How much would you pay for a 91 in the Snap Ring range?

I'm just curious, but what are your thoughts on this? I have the opportunity to purchase a 91 in the snap ring range. I'm guessing that it has not been fixed. There is no documentation on the vehicle and it did sustain some minor damage that was professionally fixed and the car was repainted. The car has around 80K miles.

bigboy650 said:
I'm just curious, but what are your thoughts on this? I have the opportunity to purchase a 91 in the snap ring range. I'm guessing that it has not been fixed. There is no documentation on the vehicle and it did sustain some minor damage that was professionally fixed and the car was repainted. The car has around 80K miles.

Zero,nada. Why bother when you can buy a non-snap car?

skyguy said:
Zero,nada. Why bother when you can buy a non-snap car?

I've done a fair amount of research and it seems that there have actually been quite a few failures "outside" of the published range. I just wanted some of your opinions. It seems that unless the problem has been fixed (either before or after) in the early year NSXs you always have that "I wonder if it will happen to me?" in the back of your head.

For what it's worth, I bought a new 2003 Acura TL-S (an awesome sedan, by the way) and they were running into a similar situation with transmission failures. I've yet to have any problems, but you always hear about those who have, not those who haven't.

I just figure you really only have two obvious options: fix it and don't worry about it- or drive it til you have to fix it and then worry about it.

other issues?

If a '91-'92 5spd NSX transmission has a manufacturers serial # that falls into "snap-ring" range, it will fail at some point due to a production faux plas.

However, NSX's outside that range of transmissions are 100% immune to snap-ring failure as that small metal 'ring' on the upper housing of the transmission was corrected. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say documented snap-ring failures in NSX's out of range? A transmission w/o a snap-ring can't fail due to something it doesn't have!?!

You should know that there is a preventive fix for snap-ring range NSX's... replacement of the upper-transmission housing will correct the problem. The cost for the parts & labor can near $2k. Sometimes it's good to combine w/ a clutch replacement or JDM-gear/R&P swap.

I'd think it's fair to say you can negotiate $1.5k from the asking price just based on snap-ring.

Other determinants of the NSX's value will be: *mileage, *service/maint' history, *aftermarket mods' (wheels/stereo/body-kits), *vehicle/title history, paint & body condition, seats/dash & interior condition, and if there are any issues w/ the a/c, stereo, or other electrical/mechanical/technical shortcomings.

Goodluck.

I say $20k, considering it's been in accident, and no documentation, did you do carfax? I almost bought jeffj's 93' here on prime for $23k before I spotted my 94', I believe his is still for sale, looks sharp, if you like black.

Depending on how clean the car is or is not is a personal preference for price, the damage/repair does change things as well i didnt think so much about that. I bought a 91 with 44.8k that was very clean and is in snap ring range. paid $27.7k and another $1.1k to have it shipped here,my choice on shipping instead of driving from Tenesee.
The transmition will fail but it was more important to me that the rest of the car was clean/sound. I just got done installing a CTSC and now have 49.5k on the car since just last spring,yikes. But I bought the car to drive not look at in the garage. You can get a stock tranny rebuilt for around $1.5k from Mark Basche. I think/hope i got lucky and bought a jdm used tranny here on prime and it sits until clutch or snap ring goes, or I just get bored

Back