How can we explain this? ( ebay bid )

This is kind of strange ( or I am pretty ignorant for that matter ),

I want to bid for a laptop ( Eurocom 8500p ) on eBay site and:

Auction finishes in about 13 hours

1- When sorting all laptops by soonest bid ending, it doesn't appear???

2- When I place a bid I can never get it because it is instantly outbidded.

Always by the same bidder.

Is he using a software detecting every bid?

It looks kind of unfair...

Don't slauhgter me, I'm a new eBay user...

Thanks all!

Last edited:
He's probably set a limit up to a certain point that he's willing to bid. I think you can do the same just with a regular ebay bid. When I bought a pair of shoes off of ebay I got to do the same thing, it pissed me off cause I wanted to make sure I got it and immediately after I confirmed my bid it jumped like $30 bucks higher than what I started in at cause someone else did the same thing and I ended up beating them.

Also, I've had some fun with some guys when I figure out their doing this, I just bid 'em up for the heck of it so long as I don't go any higher than I'm willing to buy it at in case I do out bid them. :D

The guy you are bidding against has a higher bid than you - it is a proxy bid service.

Take this as an example:

To open, Widget A is offered at $10

Action: I place a bid of $200.
Result: It shows me the high bidder at $10
Reason: That is all it takes to win the auction.

Action: You place a bid at $100.
Result: It shows you that you are outbidded immediately, and me as the high bidder at $101 (or something close)
Reason: I have already bid 'up to' $200

If you want the laptop, you have to place a bid higher than the guy who is 'proxy bidding'.

I will never understand people bidding on an Ebay auction with anything more than 10-15 seconds left to run. By biddinng during the early stages of an auction all you are doing is driving the price higher - everyone else who wants the item comes back and feels compelled to see themselves as the high bidder so they try to outbid you.
Ebay is great but there are few bargains!

If you really want to win auctions get some automated software to bid for you at the last possible second or set your PDA to remind you of the ending time so that you can manually bid with only a few seconds left.

Back