how long do rotors normally last?

I was wondering how long rotors normally last for passenger sedans, like the Accord or Civic, in normal driving, not ricing or racing.

Also, what is pressing? I talked to my mechanic and he said he has to press new rotors or something.

Thanks.

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:
I was wondering how long rotors normally last for passenger sedans, like the Accord or Civic, in normal driving, not ricing or racing.

Also, what is pressing? I talked to my mechanic and he said he has to press new rotors or something.

Thanks.
This would depend on a certain number of factors
1)Depends on the driver
2)Depends on the type of pads your using
3)Depends on the Type of traffic you drive
in daily

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:

Thanks.

Ive never heard the term PRESSING b4 but i can tell you that new brakes n rotors usally have to be broken in so they usally take your car out and do some hard stops at different speeds to break them in b4 they give the car back.

I dont know what ricing is but if you race your car im sure that would wear your pads faster.

Re: NSX-dreamer
posted 15 February 2003 05:19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, what is pressing? I talked to my mechanic and he said he has to press new rotors or something

Had 2 Accords 88, 94 and get about 12-15K on rotors(new, I dont bother to turn them); however, I'm going back to OEM their >$ but since they are pressed rotors (need a slide hammer and impact to get them on/off) basically a pain. Hoping OEM will get at least 20K.
Note:I think 98+ Accords did away with pressed rotors.
My Integra TR had 30K on it when sold original rotors/pads, no pulsating, just great braking; and I was very hard on them.

Thanks for the info.

Ricing means changing the brakes / tires beyond OEM specs.

I have gotten about 200k on a set of OEM rotors, but now have to replace due to aftermarket semi-metallic brake pacs etching "grooves" into the rotors and warping them. I have been told I have to replace them the next time they need to be cut.

Originally posted by Acura NsX Pilot:
Im not trying to start a feud but .. i didnt know that big brake kits and wider tires were considered RICE.

I was too lazy to go into specifics, but I meant ppl who change their tires / wheels into ridiculous proportions: ie wheels that stick out a foot or more from the car, or wheels that are really out of proportion to the original OEM specs... I won't try to be more specific since it's 2am.

Back