How easy is it to temper w/ the mileage on the NSX anyone to tell?

on a 2000 nsx, is there a way i can ask the dealer to take a reading from the computer to show what the car's miles are? I've heard it is pretty easy to turn off the "miles" on the nsx, thus many early models w/ very low miles.

Anyway to fight against this? Of course I could look for the usual wear and tear, but it would be hard to tell 10,000 miles from 30,000 miles.

easy to turn off? where is the button locate at?

THonda said:
on a 2000 nsx, is there a way i can ask the dealer to take a reading from the computer to show what the car's miles are? I've heard it is pretty easy to turn off the "miles" on the nsx, thus many early models w/ very low miles.

Anyway to fight against this? Of course I could look for the usual wear and tear, but it would be hard to tell 10,000 miles from 30,000 miles.

T Bell said:
Very easy to lower miles, (I won't reveal how here) Carfax is your safest bet. It will show a rewind. Also get owner info and do your research.

PS there is no "button" There are ways to stop it from reading, and an entirely different way to rewind.

worse part about an analog odometer..... is there some screws i should take a look at to see if it has been removed before?

your words of "very easy" scares me a bit....

Thanks

Yes, it is easy to turn back the odo on the NSX.

It is the paper trail that is much harder to modify. A CarFax will help a lot. But you are going to have to play investigator.

Most states have smog checks every year or two. Do the number of miles steadly go up and then suddenly go down (or reverse)?

Ask to see any supporting documentation of service and bill of sale from the previous owner. An Acura dealership can give you service history of the car (which will state the date+miles) , especially if you have a pre-purchase inspection (highly recomended).

Seat bolster wear,steering wheel and pedal pad wear is also a good indicator. Rock chips on the front facsia and windshield (we're talking small pin pricks and very tiny craters).

But all that might be difficult to tell between 10,000 and 30,000 miles. I can't imagine that a 10K mile car will sell for signifcantly more than a 30K car, so I don't really see anybody bothering. (IMHO it is not worth a felony arrest over $2K-$3K max, but there are other people that think otherwise.)

FWIW: I paid for 5 pre-purchase inspections before I wrote out a big check. It is NOT a waste of money, I escaped at least one perfectly *excellent* looking one that needed about $6,500 in immediate work....but the car looked perfect-inside and out.

Drew

THonda said:
worse part about an analog odometer..... is there some screws i should take a look at to see if it has been removed before?

your words of "very easy" scares me a bit....

Thanks

You won't be able to tell.

Just like the other guy said, look for normal wear in, under, on, and around the car. If it really looks brand new, then chances are it is. But if there are tons of scuff marks on the sill from shoes, and wear on the steering wheel, shift knob, and seat, but the milage says 5k, RED FLAG!!!!

drew said:
...FWIW: I paid for 5 pre-purchase inspections before I wrote out a big check. It is NOT a waste of money, I escaped at least one perfectly *excellent* looking one that needed about $6,500 in immediate work....but the car looked perfect-inside and out.

Drew

WOW!! What the heck needed done for $6,500???? :eek:

$6,500? Added up fast...

Well your typical trashed A/C system that mostly worked (I would not have caught it as I was new to these cars). It worked but it leaked at a couple of points and a couple of long hard lines had to be replaced and I think the evap was leaking freon.

(BTW: I think cars that aren't used that much might suffer from dried out A/C systems....so beware of cars that are rarely used).

The timing belt, water pump, coolant and a lot of other stuff needed to be done. Also typical.

This guy drove it and took perfect care of the cosmetics...when it needed serious mechanical work: he put it up for sale.

After that I became very skeptical of pre 60,000 mile cars. Not only did you get to pay more for "low mileage" you also got to pay for all the "new maintainenece".

I opted for a post-60K car that had been maintained, which is a much better value for the money. I'm happy I took that route...

Drew

Back