have a good body shop take a look at it like you suggested, it's a good idea, just need to find one now over there...

now that is an other problem.

I thing i am just going to stay with buying an other RX-7 TT, that will end all my problems...

man i don't know what to do anymore...

To repair it to as new condition may be impractical. But if the mechanicals are good it may suit you to just get it looking reasonable. It would be fun to have an NSX "beater" where you could enjoy the performance but not fret about little things like door dings. You could track it with a clearer conscience too :).

puma said:
I thing i am just going to stay with buying an other RX-7 TT, that will end all my problems...

Nice car, maintenance nightmare. Most are on their second or third engine. But you can get a nice deal on them because no one wants them.

oh man, an other bad thread about him... :(

ah, shit, guess i have no choice but to pass, i wish i would have get an NSX.

by the way, don't worry about the RX-7 reliability, i know them like the back of my hand.

Back