How many of you use a California Duster?

After having spent many hours washing, clay bar-ing, and waxing my car, it's dusty again--even with a car cover on. *Sigh* The dust is just unavoidable in the desert.

Anyway, I've seen those California Duster thingies, do they really work as advertised? Is there any chance of scratching the paint? How many of you use one?

P.S., I used to be a clay bar skeptic--but after using it I must say, it's amazing! Combined with Zymol, the finish looks fantastic! I'll have to try Zaino some time to compare, but it's better than anything else (Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, Prestone Bullet Wax) I've used! I'll post some pics once I take the car out.

I just started using the California Duster. Before, I did touch up with the Meguiars and Mothers spray detailer between washes, and was concerned about abrasion; Now, I am more comfortable using the duster prior to applying the spray detailer.

I found the duster worked a lot better on my old Civic Si than on the NSX. Don't know why, but I hardly use it at all now.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
--Use it often... the dirtier it is, the better it gets.

This never made sense to me. You'd think that because the accumulated dirt is lodged in the fibers, it would scratch the paint. Yet, I've used mine for years and it works very well.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I just bought one last week. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not it works. My car collects plenty of dust. =/

I've used a Cal duster for about 8 months and have had no problems with it. And, as the instructions say, it works better as it gets older/dirtier.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX??

I've used one for years too. Works very well. However, mine is black from mostly tire dust. Do you think I should wash it, or does washing ruin the properties that make it work so well?

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

The duster works great for the slight dust you're talking about and for the apres-drive carbon build-up on the rear bumper. Keep it off the glass though, whatever it's impregnated with leaves streaks.

I have been using one for years on my custom painted Hot Rod and now on my NSX.You can use a Micro-fiber detailing cloth also, Meguiars has one, works great on cleaning windows to.

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

I don't know about the "the dirtier it is, the better it gets." I found that my Cal duster didn't work nearly as well after picking up a ton of the black stuff that gathers on the rear bumper.

So, I bought a second one.

I now use my original duster exclusively to remove the black dust from my NSX's rear. The new one dusts everywhere else.

I would not use these dusters to clean a dirty car, but to keep the car as dust-free as possible in between washings. This is especially useful in areas with a lot of moisture in the air (where I live the morning marine layer helps adhere dust to the car...and then the afternoon sun bakes it in). I never use the dusters when the car is wet, if has had been dusty and gotten wet, or if something dirty *splashed* on the car. You wouldn't want to smear around bird droppings with them!

And don't wash the dusters...the fibers contain a waxy substance that helps them pick up dust.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Unfortunatly when they are new there is a lot of parafin on the duster.With a black car the first few uses leave a lot of streaks and degrade the look of a freshly waxed car.That said I use the duster and find them very handy for pollen and dust.Brake dust on the rear bumper I reserve for the spray on quick detailer and wipes.

I bought a California Duster a long time ago and I do not use it on the exterior for the following reasons.

1. Since I started using the Zaino Z6 spray, I find the dust no longer accumulates on my cars as it once did. The level of dust accumulation is so slight that I can make it long enough to get to when I'd just as soon wash the car anyway.

2. In my opinion, it's not good to dry wipe dust off the car. Dust, particularly brake dust, is very abrasive. Over time it will leave fine scratches in the clear coat. I have verified this with more than one experienced and reputable detailers that also do not recommend the Duster for the same reasons.

I know the California Duster is supposed to work like "magic" but even if the dust magically sticks to the waxy cotton strands, it seems that the dust would also remain in the strands where it would scratch the paint.

I do think the CA duster works OK on the interior and I use the smaller duster to remove the dust that collects on the dash and interior surfaces.

Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid and over-protective about the finish, but I just think it's better to leave the dust on the car if any gets on and then wash it off with plenty of water and a good soapy wash.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I have used it for years on my NSX and previous rides. Works great. I like the one from Brookstone; about $20.
Let a new one air out for about 48 hours. Do not press hard and shake out before any use and between cleaned sections.
Store it in it's bag or case.
Bob
'94 all green / tan

Back