How Much For 91 With Only 500 Miles

I'm looking at buying a 91 NSX with only 750 km or 500 miles on it. Blk/blk 5 speed. The cd changer and bracket kit are still in the boxes. Just woundering what you may think its worth? No its not in snap ring range. The car is kept on jack stands is a heated garage. If I offer to much I get into the range of a low mile NSX-T. But this would be like getting a brand new car. I'm not worried about the t-belt I can change that myself. I'm thinking $55,000 cdn.

I wonder:

- has it ever been titled? Does the warrantee apply?
- was it started regularly?
- was the AC exercised regularly?

Honestly - I would rather have a 10,000 mile car that gets driven 800 miles / year then a 500 mile car that hasn't been started in years. The seals need lubrication, the cylinder walls need lubrication, the ABC solenoids are never exercised, etc etc etc.

OTOH, a car with so few miles will be cosmetically perfect inside and out. THAT is what you are buying. I agree that mechanically it may be more prone to problems from no use. I also suspect someone with the handle "nsx-tech" will be very well-equipped to handle those problems... :)

Sounds like a great car, and I would agree that I'd value it at around $55-60K.

500 miles. He bought it and took it home on a trailer. he drive a few miles every few months at 3:00am so there is no traffic and then puts it away.

I think I would have to pass on that one. Like others have said, I would rather drive a car that has low miles on it than no miles on it. Also, is it in Snap ring range?

no its not in snap ring range. And no its not driven hard. He drives it just to move the fluids and bearings. My big thought on this is do I sell my 91 with 70,000 km(45,000 miles) for this car price around the $55k cdn or spend $5k to $10k more for low mile 95 NSX-T??

nsx-tech said:
no its not in snap ring range. And no its not driven hard. He drives it just to move the fluids and bearings. My big thought on this is do I sell my 91 with 70,000 km(45,000 miles) for this car price around the $55k cdn or spend $5k to $10k more for low mile 95 NSX-T??

I would not sell yours for a 95T. Keep saving and sell it for a 97T when the time is right.

I agree with Viper. I would pass on this car and wait till you can get a 97+. I don't see a reason to get a car 'exactly' like what you have for more money just because it has got fewer miles on it.

nsx-tech said:
I would buy a 97 next. Finding 97 or newer in canada is very hard.

I know it is not an easy task, but honestly, it is worth it.

nsx-tech said:
I honestly think the seller is blowing smoke over you.

Who would buy one of the most usable, reliable super cars of the century and not drive it for 14 years?

He might as well have bought a statue or a piece of painting for that matter, and put the money to better use.

No one I know of that is sane would do that any way. I really really have a hard believing someone would do that. With a McLaren or Enzo, I might believe that better.

I have known this car since the day it came off the truck. He bought it as a collector and he has several cars that he has stored away. There is no blowing of smoke here. The car is like new. It would need some going over before using as a daily driver but thats not a problem. My wife thinks we should buy it for me to drive and she would take mine. If we didn't get the winters we get here I'd go for that but I park my car for 4 1/2 months of the year so having 2 is not a good idea.

nsx-tech said:
I'm looking at buying a 91 NSX with only 750 km or 500 miles on it. Blk/blk 5 speed. The cd changer and bracket kit are still in the boxes. Just woundering what you may think its worth? No its not in snap ring range. The car is kept on jack stands is a heated garage. If I offer to much I get into the range of a low mile NSX-T. But this would be like getting a brand new car. I'm not worried about the t-belt I can change that myself. I'm thinking $55,000 cdn.

That's a very impressive sounding car... but I tend to agree with most of the other comments here, thats kind of a waste. I don't know if NSX's in canada go for more of a premium than down here in the USA, but 55,000 cdn sounds a bit high.

I'd just like to ask you this, why buy older technology... previous generation trans, breaks, engine, chassis... rims...all for something that absolutely will not last when there are other options in your price range? 500 mileage, thats kinda cool... but what does it net you, especially when ya need to freshen it up? Sure, the car will look virtually flawless, but use it as a daily driver and you'll change before you know it.

Unless you're a collector yourself, I'd pass this one up.

