How does a sixteen year old car do it ?

Still after all this time, what possesses people today to overlook many vehicles and in 2007 choose a 1991 year vehicle ??

I keep getting bashed even from my own mechanic, for contemplating '91's - '94. Structural this, aluminum degradation that..

I'm really interested to know from those new owners who I've read about why they chose such an old car ?

I told him and many others my reasoning will be, find me a better exotic, a better looking car, that can guise itself as a daily driver, yet unleash hell at any track, and you'll get me to buy it.

For a while, I even contemplated the elise (and I don't want this thread to turn into yet another elise vs nsx thread) but i've overlooked the elise as I value daily driveability, practicality , trunk space and creature comforts.

Still after all this time, what possesses people today to overlook many vehicles and in 2007 choose a 1991 year vehicle ??

I keep getting bashed even from my own mechanic, for contemplating '91's - '94. Structural this, aluminum degradation that..

I'm really interested to know from those new owners who I've read about why they chose such an old car ?

I told him and many others my reasoning will be, find me a better exotic, a better looking car, that can guise itself as a daily driver, yet unleash hell at any track, and you'll get me to buy it.

For a while, I even contemplated the elise (and I don't want this thread to turn into yet another elise vs nsx thread) but i've overlooked the elise as I value daily driveability, practicality , trunk space and creature comforts.

I choose the nsx because of the style characteristics of the car. Also, I've only seen 2 on the road ever in my life and the other cars I was thinking of purchasing I saw everyday.

To each their own

The lead designer of the nsx told us at nsxpo 06 that the structure is designed to last 30 yrs.

Total NSX Package. When I first saw the car when I was young ( red w/ some kind of lip spoiler @ my local library) Even for a short moment it was love at first sight. I didn't even know what it was. I know it wasn't a countach, or ferrari. It was so gorgeous!

The lead designer of the nsx told us at nsxpo 06 that the structure is designed to last 30 yrs.

Ack!! What happens to the 1991's when the year 2021 rolls around?? Does the car go poof?? :eek: :biggrin:

Ack!! What happens to the 1991's when the year 2021 rolls around?? Does the car go poof?? :eek: :biggrin:

ha Ha not liklely.He did say he hoped his grandchildren and our grandchildren could meet someday driving our hand me down nsx's so I don't think you need worry.I'm sure he meant at least 30yrs:biggrin:

I would reply by asking why people are spending $300,000 for "old" hemi vehicles from the sixties.

Warning, all those who own 91 NSX's, regardless of miles and/or condition, you only have 14 more years before your car just disintegrates........goes POOF! Enjoy it while you can, those of us with later year cars our value will continue to increase with the ever diminishing # of available cars!!!!:biggrin:

Aluminum degradation? I've never heard of it. My 14 year old NSX feels more solid than most cars new cars on the road today, and feels almost as solid as my friends E46 M3. My car have almost 90K miles on it to show you the testiment to how solid they made this car. The type car's chassis life span is suppose to be only 10 years before it starts to rust out. The nsx's chassis is suppose to triple that. The car will never rust unless the aluminum has metal contamination from previous bodywork.

We have guys on this forums hitting 375K miles on the the stock engine. This thing will practically run forever. Most people still think this car is a brand new car made in the 2000's and the car's finish from the factory even after 14 years is better than most cars that comes out of the factory today.

"aluminum degradation"? ...find a new mechanic. one that does not talk out of his, ahh..hat.

I remember in the 1990's, I had a 3-cylinder (1-liter) Geo Metro hatchback and one mechanic said that the engine won't last very long because it is so small and has to work so much harder than a normal size engine.
What he failed to understand was that if something is engineered well, it can last as long or longer that a larger, bulkier design.
Same with the NSX. It is engineered so well, it will last as long as, or longer than conventional designs.

As a mechanical engineer in aero space work .... Fret not about aluminum. Unprotected AL can slightly oxidize on the surface, and thats probably about it...

The NSX will be one of the worlds great cars .... Forever. Anyone who asks about buying 'old' cars... See if they'd like to buy a 300SL Gullwing?

As for the 1991's, in 2010 - 2011 they will be able to be registered as a collectible cars, and get a discount on insurance !!!

Simon - I told you that Phil is incorrect about the aluminum thing. There are plenty of excuses to look elsewhere, that is just not one of them.

91 or 05, try finding another car that has everything that the NSX does. Even in an 07 model.

It must be:
similarily priced (used or new)
have killer looks
have incredible performance
be as reliable as an Accord
be rare
be comfortable
have great build quality

There is nothing.

Simon - I told you that Phil is incorrect about the aluminum thing. There are plenty of excuses to look elsewhere, that is just not one of them.

91 or 05, try finding another car that has everything that the NSX does. Even in an 07 model.

It must be:
similarily priced (used or new)
have killer looks
have incredible performance
be as reliable as an Accord
be rare
be comfortable
have great build quality

There is nothing.

Yeah, that somes it up nice, I agree. Don't get me wrong there are cars ( not many though ) being made today that are better than the nsx. though they are not in the same price range.

A car that is being made today that is in the price range as a nsx, is the zo6. bang for the buck there is no car better today than a zo6. With that said there still things that make the nsx nicer then a zo6 build quality, rare , and looks, IMO

Yeah, that somes it up nice, I agree. Don't get me wrong there are cars ( not many though ) being made today that are better than the nsx. though they are not in the same price range.

A car that is being made today that is in the price range as a nsx, is the zo6. bang for the buck there is no car better today than a zo6. With that said there still things that make the nsx nicer then a zo6 build quality, rare , and looks, IMO

No please stop and redirect to :tongue: :wink: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90017&highlight=zo6+corvette

Back