How much would the follwing cost to fix?

So I looked at a 1993 NSX today with 123,000 miles and it had lots of issues.

Could you help me price out repair prices on the folowing things?

1.Seatbelt no longer attached to seat

2. Drivers side doorhandle broken

3.Window swtiches physically broken

4. Rotors warped

5. Clutch throwout bearing feels wrong

6. Headlights don't go down by themselves immediatly after lights are switched off

7. Window motors seems bad, drivers side window dosen't really roll itself up all the way and is extremly slow.

8. Drivers side window switch only rolls down the passanger side window, won't roll it back up.

9. The steering was very very heavy almost felt like power steering was removed?

Anyways how much should I offer for this car? It was a Repo with 3 owners :frown:

Last edited:
With these many issues and a repo, why would you buy it? Sounds like a problem car you will only throw money at IMO. Also does it have a clean title, I would check that issue also.

coolnsx said:
With these many issues and a repo, why would you buy it? Sounds like a problem car you will only throw money at IMO. Also does it have a clean title, I would check that issue also.
It does have a clean title.

I'm looking for a project car is the main reason. I already have 2004 S2000 but I just love the looks of the NSX :biggrin:

Those are all relatively common and mostly minor issues. The clutch will be the single most expensive item to replace at around $1800. Some of those things you can fix yourself following the DIYs posted on this site. However I would take it to an Acura dealer for a FULL PPI including a compression leakdown test. Assuming nothing else is wrong with the car and the paint and interior are in good shape she's worth just under $20K

Kelvinz said:
9. The steering was very very heavy almost felt like power steering was removed?

Is it an auto? If not it shouldn't have power steering. EPS was added to the 5spds in '95.

Hugh said:
Those are all relatively common and mostly minor issues. The clutch will be the single most expensive item to replace at around $1800. Some of those things you can fix yourself following the DIYs posted on this site. However I would take it to an Acura dealer for a FULL PPI including a compression leakdown test. Assuming nothing else is wrong with the car and the paint and interior are in good shape she's worth just under $20K

Good to know so how much are we talking for the rest of the item 2-3k?

The large note is "Assuming nothing else is wrong with the car"

With that many minor issues the previous owners (who were apparently short on scratch) failed to rectify what else did they allow to lapse? This seems like a very large problem car to me, and certainly not the best 'ticket of admission' to nsx ownership - how low is the price, for you to even consider this car?

scorp965 said:

With that many minor issues the previous owners (who were apparently short on scratch) failed to rectify what else did they allow to lapse? This seems like a very large problem car to me, and certainly not the best 'ticket of admission' to nsx ownership - how low is the price, for you to even consider this car?
My exact point!

scorp965 said:

$23,000 is what they are asking. I probably should just wait :frown:

Kelvinz said:
Offer 20k, maybe they will move it.

I would be very scared with the level of issues you found, but if you like to gamble, and a professional purchase inspection doesn't turn up anything alarming, and the car rides okay, and there is no evidence of a collision, and you get a leakdown test completed on the motor, maybe it would be worth your while? The car certainly needs TLC, but for a '93, in clean condition with complete service, it would be worth low to mid $30k's... As you describe it this car is a risk, were it me I would move on, but certainly you could also make a case for proceeding cautiously, and perhaps tossing the seller a lowball when everything checks out.

Kelvinz said:

Is "they" a private seller or a dealer? Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the car without first having an Acura dealer do a full PPI. God only knows what else they might find wrong with it.

Hugh said:
Is "they" a private seller or a dealer? Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the car without first having an Acura dealer do a full PPI. God only knows what else they might find wrong with it.
small car dealer, I'm probably just going to forget about it and wait for a better car to come along

Kelvinz said:
small car dealer, I'm probably just going to forget about it and wait for a better car to come along

If it checks out ok with an Acura dealer and you can snag it for less than $20K you'd be getting a pretty good deal. Where is the car located?

scorp965 said:
a '93, in clean condition with complete service, it would be worth low to mid $30k's..

