Hybrid SUV ?

Can anyone suggest a good SUV with good mileage? I currently drive a Dodge SUV and it gets 12-14 mpg :(

I'm looking to get another SUV but am considering Hybrid SUV's. What are some good ones coming out soon?

bambookid said:
Can anyone suggest a good SUV with good mileage?
EPA 21 mpg city, 26 mpg highway:
021834-E.jpg

EPA 21 mpg city, 25 mpg highway:
004900-E.jpg

EPA 17 mpg city, 22 mpg highway:
024858-E.jpg

EPA 17 mpg city, 23 mpg highway:
026623-E.jpg

(Mileage may vary slightly depending on transmission and trim level.)

Yup I would wait for the Lexus RX330 Hybrid. Othewise, you may need to consider Minivans or Station wagons(if you dont need to tow)

Last edited:
bambookid said:
Can anyone suggest a good SUV with good mileage? I currently drive a Dodge SUV and it gets 12-14 mpg :(

I'm looking to get another SUV but am considering Hybrid SUV's. What are some good ones coming out soon?

My 02 Ram 1500 was even worse at 9 miles to a gallon. Dodge is known for poor gas mileage, so I have been told.
I replaced my Ram with a BMW X-5. I get a little under 20MPG and it is a whole lot more fun to drive than a Ram. As a matter of fact I would rather drive the BMW if it got 9 MPG and the Ram got 30MPG. Fun factor makes a huge difference.

Wow. Thanks for the great info. Yeah I knew about the Lexus but coming from a Dodge Durango the RX400h looks l like a chick car to me :) . Also the rear cargo space is alot smaller. I was hoping for great mileage but cargo space the size of my current Durango or even the Pilot/MDX. Currently I've had my eye on the MDX but it only gets 17mpg. Which is still better than the 12-13 mpg I currently get from my Dodge. I got the best driving impressions from the MDX.

I'll most likely wait for the RX400h. Does anyone own the current RX 330. What are your driving impressions?

There should be a Durango hybrid coming soon, as well as an Explorer hybrid if you want to stay with a domestic brand. If nothing else you could buy a Prius and put a lift kit on it... :p

bambookid said:
I'll most likely wait for the RX400h. Does anyone own the current RX 330. What are your driving impressions?

I have its fraternal twin - the Toyota Highlander and absolutely love it. Rides nice, comfortable, getting 20mpg brand new and should improve with time. Plenty spacious enough. Not as many bells and whistles as the Lexus version but far more affordable.
The Lexus IS a chick car - the Highlander too maybe - but the Lexus definitely!

We have the 04 RX330. We bought it last April 2003 and have about 16K miles on it aleady:D In Hawaii we were limmited to package offererings so the best we could get was the Premium Plus package. No performance package, navigation, or option 18" rims and rear seat DVD entertainment is offered in Hawaii for some reason. The ML system is offered but we choose the standard since the ML was no better than my aftermarket audio gear. AWD is offered here but we got teh FWD since it would have been a 4 month wait for the AWD. Anyway, this is my first SUV so I really have no direct comparison other than it seems to handle well even if the body rolls alot compared to normal cars. Interior IMHO was much nicer than the MDX (Or other choice) or BMW X5. I think it has the best interior. The reason why I got this one over the MDX was for the power rear hatch and HIDs and because it was a redesign from the earlier RX300 which I don't like in terms of looks.

As for it being a chick car? Well, maybe, but once I get a nice body kit on with 19" or 20" rims I'll be good to go:p :D Seriously though, there are some nice looking kits out for the Harrier (JDM RX330) that are not too wild and very suttle but gives the RX330 a muscular look. Check out www.clublexus to see if you can find any pictures.

All in all I like the RX330. The only reason why I am regretting buying it is because of the RX400H. The 400H has more power, better gas mileage and same basic looks and interior. I wish I knew about the 400H and waited for it.:(

ChrisK said:

The only reason why I am regretting buying it is because of the RX400H. The 400H has more power, better gas mileage and same basic looks and interior. I wish I knew about the 400H and waited for it.:(

I wonder if the salesman did?

Hybird coming

I spoke with my Lexus person in September, my wife has a 2000 RX300, he told me to wait on the 330 that they hybrid would be out in about a year, and I'd be much better off. I'm in no rush to replace the 300, it only has 45,000 miles on it, and my wife still doesn't know how to work half of it's features!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Does anyone know when the MDX is due for a redesign?

Poet-X : A Durango Hybrid...Really??? I might be interested. Does anyone have any details about this? When is it due?

ChrisK: Thanks for your input. When the rear seats fold down is it totally flat?

bambookid said:

Poet-X : A Durango Hybrid...Really??? I might be interested. Does anyone have any details about this? When is it due?

They've been writing about it since 2001 and, at that time, it was supposed to go on sale in 2003. Whoops, guess they're running late. Plenty of stuff in Google about it:

"Bob Davis, DaimlerChrysler's director of advanced electric propulsion systems, said the hybrid Durango would get about 18.6 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving - a 20 percent improvement over the current model. Davis said the improvement would save as much gas as a 50 percent increase in efficiency for a Dodge Neon subcompact." This according to a AP report.

The DaimlerChrysler version of a hybrid has no physical connection between the electric motor and the gas engine, whereas the hybrid Ford Escape SUV and Chevrolet Silverado pickup places an electric motor between the vehicle's standard gasoline engine and transmission. For the Hybrid Durango instead of a 5.9 liter V8 powering a four-wheel-drive system, a 3.9 liter V6 will be driving the rear wheels only. The electric motor sitting over the front axle will power the front wheels, and will continue to charge the battery pack when the brakes are engaged. "

steveny said:
I wonder if the salesman did?

I doubt it. The RX330 was just release earlier that month. I don;t think Lexus would tip their hat at a better RX when they just release their new redesign a few weeks earlier. Plus, my salesman was a friend of mine:D Ironically, he too bought an 2003 RX300 and was regreting it when the RX330 came out. Then he wanted to get the RX400H when he heard about it:p

bambookid said:

ChrisK: Thanks for your input. When the rear seats fold down is it totally flat?

Not totally flat but flat enough. I would estimate that once locked down in the flat position it maybe has a 15 degree slope.

bambookid said:
Does anyone know when the MDX is due for a redesign?

Most likely 2006, with the launch in fall of '05(based on Honda's recent history of 5 year model runs, the first year of the MDX was 2001)

MDXLuvr/NSXLuvr

Back