Hydrolocked Civic

My brother had an unfortunate incident today as a result of the hurricane. The parking lot corner where his car was started to flood. He ran out, jumped in the car and tried to slowly back it out, but since it had to back up a slight hill the intake dipped a bit into the water. I think you know the rest. What are his options and are there any good resources you'd recommend? This is in Georgia.

SaberX,

Try giving a salvage yard (kinda like U-Fix-It Honda up here in washington) c call, You can pickup a used engine of the same type, and just do a basic R&R. A D-series motor should be 600 to 800 depending on year/mileage, and you can probably get it R&R'd for about 400. These are typical WA prices.... (inflated because of the popularity around here). I would probably do a T-Belt/Water pump at the same time, since you can get it done in like 15min with the engine out of the car. Those parts for a SOHC should be about $40 for the belt & $70 for the pump OEM honda pieces.

what year/model civic? then i can pin down the prices a little better for you.

-Ray

I've replaced alot of engines because of hydrolock, and everyone i've come across has had nice C or S shaped rods.

Did he actually HydroLock it (take in enough volume of water to fill the cylinder, and then try to compress it) or did he just take in a little water to foul/wet-out the plugs?

-Ray

We're going to have to wait until tomorrow until he can check it out, or maybe later because IVan isn't going anywhere for the next few days. His car is just sitting in his parking lot at work now. It's possible its not Hydrolock cause he wasn't giving it much gas and it just died straight away. I'll find out more info later and post an update. Thanks again for the help guys.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best. Then you do go, bring a spare set of plugs, pull the old ones out, and shine a pen light down there to see if it still is full of water or not. (if it is full, pull all the plugs out and turn the starter over to "eject" all the water out of the plug holes :-) ). Check the plugs to see of the plug strap got shoved into the electrode. If all looks good put the fresh plugs in and fire here up.

-Ray

Ray - great information. I can't tell you how helpful you've been. My brother will be checking out all of those things you mentioned this afternoon. Here's the breakdown of his car. It's a 96 Civic DX hatchback. If the engine is busted are there any good and well known upgrade paths? For example, could we get a VTEC integra engine or a prelude engine and toss it in there at a reasonable cost? I'll prolly be looking/posting on honda-tech, but alot of you NSXers are rock stars with all things Honda.

AWESOME NEWS! Thanks for all your help, your advice was not only able to save us some serious $.. it brought the car back to life... Here's what went down.

My brother pulled the plugs, saw a fair amount of water in the cylinders... cranked it and all the pistons were moving freely... then kept cranking to get the water mostly out. Syphoned out the remaining water. Put in new plugs, and changed the oil (he said there was a lot of water in the oil).... fired it up and it ran! Sounds good, no noise... We couldn't have done it without the helpful initial guidance of your NSXers. Thanks again.

Back