How to crimp an RJ11 cable for a V1 radar?

I had the cables for a V1 wired by a car stereo place a while ago. Recently, the clip that I plug into the V1 broke so I am trying to replace it.

I have the crimping tool for an RJ11. I thought you just cut the cable, strip the exterior so the black, green, red, yellow cables show. Put that into the RJ11 end and use the crimping tool to crimp it. But it's not working. I've tried it several times reversing the direction of the black, green, red, yellow. Am I doing something wrong? Are you supposed to actually expose the wires of the 4 colored cables? I thought the crimping tool went right through the colored cables.

Thanks for your help.

Phone home.

It's just a regular phone cord. Unless you're doing some fancy wiring, I'd just go to Radio Shack or whatever and get a phone cord.

It's a regular phone cord that has been wired from one end of my Mercedes to the other. I don't know (and don't want to) how to remove all the panels to run a new cord. I have the concealed display mounted in the center compartment, the power coming from the fuse box (I think). The bottom line is re-wiring isn't really an option for me.

So back to the original question. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with crimping the RJ11 end?

Thanks.

If this was wired as a telephone RJ-11 cable then it is straight through - meaning that the wires are in the same order at both ends. Can you get to the other end? Should be wired black red green yellow but the colors are not important - the fact that they are in the same order at both ends of the cable is what matters.
No, you do not have to bare the wires. Just cut them off dead even - straight across - make sure that they are inserted ALL the way up into the RJ-11 plug and crimp away.

Thanks. I'm certain the wire is a regular telephone RJ11 because I bought it from Radio Shack before it was installed. I can't see the color order because the display is mounted in the middle console too close to the edge to be able to remove the other jack. But I've tried crimping the color order in both directions and it's still not working. I'll try it again making sure I cut the colored wires evenly. I'm pretty sure I'm inserting the wires all before crimping but I have noticed very slight unevenness in the cut. I'll give it another try. Thanks again.

Back