This one, recently offered at $28K was a great deal. I tried talking 3 friends into buying it but they procrastinated and apparently it's sold. I bought my '93 2 1/2 years ago for $29K with 70,000 miles. I got lucky and was the first one to call the guy. He lived about 200 miles away from me. I told him I'd be up in two days with a cashier's check and if the car was as he described it on Prime the deal was done. He honored our verbal agreement because he received several calls shortly after mine and one or two of the callers offered to pay more than he was asking. Needless to say I got very lucky and found a cherry. "Charlotte" now has over 160,000 miles on her and is running and looking as good as the day I bought her.

Daedalus said:
With 123,000 miles? More like mid-high $20s, based on what private party sellers have been asking.

It depends on region, and time of sale - around summer time, here in SoCal, with a new timing belt and clutch, mid to low $30k's for a 1993 is very much possible, and (imo) reasonable - this would be for a pristine example, with service completly up to date.

I would rather have a car with 120k miles, that has been exceptionally cared for, over a car with 60k miles that has not seen the same level of care, especially over a span as large as 13 years; 120k miles is under 10k miles a year, if an nsx enthusiast daily drove the car I would see no reason to prefer a car with less mileage that had been sitting in a garage for the same period of time. Regardless the example we are focused on does not fit into this context, that is why the sellers are asking low $20k's for it - were it in great condition it would be worth more, were it a pristine example of a 1993 nsx I would have no problem throwing out the mid to low $30k figure.

IMO it's not even worth thinking about getting all the visible issues repaired. A car that was so neglected is always good for some hidden costs in the future.

goldNSX said:
IMO it's not even worth thinking about getting all the visible issues repaired. A car that was so neglected is always good for some hidden costs in the future.

You're making the car sound a lot worse than he's describing it. The issues he listed are common and minor. However he didn't comment on the overall condition of the exterior and interior of the car. It still needs to go through a thorough PPI.

scorp965 said:
It depends on region, and time of sale - around summer time, here in SoCal, with a new timing belt and clutch, mid to low $30k's for a 1993 is very much possible, and (imo) reasonable - this would be for a pristine example, with service completly up to date.

I would rather have a car with 120k miles, that has been exceptionally cared for, over a car with 60k miles that has not seen the same level of care, especially over a span as large as 13 years; 120k miles is under 10k miles a year, if an nsx enthusiast daily drove the car I would see no reason to prefer a car with less mileage that had been sitting in a garage for the same period of time. Regardless the example we are focused on does not fit into this context, that is why the sellers are asking low $20k's for it - were it in great condition it would be worth more, were it a pristine example of a 1993 nsx I would have no problem throwing out the mid to low $30k figure.
But how, specifically, do you know if a car has been exceptionally cared for? The condition of the paint? Compression/leak down? Where do you draw the line between maintenance and replacement of wear items, like motors, bushings, bearings and struts? You see no reason to prefer a car driven 4-5k/year to a seemingly identical car driven 2x as much? There is a major correlation between mileage and asking price (no surprise) to cover wear and tear. It works out to around 11.5 cents/mile for the NA1 NSX (varies slightly, depending on model year). The market is never wrong; some people just find better deals than others. A well-cared for '93 with 123,000 miles for low-mid $30s is, as you say, "very much possible". The question is whether it's a good deal, or even a fair deal. I would like to think it was, because it would mean that I got a smoking deal on my car. After regressing over 100 data points I'm convinced a better deal would not be hard to find, even in socal in the summer.

Hugh said:
You're making the car sound a lot worse than he's describing it. The issues he listed are common and minor. However he didn't comment on the overall condition of the exterior and interior of the car. It still needs to go through a thorough PPI.

Ok, I might be spoiled by the average condition of an NSX here in Switzerland. :) Mine is nearly if not to say perfect after 15 years due to some preventive tasks (main relay, window fix things etc.) and special care.
I don't see these issues as unusual, they might be minor. But what is really in my concern is that the car has 9 (!) 'minor' issues at the same time which sum up to the strong conclusion that the car has been neglected quite a long time. They didn't come up just one day before the car was on sale. :) I could have lived with point 5 to 9 but not with point 1 to 4.
There are some other hidden points which are not visible seen like (just guessing) no oil change, cold engine to redline, synchros at the end of their life etc.
On the other hand the car is honest enough. The seller could get a higher price if some of the minor things have been done at low costs.
I think that this car has been on the race track due to some of the minor issues, i.e. rotors warped.

But here again I might be spoiled. :) In this case I would have taken my money and runned away. :)

Back