How do you do a donut? or a burn out?

A while ago, a friend of mine and I were trying to do a donut or a burnout in his BMW 330ci at an empty parking lot, but we couldn't quite get ourselves to do it right. The tires peeled off a little but overall it wasn't as pretty as those videos I've seen on the net. Does anybody have any tips on how to do a donut or a burnout the proper way? Thanks

The proper to do a burnout is turn the wheel to the left (turn to right if RHD). Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas.

1. Soft braking while a little on the gas
2. As soon as the car starts moving to the left, press hard on the brake to lock the front wheels and right foot all the way to the bottom of the gas pedal to kick the rear end off ground to the right direction.

how do you do it with a stick?? I mean manual car
wink.gif

1- hold rpm's at about 6500 with the clutch in

2- drop the clutch with the car in 1st gear and put the foot all the way to the floor

3- smell the smoke and hear the cool sounds

4- post mpeg on net so we can all check it out too

5- go to www.scienceofspeed.com to view the new clutch you are going to need to get from Chris

6- go to www.tirerack.com to price out the new tires since you just smoked yours
wink.gif

All kidding aside just remember how you are treating your car. Beating on it is much diffrent that tracking or street driving and you wallet will be able to see the difference.
smile.gif

Aaron

Kids.

Sheeesh!!!

Don't forget to huff some glue beforehand.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
1. Drive to your nearest location:

dunkin_logo.gif

2. Buy your favorite kind.

3. Eat and enjoy.

biggrin.gif

topa2.jpg

I prefer this better
smile.gif

as for burn out, you try working at my job, you'll get burned out in no time!

Originally posted by SilverOne:
how do you do it with a stick?? I mean manual car
wink.gif

I think you will be better off with an automatic. You will need to change gears if you you are driving stick unless your right foot is big enough to hold the gas and the brake at the same time.

Or tell your friends to trade-in for the SMG 330ci.

Most future BMWs that offer standard will offer the SMG. In the near future it is the 330 and the Z4 that will get it...with the new gen 5 and 6 seires slated to get it as well...fine times in bimmer world
biggrin.gif

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (Should be the new daily driver)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina" Still the daily driver)
1997 NSX "Nina"
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

Actually, he already put down his deposit on a white M3 SMG, and will be selling his 330ci very soon. So we figured we might have some fun while he still owns the car for the last few days.

Don't any of these stunts actually damage the car if you hold down the break and the gas pedal at the same time?

Thanks

Yes, it is bad not only bad for the tires and brakes, but also the transmission and the differential will take the biggest impact. If you hold the burn-out for a long time, the differential oil will boil and burn the differential.

Are there any proper ways of doing these stunts without doing any damage to the mechanical aspects of the car? I'm not too worried about tires. My friend and I have 4 more days til he sells his 330ci, and we want to try to make the last 4 days count.

Thanks

Originally posted by GookusMaximus:
Actually, he already put down his deposit on a white M3 SMG, and will be selling his 330ci very soon. So we figured we might have some fun while he still owns the car for the last few days.

Don't any of these stunts actually damage the car if you hold down the break and the gas pedal at the same time?

Thanks

Oh, I forgot to remind you that SMG (European model) only permit 30 clutch drop launch per clutch life. Donuts will use up more clutch and generate more heat/fiction on the clutch than each drop launch. So you know how much damage can be done to the car.

Be sure to tell your friend to have fun in these last few days before the SMG arrives.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/july/200207_shorttak e_m3.xml?&page=2

also this one from the M3 SMG owners

http://www.bm3w.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000056#000001

[This message has been edited by nsx2000 (edited 05 October 2002).]

Thanks for all the info

From taking a look at some of those links I actually read more negative comments than positive ones regarding the M3 and the much appreciated SMG gearbox. Should my friend reconsider getting the M3? If there are any M3 owners out there, please let me know how the car is compares to other cars or a NSX. Thanks!

if u wanna see a BMW do a beautiful half-donut (but loads of smoke & noise) then rent the James Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies" and watch the car-park chase.

Back