how to drive car back home from another state?

I am purchasing a car possibly this saturday. I have not paid the owner yet. I'll pay him when I see the car and checks out fine on visual inspection. My question is: how can I drive it back? I was thinking of using DAS but that's $700 terminal to terminal. Now, if I decide to drive it back all I need to do is buy insurance for the car and strap on license plates from my previous car. Is this legal? Can this be done? Pls. feel free to share your thoughts. How do you guys do it besides shipping the car? Thanks in advance and soon to be an nsx owner hehehe

Contact the DMV or Motor Vehicle Dept. of the seller's state. Check on Yahoo for their DMV website and phone number. They will usually have temp registration and plates that they will give to out-of-state buyers for a small fee ($10-$15). You will need proof of out-of-state residence and your insurance card.

It's quite a simple process actually. Once you get the car home you can register it in your state.

I live in Texas, purchased my last NSX in California, and drove it 1800 miles home.

Anyway, You don't have to worry about license plates; you will keep the ones currently registered on the car. Just make sure you have a notarized bill of sale.

For insurance, just call your agent after you've taken possession and have them fax you an insurance binder.

That's all you need.

However if you don't have any insurance, or the car your buying isn't currently registered then you have minor issues.

Hope this helps.
Jonathan

Hey MadFast,
Almost congrats on your almost purchase! I know you've been looking for sometime now. I recently bought my NSX out of state and thought I would give you some of my info!
"How can you drive it back?"
Well, thats kinda up to you? I rented a car from here at 2AM, drove it straight there, and checked out the NSX, and returned the rental there while I purchased the NSX. Only got charged like $80-$90 dollars.
Insurance, well I got it before I left to get the NSX, and told them to start it on the day I was to pick it up! They faxed me a copy of the Ins. card for me to carry around until I got the real one in the mail.
And about the plates, I 'think' its ok to roll back with the plates that are on there until you get the car registared in your state? The guy I bought my car from wanted to keep the plates, so I drove with no plates what so ever! But I did carry the Wire Agreement(as a reciept), the title having just been signed over to me, and Ins., oh, and my valid license. I don't think cops would write you a ticket with this much documentation.
Also, I paided by wire transfer. I checked the car out, then we took it to the Acura dealer where they checked it out also. As soon as I had the green light, I called my bank here at home, told my banker to wire the money(had the wire agreement already typed out and signed sent to her). Shortly after we got to his bank, the funds were in his account. The title was in my hand, a smile was on my face, and I began my way home.

Good Luck,
Z

Congrats on the NSX!!!! All you have to do is call your insurance company and tell them that you just purchased a NSX and provide the details that they ask for. You need to obtain a bill of sale from the seller and have them sign it as well as you. This is a receipt so they can't call the police on you for a stolen car. Also, this helps if you are approached by a policeman as to the transfer of the car to you. If I'm not mistaken, the FAQ has info on this. I drove my car back from Vegas when I purchased it and used the plates that the seller had on the car until I was able to get the car registered in my state. I think you have 60 days to get your plates before the bill of sale expires.

Happy "X" ing!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

I'm in NJ and last year I sold my NSX to an out-of-state buyer. NJ DMV has special 14 day paper plates for $10 that out of state buyers can take (like the ones dealers give you).

Now I'm looking at one in CT so I called the CT DMV. They also have the same plates so if I get the car I'll just pick up the plates from a CT DMV office. Besides the plates on the car are registered to the seller and technically he is supposed to surrender them to his state. (Depends on how paranoid he is!)

[This message has been edited by NSXSTER (edited 08 October 2002).]

Originally posted by JGuidry:
Anyway, You don't have to worry about license plates; you will keep the ones currently registered on the car.

NOT in all states. Some states, the plates stay with the car, others, the plates belong to the owner!!

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

Originally posted by NSXSTER:
Contact the DMV or Motor Vehicle Dept. of the seller's state. Check on Yahoo for their DMV website and phone number.

Or, easier still, click here for a web page that has links to the DMV in each of the 50 states plus the District of Columbia (except for Oklahoma - click here - and Kentucky - click here). Sorry, Richard, Guam isn't shown.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 08 October 2002).]

wow! that was a quick reply guys.
First, I'd like to thank you all for helping me out with this transaction. I really appreciate it and look forward to meeting you all at the next nsx meeting.

The problem is that I can't issue the out-of-state temporary tag cuz I am leaving on a friday and getting there on a Saturday morning. I wish I could leave earlier but I have school till 4pm on friday. There is no way I can make it to the DMV in OH to issue the temporary tag. What do you guys think I should do? The owner allowed me to drive with his license plates but he said that it has expired already. he said if I get pulled over just to play ignorant. What do you think guys? or should I just avoid all the hassle and ship the car over? Renting a truck for $90 bucks is not a bad idea either though. damn, didn't think that buying a nsx would take so much work. Let me know what I should do guys. Thanks so much for your support.

Dave
smile.gif

Originally posted by madfast:
The problem is that I can't issue the out-of-state temporary tag cuz I am leaving on a friday and getting there on a Saturday morning. I wish I could leave earlier but I have school till 4pm on friday. There is no way I can make it to the DMV in OH to issue the temporary tag. What do you guys think I should do?

Phone numbers and hours for the Ohio BMV auto title offices are shown here, and many of them are open on Saturdays.

Relax, and make a few phone calls. Find the OHBMV auto title office that's open Saturdays and nearest to the seller. Give them a call and ask them how they handle purchases of Ohio cars by out-of-state buyers. They can explain what's needed and can confirm how late they're open, etc. Figure out a time schedule that will enable you to drive there (with a friend to drive your car back, I assume?), stay overnight, check out the car in daylight, and get the temporary registration at the OHBMV before they close. If that schedule doesn't work for a Friday/Saturday, figure out a time when it does work.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 October 2002).]

Back