How much would you offer?

Hi,
May I ask you for some advice? I’m interested in this 2002 nsx 30k miles, salvage title and according to his carfax there are 5 owners. The 4th owner had got into a rear right quarter panel accident. He had it for about 2yrs but the carfax doesn’t show which autobody shop repaired it. Also it seemed like after the accident , the car didn’t get driven. I will attached the carfax report.

His asking price is $84,999.
How much would you offer provided everything check out and the car looks great inside and out.

What he told me:
No mechanical or electrical problems. Car drive straight with no weird noise or shake. Professional been repaired.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5430.png
    IMG_5430.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5433.png
    IMG_5433.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi,
May I ask you for some advice? I’m interested in this 2002 nsx 30k miles, salvage title and according to his carfax there are 5 owners. The 4th owner had got into a rear right quarter panel accident. He had it for about 2yrs but the carfax doesn’t show which autobody shop repaired it. Also it seemed like after the accident , the car didn’t get driven. I will attached the carfax report.

His asking price is $84,999.
How much would you offer provided everything check out and the car looks great inside and out.

What he told me:
No mechanical or electrical problems. Car drive straight with no weird noise or shake. Professional been repaired.

Thank you
Welcome to NSX Prime! We're happy to help you out. A salvage NSX can be totally OK to own, provided it has been repaired properly. The factory Body Repair Manual contains very easy instructions about how to get these cars back to OEM spec where, despite the title, they will drive an operate as an undamaged NSX and protect the occupants. The problem is that most owners and shops (and certainly insurance companies) are not willing to spend the time and money it takes to do the job right.

Instead, what we see 90% of the time is a car that has a quick repair that is covered up with bondo and then re-painted to look pretty on the outside. Unfortunately, the cheap and fast way they weld the panels together presents a serious risk of injury or death to the occupants should the car be hit again. Thus, we always advise prospective salvage buyers to check very carefully, because in many instances their life is truly on the line.

The NSX does not have a "frame" in the conventional sense, but its monocoque structure does utilize structural members that are thick extruded beams similar to a box frame. The "frame" is "H" shaped with the passenger bubble in the middle. When you inspect it, you should look for seams or excessive undercoat on each of the "arms" that stick out from the "H". The front frame rails especially. Similarly, look at the extruded side sills while under the car for the same thing- seams and/or too much or new-looking undercoat.

Another thing you can do is use the Body Repair Manual to measure some control points in an "X" pattern to make sure the car is straight. "Drives straight" is 100% BS and tells you nothing about the actual state of the frame. I typically measure the front bay, engine bay, trunk and door hoops. This will tell you if the frame is bent or if it was a shoddy cut-and-paste repair. It can also reveal repairs not disclosed on the CarFax.

Since you know there was a right rear collision, I'd look real hard at that area on the car. It's possible to fix a crumpled trunk area, but check for seams and excessive undercoat. Measure as many control points as you can. The only way to really know is to pull the quarter panel and check the body, but I understand they may not let you do that.

If it checks out OK, then $84k is a decent price for a 2002 NA2 MT. I'd also inspect the engine for oil leaks- they will present as a buildup of black grease/grit on the heads and/or engine block.

Back