How did your A/C failure turned out?

When the A/C on your car failed it was...

• a black death, everything had to be changed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • repairable by changing the compressor and a few other parts

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • other

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • it never failed on my car including the preowners

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to get some feedback on a A/C failure, mainly due to a stuck compressor.

EDIT: Please tell us what year your car is.

Sorry. Never had a problem. It's works just fine. I would like to see just how many people have had problems.

'91: new evaporator/dryer and rebuilt climate control module 4 years ago. Have appointment to determine why it is not currently blowing cold air.

I changed out the compressor -- or more precisely Rob or Ron98 at Speed Oracle (why don't you change your user name, Rob?) -- at about 135,000 miles. It was getting noisy even through the fluid level was fine. The car was supposedly Deon Sander's car (spelled Atlanta, GA) and the second owner was also from GA. That means the AC ran A LOT in the car's earlier life.

Spending $400 perhaps a little early, rather than $2000 a little latter seemed like a no-brainer to me.

How does it go . . . An ounce of prevention is worth a pound . . . . .

I had the compressor failed 4 years ago, due to its age and i didn't know i need to baby that compressor. It fails when i took it to 8000rpm with AC on. Big mistake, when they do inspection and found that the evaporator was leaking.

After 4 years, my evaporator is leaking again, i just took it out today and it is leaking at the same place. Here is the picture, see where i point it and the oil on the left side.

DSC010471.JPG

I discuss this issue with my mechanic and he said almost 10 out of 9 evaporators were failed at that location. It is probably due to its manufacturer process.

Keno

I started a thread earlier asking about replacing evap,conden, etc. after a compress. seizure. I'm in the process of having only the compres. and dryer replaced, and system vacumed.After inspecting the freon and inside of hoses I don't think the system was too badly contaminated. I am using a new OEM compressor rather than a rebuilt. I would be intrested in knowing what results people have had with rebuilt compressors as I have not had good results with rebuilt parts in the past. This was the origional compressor that failed after 120,000mi. It failed with really no warning sounds or anything, just seized. I'll let you know how things progress.

Replaced By Acura including evaportator+recharge other stuff. Blows too cold gota shut off in summer.

Back