HSC---Change in Plan

From the Preisident:

Honda's Fukui: No new N.A. plant
Automotive News / January 03, 2005

Takeo Fukui says Honda may add hybrid models but has no plans to put hybrid powertrains in SUVs or Acuras.

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co.'s product offensive will continue in the United States in the next two years. Honda will launch a redesigned Civic and the Ridgeline SUV this year. In 2006, it will build a new Acura SUV and probably a redesigned Honda CR-V. The company also wants to introduce a car smaller than the Civic.

But Honda has no plans to add a plant in North America, CEO Takeo Fukui says. He was interviewed by Staff Reporter Yuzo Yamaguchi.

What is the status of the HSC, a concept shown at the Tokyo auto show, to replace the Acura NSX? You said you would launch it within two years.
We may have to change the plan for various reasons. So it won't be launched within two years. We need a huge investment on r&d and production, and we are becoming more cautious about the plan than before.

Great find! Sounds like the NSX will live on. Let's hope it is not a hybrid 2+2.

gheba_nsx said:
Ehm, I do not see any news about the NSX living on... am I reading wrong? :confused:

My take on what they said is that their current plans were not good enough to be successful (possibly reffering to the 3.5L V6). I had also read they were not 100% satisfied with the stying.

It sounds like they want a true supercar that will be a sales success and the HSC was not going to cut it.

I still think an HSC with 350HP @ $50K would be a success.

However,for $90-100K though they need a lot more car. At least 500HP to be inline with the competition. Maybe more depending on the weight of the car. If they can produce a 500HP car that weights 2800 lbs, it will rock.

If BMW can make a sedan with a 500HP V10 for $70K, I see no reason why Honda cannot make a 500 HP V10 sports car for $100K.

Re: Sounds to me like a face saving way of saying Sayonara NSX....

liftcontrol said:
I think this is the end of line for the NSX. :redface:
'

I don't understand why you think that. Explain.

brucewinter said:
From the Preisident:

We need a huge investment on r&d and production, and we are becoming more cautious about the plan than before.

This, to me, sounds like the "politically correct" way of saying that....it is too expensive for us to invest the kind of money that will create an NSX replacement that will be good enough to fend off the competition.

Honda have already learned that it takes more to sell an exotic at prices that approach $100k than just quality. At that price range name recognition becomes important. And there is no way Honda can make a true and creditable contender to todays 500hp rivals at reduced cost.

We need a huge investment on r&d and production, and we are becoming more cautious about the plan than before.

To me this means a new powerplant. I say that because there is no more R&D needed for the HSC. No new engine tech. Same old 3.5L V6.

Hi

Well.. no new NSX/HSC for many years. I can live with that because I do not see that I will afford a HSC anytime "soon".

Sounds like they will resurrect the CRX. :)

"The company also wants to introduce a car smaller than the Civic"

That sounds good to me. I think the CRX is a fun car.

Regards

liftcontrol said:
This, to me, sounds like the "politically correct" way of saying that....it is too expensive for us to invest the kind of money that will create an NSX replacement that will be good enough to fend off the competition.

Honda have already learned that it takes more to sell an exotic at prices that approach $100k than just quality. At that price range name recognition becomes important. And there is no way Honda can make a true and creditable contender to todays 500hp rivals at reduced cost.

I would agree with that quality alone will not sell the car, but I do think they could produce a 500HP car to rival todays cars. Just look at Factor X. With the use of Forced induction, the current NSX could be 500HP at just under the $100K price point.

NetViper said:
To me this means a new powerplant. I say that because there is no more R&D needed for the HSC. No new engine tech. Same old 3.5L V6.

I re-read it and to me it still seems they do not want to do any HSC or something else of that type (supercar) and not that the engine was not good enough for a successor of the NSX...

What i read, is the same i posted before in a different topic, its game-over NSX/HSC.
Maybe in a few years when economy is better they will rethink about the whole project, or maybe they are just waiting to see where the HP-war is going...

Mich

bummer, but hey- I love my NSX!

BRUCE said:
Takeo Fukui...

We may have to change the plan for various reasons. So it won't be launched within two years. We need a huge investment on r&d and production, and we are becoming more cautious about the plan than before.

hmmm, yeah... Doesn't sound like too much for optimism for a "NSX replacement", well atleast in the form of the then-planned HSC ("beat Ferrari, blah blah blah...").

I do agree w/ Dutch Black NSX in regards to what is now profitable and globally successful. The money seems to be in the luxury/sports-coupe segment (350Z, G35, S2000, Boxster, CK, SLK, RX8/7(?), TT, M3, Z4, SC430, 6-series, etc...

In 1990, Honda released the world's best all around sports car. But Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissian, and Mazda all made 'some' money on their efforts at the broader market segment w/ the Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX, RX7 (respectively). Also back then, there wasn't much European involvement at all (No CLK, SLK, Boxster, TT, Z3/4, M3 (not as iconic then).

The empty slot in Acura's revamped lineup is the luxury/sports-coupe [~40-50k USD]. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that void is addressed before any consideration of a NSX replacement is further pursued.

It's all dollars & sense. Sad, but tiz is life. :frown:

martin said:
Hi...
"The company also wants to introduce a car smaller than the Civic"

hmmm, Honda does sell two other cars that are smaller thant the civic. I don't recall them being sold in North America, well atleast not in America. From my observation, they aren't analogous to the CRX of years ago. The Honda City, sold throughout Asia (maybe Europe too) is a sedan on par w/ the former Toyota Tercel (sub-compact). A quality econo-box but no tuning potential (atleast that I can see).

NetViper, I think you are reading your desires into the statement that was made by Mr. Fukui. This is a cut and dry proclamation of, "We can't afford to dump good money on a lousy return. So stop daydreaming. Next question please."

Juice said:
NetViper, I think you are reading your desires into the statement that was made by Mr. Fukui. This is a cut and dry proclamation of, "We can't afford to dump good money on a lousy return. So stop daydreaming. Next question please."

Maybe you are right :(

I'm surprised they don't plan to put any hybrid powerplants in any Acuras or SUVs. The MDX/Pilot is an ideal candidate, a great car with fairly lousy gas mileage in its existing form. I agree that the HSC is probably dead. :frown:

gheba_nsx said:
Ehm, I do not see any news about the NSX living on... am I reading wrong? :confused:

No, I read it the same way....sounds like they have rethought the idea of investing money in that supercar and are just going to build the other small cars instead. :(

martin said:
..."The company also wants to introduce a car smaller than the Civic"

That sounds good to me. I think the CRX is a fun car.

Regards

Um, I think they just mean 'smaller'....not a small sports car like the CRX. Sounds like they want to make little sucko cars and no sporty cars. :(

On page 65 in the latest issue of Motor Trend(Feb 05), they listed Takeo Fukui as #18 out of 50 of the most powerful people in the auto industry. It states, "He axed the next-generation NSX , which makes sense financially, but leaves Honda without a halo car to capitalize on its return to form in F1." Really the question is not whether the next-generation NSX will come, its when will the current NSX be discontinued with no replacement.

CChung said:
On page 65 in the latest issue of Motor Trend(Feb 05), they listed Takeo Fukui as #18 out of 50 of the most powerful people in the auto industry. It states, "He axed the next-generation NSX , which makes sense financially, but leaves Honda without a halo car to capitalize on its return to form in F1." Really the question is not whether the next-generation NSX will come, its when will the current NSX be discontinued with no replacement.

That is sad news. I will have to check my motor trend when i get home. As stated elsewhere on this site, it is possible to just update the current car to supercar levels of performance again without investing a ton of money.

Back