I'm starting to agree with all of you that if I'm going to spend more money on another NSX that I'll have to look for a 97 or newer. And here in Canada the price range for 91's is higher than the U.S. they range from $36k for one with 160,000 km(100k miles) to high $40's even low $50's for low mileage one's. If you buy one in the U.S. the best way to figure out what it will cost by the time you get it here is your purchase price plus add 50% for exhange, duty, and taxes. Then add shipping,federal and provincal inspections. It all adds up very fast. So if you buy one for $30k by the time you get it into Canada you'll have $45k into it.

nsx-tech said:
I have known this car since the day it came off the truck. He bought it as a collector and he has several cars that he has stored away. There is no blowing of smoke here. The car is like new. It would need some going over before using as a daily driver but thats not a problem. My wife thinks we should buy it for me to drive and she would take mine. If we didn't get the winters we get here I'd go for that but I park my car for 4 1/2 months of the year so having 2 is not a good idea.
wow, that's really mind boggling.

Why buy one of the most drivable cars and put less than 500 miles on it in 14 years? I simply can not comprehend that. I know of no exotic car that would get so few miles put on it.

This coming from someone who travels frequently, has put hundreds times more miles on rental cars than my own car, and I have 3 other cars besides the NSX to drive, and yet I still manage to put hundreds of miles on my NSX in a few months. In fact in one outing alone I put 250+ miles on my NSX.

If this story is true I think the owner is truly nuts. :confused:

call me skeptical I guess...

I see no inherent problem with purchasing the car if you really want it. The problem that I see is the rate of depreciation speeds up as you rack up the miles.

If it is worth 55-60K now, what will it be worth with 5K, 10K, 20K and so on?

Either way, have fun with your "tough" decision!

It is very difficult to say what an NSX is worth in Canada. We know asking prices but we don't know selling prices. I think with the relatively strong Canadian dollar that selling prices have dropped very far in 2 short years. Asking prices have not dropped much.
If you are sure you are going to keep the car for a long time then you should buy it.

Wow! A fantastic find but $55,000 Cdn may be a bit high although I have seen other 91s with much more miles (obviously) listed for as much or more but don't know what they eventually sold for.

With today's exchange rate the car would cost you about $45,000 USD. For reference, I bought my 91 a year ago with 9200 KM (5700 miles) for approx $30,000 USD from a very good friend ... I think I made out ok. :smile:

My car looked like it just came from the showroom (still does) so I can't imagine how good this car must look.

NSXs do cost more in Canada then they do in the US so it is not realistic to do a straight comparison. A new NSX in Canada lists for $142,000 cdn or approx $114,000 USD ... significantly more than the list of $89,000 in the US. I'm sure other countries have different pricing as well.

Now if you could get the car for $45,000 cdn this would make it a truly amazing story, one you could tell your grand children about. :biggrin:

I am not sure if anyone ever went through the trouble of asking what you wanted to use the car for before throwing out all of the opinions....if they did, I apologize for my oversight.

If you want a daily driver, then this might not be the right car for you. Taking a car that was essentially kept in a time capsule and then turning it into a daily driver will yield you a huge hit on depreciation. If you plan to keep the car forever (as I do with mine) then this is a moot point.

If you want to keep the car for only occasional use or collector appeal, then I believe you have found the perfect car. Quite honestly I would guess that has to be one of the lowest mileage, if not the lowest mileage, early NSX's in the world excluding the one kept by Honda at the factory that has about 25 km on it. Actually, I would love to see pictures of this car...do you have any?? I would have some just for conversation pieces if nothing else.

No matter what, I wish you luck in your decision. By the way, why is the owner deciding to sell now?? :confused:

Extensive pictures and official verification of mileage would drive the price of this car up, way way, up for the right NSX enthusiast. Given the right life opportunity, and if this car is true........it would be sitting on MY jackstands.

Marketing, people!!

If you do buy this car, it would be a shame to drive it.
Who ever ends up with it will be in a real dilemma,
as it is a Museum piece.
Leave it for a true collector.
Buy one with 50-70k mi.- have fun & drive the wheels off of it.
JMO as a former collector who loves to drive. :biggrin:

Back