How many miles are too many when buying a NSX

I need some insight:

Looking here on Pime there are several cars with high miles (100k+) but have be modded or engine updated and maitenanced. Is there a point for these cars since they are specialty or collector status cars where that still does make a difference (miles) or is the style of the car by it self still going to hold it's value reguardless of it having 200,000 miles. Does a rebuilt engine restart the clock on the values of these cars?

Last edited:
No one knows whether the NSX will become a collector car. I would think that unless you buy one with extremely low miles <20K and keep it in a climate controlled garage then there will be little chance to sell it as a collector.

As far as mileage is concerned. A well maintained NSX can potentially last well over 300K miles on the original engine. There are a few that are well into the 200K+ mile range already. As far as resale value for a car with high mileage will depend on market conditions and the availability of cars. If there aren't many lower mileage examples to choose from then the higher mileage cars may command a higher price. No one has a crystal ball.

The most important thing to consider when purchasing a NSX is to get a car that has well documented maintenence history with a clean title and no evidence of paint work or accident history.

Good Luck

I bought my '98 with close just under 100K and with limited documentation. My researching the car told me that the tb/wp was changed at the reccomended time by a dealer, so I figured (crossing fingers and praying) that the worst that could happen was behind me. We've owned several Jap cars and had great success with Honda, as opposed to the 740il that cost me an arm and a leg to keep going. I also had a 90 300zx that I put nearly 350K on the engine and trans, which also made me feel good about buying a higher milage car. Heck, I figured over time, a lot of it is going to get replaced at one time or another, so I was also looking for a good frame/body as a good foundation, if you will, to keep my car alive on as I will probably keep it for a good long time. Approaching 130K and still going strong!
-Robert

No one knows whether the NSX will become a collector car. I would think that unless you buy one with extremely low miles <20K and keep it in a climate controlled garage then there will be little chance to sell it as a collector.

As far as mileage is concerned. A well maintained NSX can potentially last well over 300K miles on the original engine. There are a few that are well into the 200K+ mile range already. As far as resale value for a car with high mileage will depend on market conditions and the availability of cars. If there aren't many lower mileage examples to choose from then the higher mileage cars may command a higher price. No one has a crystal ball.

The most important thing to consider when purchasing a NSX is to get a car that has well documented maintenence history with a clean title and no evidence of paint work or accident history.

Good Luck

2 reasons why the NSX will be a collectors' car:

1. first mass-produced all aluminum chassis car in the world
2. it sets the standard for reliability and rear-mid engine performance car can exist in one world

a very low mileage unmolested nsx is already a collectors car, what Batman said is very true. As we see less and less of these cars over the years due to accidents or what have you, For sure a low mileage nsx unmolested, unmodified, oem specs,would demand a hefty price, these cars have a huge impact on the history of autombile production,and for being that unique deserves to be a collectible.

.....what Batman said is very true. As we see less and less of these cars over the years due to accidents or what have you, For sure a low mileage nsx unmolested, unmodified, oem specs,would demand a hefty price, these cars have a huge impact on the history of autombile production,and for being that unique deserves to be a collectible.

There is a market (as with any cars) for unmolested NSXs, but if u put the right mods like a Comptech or NA2 headers (for NA1 cars), billet coolant tank, etc. then it shouldn't hurt resell value.

Any mods that is purely subjective may be an issue, depending on the audience at the time...........

Also, the CompTech stuff was fully legit. I remember when the CompTech bits were being sold *at* Acura dealers.

That's a big difference. A CompTech parts car could be seen as a collector curiosity at some point because they were a genuine OEM partner.

42 Views and no opinions?

Reset the value? No, a higher mileage car will be of less value, just like 99% of the cars out there.

There are enough of them around that we can say high miles is generally not a problem.

Most of the problems are from LOW miles on these cars :biggrin:

2. it sets the standard for reliability and rear-mid engine performance car can exist in one world

What you are saying are true, but if you go to lamborghinitalk.com they will brush it off and not only that they will make fun of you. This is only subjective and depends which forum you're on and will get biased opinions and answers.

Tough crowd.:eek:
Anywhere between 6-7 years to 19 years.:biggrin:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124448
Would you like to be the new record holder?:wink: Do you feel lucky?
I don't think most owner go by mileage, because most onwers don't use it as a DD; therefore, time is what most owners go by.

my NSX has more miles on it than any car I've ever owned ( aside from an International Harvester truck back in the day). I have no doubts that many passed over the car due to it's mileage, did not scare me off. There are some bargains out there if you are willing to give the high mileage cars a look.

You cant really pick a number.It all depends by year.People act like 100k miles on a 1991 is insane.Its a 18 year old car! That comes down to like 5.5k miles a year it was driven.The average for most cars is usually 15k a year.

Aslong as maintenance is done on the engine you will be good to go.Not all maintenance is done because of mileage,you also have to take into consideration age.

As others have stated, the mileage ceiling on a well maintained NSX is very high. Maintenance is what you should be looking at. I'd rather have a 100K well maintained NSX than a 50K mile neglected NSX any day. Consider maint items like timing belts, coolant hoses, valve adjustment, clutch, water pump, AC, etc. that will cost you on a higher mile car that hasn't been kept up-to-date.

I think it all depends from us, there are more than 11 000 members registered here on prime. Most of NSX's are being sold on prime marketplace and WE are the onces setting up asking prices. We are the people we should blame on modifying and beating on them.

Last edited:

you forgot the most important...

3. very low production #'s
4. Timeless looks ...flawless design:cool:

How many miles are too many? .. Everyone's answer may vary on that one but for me the answer is 10K.

I want a like new 05 NSX.

For others, the answer may be 50K 75K etc.

How many miles are too many? .. Everyone's answer may vary on that one but for me the answer is 10K.

I want a like new 05 NSX.

For others, the answer may be 50K 75K etc.

Agree, everyone's answer is different. For me, that number is 60K because I want to drive the car.....alot. For somebody else it might be 75K or might be as low as 25K. Gotta figure out what is right for YOU.

you forgot the most important...

3. very low production #'s
4. Timeless looks ...flawless design:cool:

alot of cars have low production numbers in the exotic arena.

Timeless looks is subjective.

Parts of the NSX is not timeless. Alot of it smells of 1980-90's design.

The FD is more timeless IMO.

alot of cars have low production numbers in the exotic arena.

Timeless looks is subjective.

Parts of the NSX is not timeless. Alot of it smells of 1980-90's design.

The FD is more timeless IMO.

what did you just try to say ???:confused::redface:

are you Larry the cable guy???

"gidder dun" :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back