Hunt for the Right NSX

I had a look at red NSX today. It is an automatic 1991 model. How is the performance for the auto compared to the manual? Anything I need to know about if I decide to get the automatic model as compared to the manual?

I originally looked for an automatic, CA traffic and all. I ended up buying a 6 speed and could not be happier. These cars are so easy to drive that you do not even realize you are driving a clutch. If you have a physical reason for the automatic, then that is what you need. If your concern might be traffic conditions and driving a clutch, find one with a 5 or 6 speed depending upon year, and drive it for 10 minutes, you will buy the car with the stick.

Good luck -

:) I purchased a 1991 automatic in July of 2003. I love it! I am tired of shifting and enjoy driving my car to and from work frequently in Chicago's terrible traffic conditions.(I have had it up to 140mph) Performance is more than adequate for my needs and I have no plans on tracking the car. Good Luck with you quest.
Wswen

ONLY get the automatic if that is what you have your heart set on. Otherwise it will be a big regret. The auto is down to 252 hp and 210 ft lbs of torque.

If you do purchase an NSX, do not forget one of the most important parts of the purchase process which is the pre-purchase inspection (PPI). It can save you thousands in the long run.

Good luck

I like my 1991 NSX 5 speed but to be honest I wish it had power steering. It can be a pain to drive around the city or to park or make sharp turns and can't make u-turns. However the car is perfect when your going 80+ on the highway. Its a tradeoff. The perfect combination would be a manual with power steering. So if your looking at a 1991 and don't like to shift anyways automatic may not be so bad since power steering is standard. I still like my car though.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advise. Now that I have tried the auto, I need to get into a manul so that I can compare. Issue is that by the time I tried the manual this car may have already been sold off. Anyway hlweyl is right. I also need to find a trusted mechanic to perform the ppi.

Are you going to be using it as daily driver? If not, go with manual. I hate stuck in the traffic with stick, but since NSX is weekend/Midnight toy, I hardly get stuck in any traffic.

KEANLIM said:
Issue is that by the time I tried the manual this car may have already been sold off.
The danger is you may be getting a case of the "gotta have it now" syndrome. If it wasn't your intention to get the automatic at the outset of the decision process, I would say stick with the manual.

I have several reasons for this:
- Plain and simple, the car just works better with the manual. IMO, certain vehicles are well suited with a manual (think NSX, porsche, S2k, even motorcycles) and some are well suited with an auto like luxury cars, minivans, family haulers.
- There is a way better selection of good cars to choose from that are manual (manuals make up about 94% of early NSX's.)
- Resale value... slight
- I use my manual as a daily driver and put between 15k and 20k miles per year. It's a very easy stick to drive.
- Did I say more power?
- etc etc

I'm not trying to offend anyone with the auto... if that's what works for you, then great, that's why Honda offered the car with the auto as optional.

Thank you all for the advise. Now that I have tried the auto, I need to get into a manul so that I can compare. Issue is that by the time I tried the manual this car may have already been sold off. Anyway hlweyl is right. I also need to find a trusted mechanic to perform the ppi.

i bought a automatic because everytime when im driving my car is when im really tired.
when i wake up in the morning drive to work when im tired,
when my work ends and have to drive home when im tired, when my day off i want to rest but have to go play when im tired. etc NY traffic too.
by the way, i love this car as auto !! it feels differnt than any other automatics.(non-nsx's) gear changes faster, could feel the gear change significantly(good way)

Back