How do you start a national club?

Cross posted at NSXSC

I own an Integra GSR. I know of another site which is Integra Specific
( www.Team-Integra.net ) Lately there are a lot of rumblings about putting together a national meet for the forum users (There are a bunch of us) This led to conversation about starting a national club (Like the NSXCA), and having an annual event (ala: NSXPO)
My questions, for NSXCA board members are as follows...
1. Who do you contact at Honda to get Manufacturer recognition?

2. Are there any costs involved?

3. How did the NSXCA come together?

4. Do you have any tips for us to follow?

Feel free to contact me privately

[email protected]

Phil

------------------
integra.gif

One of the first decisions to make is what kind of group you want to have. More specifically, do you want to be able to hold events as a group? There are things that require you to become a legal entity (usually, a non-profit 501(c)7 corporation) so that you can sign contracts with venues (so individual club officers aren't financially liable for club activities), open bank accounts for club transactions (so individuals don't receive money that might be taxed as income), sign licensing agreements with American Honda, etc. To incorporate as a legal entity will cost hundreds of dollars in filing fees, plus you will be obligated to file tax returns annually. You will be incurring expenses and you will need to fund them somehow - either by requiring the payment of dues, or depending on sponsors/donors.

The NSXCA came together in 1998 when David Hwang decided that it was a good idea to form a non-profit corporation for all of the above reasons. He recruited people with expertise in legal matters, in database design and direct mailing, etc.

The ITRCA has NOT incorporated, has no legal standing, and does not have the ability to transact business or open financial accounts. It is a "virtual organization" based on the efforts of folks communicating through the internet - sort of like talking about NSXprime as a "club", in that people can use it as a means of communication to get together, but it is limited in its capacity to perform tasks on its own.

Feel free to private me if you like with additional questions, Phil.

Back