how well do these work in your nsx's?

You see these things on ebay all the time, claiming huge hp improvements as well as gas savings. I know and understand the principle, I just wonder if anyone here has one in their car and did they actually improve anything, if so how much? It's hard to believe the ads so before I go and get one its good to ask the experts...you!

Attachments

• fuelmaxx.jpg
    fuelmaxx.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 78
I put one in, but haven't dynoed it yet. The car feels much faster. In fact my 1/4 mile times went from 12.9 IHE to 11.1. I even dusted BIG BULL's Murclieago to 150 mph!

Dude, come on what do you expect from a piece of alluminum that creates a "tornado" in your intake! IF, and that's a big IF there is any improvement it would be less than 1%.

And for the record, I am not stupid enough to put one of those in my $$$ NSX and see if it breaks apart and gets sucked into the engine.

Although it might make a good cookie cutter come Christmas time. :)

Attachments

• Cookie.jpg
    Cookie.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 46
Thats what I figured, and i pondered the issue of a piece coming off and flying into the engine. I know the tornado principle is rooted in science, i really didn't expect much for performance increase. but fuel savings these days might make it worth it if it saved even 10% consumption.

i checked the specific thread on this forum and they trash it so it's obviously a marketing scam more than anything. i thought i'd ask for the hell of it...
thanks guys

So Honda invested millions of dollars in VTEC, PGM-FI, and a lightweight high-revving drivetrain and somehow missed a tornado intake device?

You gotta be kidding. I'm sorry but I can't believe you actually thought this device had any chance of doing anything useful. Otherwise it would be standard equipment on every vehicle made. The car makers could make their federal economy standards with almost no effort and cost whatsoever. :confused: :confused:

...fuel savings these days might make it worth it if it saved even 10% consumption.

It's probably easier to be lighter on the right foot if you want to save fuel. :biggrin:

IIHS%5Cgallery%5C0406_4_16.jpg

if you think i'm kidding i'd like to see what you think of those who actually BOUGHT them?? obviously someone's buying them, it won't be me since i was skeptical from the outset but i wanted to ask someone who actually had. i was looking for someone who already bought and used one to reply...not someone to trash the question. :eek:

Aaron(?),

Don't get discouraged. Guys here on the site have to be skeptical, as there have been people before who come on the forum and try to pitch products, or just be a "troll."

As most have said, in not so few words, it is not a good idea. Too much risk, for little to no reward. But you did make a true statement regarding people buying them, otherwise the product couldn't stick around. I would assume it is the same person who stays up all night watching info-mercials for the "next big thing.":wink:

As for my comrads on Prime, don't think there's not some bozo out there with one in his NSX. Trust me, I found one in mine after my purchase. Went straight to the circular file...nothing surprises me these days. I was lucky, and found it quick, if it stayed in for too long, I might not have been.

Studies show that Having your windows up and driving with the a/c on burns less gas then having it off with the windows down because of the drag..... Theres alot of things people could do to save gas mileage. The nsx comunity isnt one thats going to be very interested.....

If you drive a sports car your not worried about gas mileage.:biggrin:

Studies show that Having your windows up and driving with the a/c on burns less gas then having it off with the windows down because of the drag..... Theres alot of things people could do to save gas mileage. The nsx comunity isnt one thats going to be very interested.....

thats just a myth:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000565;p=1

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/106842/article.html#test4

Wrongo. Windows down and AC off and you save gas.

Besides, who still has AC? It's like 50 pounds of worthless crap.

Back