How to remove panel under steering column

Does any one know how the top part of panel 77210-SL0-A01ZA (part #9 shown here) is attached? I can see that the bottom two tabs are screwed in place (my tabs broke off) but can't figure out how to remove the panel. I'm trying to repair or replace it. The covering is coming off, too, so I'd like to work on it in front of me rather than contorted upside down underneath the steering column. :) Thanks in advance for any pointers anyone can provide.

It's held on with clips around the key hole area and opposite side. Very hard to pull it out, be careful to not break it. Try using a pry tool right where the clips are at.

Just did this - the one on the left (LHD) you can simply pull on the whole left side and it will free - the one on the right is a bear - i use an overly large pry tool from over the top just to the left of the key. Of course wrap the tool with tape. I broke my original some time ago and finally have the process down (assuming a can remember how next time).

Thank for the detail. I was afraid of that. I managed to find some pics of the backside of this piece in another thread and I think I can see the attachment points. A lot of fasteners used in the NA1 seem to hold stronger than the plastic they're made of. Ugh.

Same problem. It seems the metal clip on the plastic tab seems to grip the frame mount point better than the plastic tab so it either pulls out of the plastic or breaks the tab. I had to check a wire last year and pulled PRETTY hard - eventually gave up and fixed the wire from below. But one of these days I'm going to have to pull hard enough to either break it or ...

Pics here:

If you get it out, I think @EuroBoutique recommended removing the metal clip and wrapping the tab with sticky felt tape. It holds it better, doesn't rattle, and can be disassembled without breaking the tab. That's my plan if I can ever get it out.

Yes the factory piece is held in place by metal clips which grab WAY too tightly. We suggest when you replace the knee bolster after removal to pop the metal clips off and just use the friction tape. It works well with the carbon replacement since it's super stiff and those 2 lower screws is all that is needed.

This video will be helpful:

I went under there and found that at least on the left side, I could reach behind and push at the same time. Since I really just need to repair the bottom two tabs and smear some contact cement around the panel edges to re-stick the covering, I think I'll hold off wrestling with the tabs until I *have* to remove the panel.

I'm a new owner and just fixing things as I find them. After this, I only have one more thing I know of that's broken (knock on wood): this piece, 77446-SL0-A01ZC, I think (item 18 here). It's a single piece that stretches the entire width just underneath the windshield and it's cracked right in the middle. I'm wondering if the windshield needs to be removed for that. As far as I can tell it's the same piece the VIN plate is riveted to.

Um. Bad news Rusty. That part is cracked right in the middle on about 90% of NSX's, basically any that sat in the sun without a sunshade. Replacement isn't that expensive, except for the labour of removing the entire front dash... Even if you wanted to do it, I wouldn't for fear of developing some sort of rattle

I hear that if your AC evaporator goes, the dash has to come out, so I'd fix it in that case, but otherwise I'd leave it. There are some folks who've made aluminum or plastic covers to cover the crack. I've seen a few threads on it, so search around; I did find. Unfortunately no pics anymore, but perhaps on the way-back machine:

This sure seems like a piece @EuroBoutique should be making. A little matte black carbon cover that would look perfect and install without removing the dash. Would it be like the fake carbon interior trim covers except real?

Last edited:
Back