How to start racing??

The racing bug is biting mr pretty hard and so I think I might take the bait. I would like to get involved in track racing but I have no idea where to start. Autocross doesn't do much for me and neither does 1/4. I'm thinking about using an E36 as my platform and working from there. Anyone have any places for me to search (SCCA type stuff I guess). Also, what race tracks are near the MD/VA/DC area? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

Conor

Conor,

The answer depends on your ultimate goal. Do you want to race for fun or do you want to end up as a pro driver? If your answer is the former, I would checkout BMWCCA Club Racing. That is what I run my M3 in and they are a great group of folks with super camaraderie. There are also many great drivers in the series that also race at the pro level, but safety and machinery preservation is certainly emphasized over extreme competition.

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com

If you want to be a pro driver, you will probably gain more experience quicker and cheaper by racing karts and then moving onto something that is more competitive than club racing.

How much track time do you already have? Is your car prepared for racing? If not, I would recommend buying a car that is already sorted, it will be faster and far cheaper than doing it yourself.

Bob

Attachments

• m3_road_atlsmaller.jpg
    m3_road_atlsmaller.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 244
Interresting that the bug is bitting but it sounds like you have never been on a road course.My suggestion to you is to get involved in the track activities of your local BMW club.Once you go to one event you will see the wacky world of the wkend track junkies.You will network with other folks who will give you heads up on other clubs that rent tracks and offer hpde's.If you want an affordable fast track directly to real wheel to wheel racing then get involved in shifter carting.If you have deep pockets then look into renting a real race car at the same hpde's that I mentioned above.Only after this can you say the bug has realy bitten,good luck and have fun!

Thanks guys, I'm get very excited already! And no, I do not have any track time yet. I'm still trying to find some track events that are anywhere near me (though I'm sure they're getting ready to close for the NE winter weather). For now, I think I will just be doing this for fun. I'm not sure if I will attempt anything professional (might not justify pops spending $100k on college:D )

Conor

I think the track closest to MD is summit point raceway. http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/ They usually have Friday At The Track event which provides instructor for the beginners I believe. There are also NASA events http://www.nasaracing.net/ they also have HPDE events(high perf driver education). I for one, will pursue more track events next year, hopefully once a month at minimum and will be posting in mid-atl forum so keep your eyes open. The only problem is that these events fill up quick esp in Novice class so you have to sign up quick.

The best bet would be to enroll in an advanced/race school during one of your semester vacations. This way you'll learn how to drive on the track and you'll determine if the future investment is worth it. I always get a chuckle when people want to spend a $hit load of money getting into racing but don't know anything about the sport.

The best dollars spent are always on driver education, not the car itself in the beginning.

"How to start racing??"

Press the gas, press the brake, turn the wheel, repeat.

Maybe not in that order, but those three things seem to happen a lot. Oh I forgot shift, throw that in between everything.

But seriously, I think the first thing to do is take some lessons and see if it is for you.

From everything I have heard and read, starting with shifter carts makes a lot of sense.

Good Luck!

How to start racing

As some have said, Karting is an excellent way of getting into the world of motorsports. Many of the European racers have entered this sport via Karting. Imagine yourself in a open wheel Kart, 2" from the pavement, pulling 2g's, and hearing the engine scream at 18,000rpm. You'll have a big grin on your face, pretending to be MS for the day.
Instead of Shifters, I would recommend going with a 100cc or 125cc rotax, these are nonshifters and you will be able to concentrate completely on driving and choosing race lines. There are many shifters that have bad habits which are masked with the raw power of the shifter karts. Shifter are awesome but for you first Karting experience go with a 100cc.

Paul

Back