Horsepower estimate for the new NSX

BB

Experienced Member
How much hp do you think the new NSX will have and what's your rationale for your estimate?

Powertrain wise the closest car is the Acura RLX hybrid. The RLX's 3.5L V6 + 3 electric motors provides a total of 377 hp. However this car is not turbo charged like the NSX. Additionally the NSX is said to have a slightly larger 3.7L motor.

The RLX 3.5L non hybrid V6 has 310 hp. So the 3.7L might provide an additional 30 hp.

Assume about 100 hp gain from the twin turbo.

Thus 377 + 30 + 100 = 507 hp

However the above assumes that the 3 electric engines in the NSX are the same as those found in the RLX. Does anyone think Honda may have chosen more powerful ones? I tend to think "yes" and that because of this total hp will be around 550 to 570 hp.

Last edited:
How much hp do you think the new NSX will have and what's your rationale for your estimate?

Powertrain wise the closest car is the Acura RLX hybrid. The RLX's 3.5L V6 + 3 electric motors provides a total of 377 hp. However this car is not turbo charged like the NSX. Additionally the NSX is said to have a slightly larger 3.7L motor.

The RLX 3.5L non hybrid V6 has 310 hp. So the 3.7L might provide an additional 30 hp.

Assume about 100 hp gain from the twin turbo.

Thus 377 + 30 + 100 = 507 hp

However the above assumes that the 3 electric engines in the NSX are the same as those found in the RLX. Does anyone think Honda may have chosen more powerful ones? I tend to think "yes" and that because of this total hp will be around 550 to 570 hp.

Honda better come up with something like 550 HP or more.

Anyone who has spent a reasonable amount on a relatively simple supercharger with some additional work can already get 'our' NSX to around 400-450 engine HP. It would be a sad shame if Honda, after years and years of development, would come up with something which adds only about 50 HP to that.

Plus the fact that they have stated publicly that the new NSX would give a similar experience to the Ferrari 458 (which is fast becoming an old model), their new car better have at least 550 HP and preferable something more.

570hp, 450 tq

The GTR offers 157 hp/l
If we assume a 3.5l engine and 157 hp/l we'd have a base gas engine of 550 hp plus the electric top up.
A 3.7l would offer more torque but perhaps less rpm if it's stroked rather than bored to 3.7.
Power might be the same.

If we use the Civic type -r number of 278 hp from 2 liters we'd have about 489 hp from a 3.5.

I'd say we're safe guessing at a 500 hp base gas engine and it could be more.

I think the more important number is the power to weight ratio
The 458 is 5.8 hp/l and the 911 turbo is 6.3 hp/l without electric top-up.
If the NSX is positioned at, say, 6 hp/l and 500 hp it would have to weigh in at 3000 lbs. which sounds light for a hybrid drive.

If we use 3200 lbs. and 500 hp we'd be at Porsche turbo numbers on gas and assuming 100 hp electric top-up we'd be at 5.3 lbs./hp
At 3200 lbs. and 550 hp we'd be at 5.6 hp/l right on the 458 numbers and with electric boost 4.9 lbs./hp

I believe Honda is more conservative in their engine designs than Nissan and is thus less likely to push the limits of what's possible. Also consider that Honda has never done a V6 with a high hp/L ratio-- only their 4 cylinder designs have ever had that honor. Since Honda tends to stick with what they they know, I'm hesitant to assume they will attempt to match the GTR's hp/L ratio.

I'd love to see Honda meet or exceed the GTR's hp/L and provide us a 600+ total hp monster. But I suspect if they attempted to do so while keeping development costs low the new NSX would end up with Nissan level reliability which has not been very good as of late.

I guess we will see this week...

I believe Honda is more conservative in their engine designs than Nissan and is thus less likely to push the limits of what's possible. Also consider that Honda has never done a V6 with a high hp/L ratio-- only their 4 cylinder designs have ever had that honor. Since Honda tends to stick with what they they know, I'm hesitant to assume they will attempt to match the GTR's hp/L ratio.

I'd love to see Honda meet or exceed the GTR's hp/L and provide us a 600+ total hp monster. But I suspect if they attempted to do so while keeping development costs low the new NSX would end up with Nissan level reliability which has not been very good as of late.

Which Nissan reliability of late are you referring to?

I have knowledge of 100s of gtr s and on Thursday am picking up my fifth. I've only known of one stock engine failing and that was due to abuse by the owner rather than unavoidable mechanical failure.

hey if any primers are going to Detroit tomorrow we want pics and vids asap...

This. Speculation is pointless now.

It's interesting to learn what people were expecting as that will have an impact on how well the car is initially received. If many are expecting 550 hp or more (which seems to be the case) and the reality is only 480 hp (Motor Trend's estimate) then...... not good for Acura.

- - - Updated - - -

hey if any primers are going to Detroit tomorrow we want pics and vids asap...

I would really like to see good pictures of an average height guy (i.e. 5'10") sitting in the drivers seat with his seat in a proper upright position. Is the dash as low as the original or does it now feel like you're sitting in a hole (like so many other cars today). From seeing the tall model at the Brazil auto show sitting in the concept I would guess that the new NSX will not be as good as the original in this regard, yet it will be lower and thus more exotic feeling than the R8's dash.

Which Nissan reliability of late are you referring to?

I have knowledge of 100s of gtr s and on Thursday am picking up my fifth. I've only known of one stock engine failing and that was due to abuse by the owner rather than unavoidable mechanical failure.

I guess you have never read some of the post on nagtroc forum

Spend sometime on this site.

Bram

Bram

No... I guess YOU have not spent any time on that site. Or any meaningful time.

I just read an article about the NAIAS on mass media, and they mentioned the exotic-like performance with "Prius gas mileage". I believe the two are mutually exclusive, as cars like the 918 can run electric-only for 15 or so miles, but I don't see 40 mpg crusing at a steady 80 mph.

If that's a hint, I'll say that Honda will, once again, disappoint in the power department. 420 or 440 horses (ICE) is nice for a sports sedan, not for a six figure sports car which is, at the minimum, 12 years late to succeeding the original.

I predict the weight at around 3600, give or take 50 lbs., which won't help the power deficit. But knowing Honda they'll no doubt tout the "130 hp from batteries/40 MPGs/unlike any other $150K or $300K sportscar" etc. crap. Any purist would then respond "what good is electric power at 6, 7, or 8 thousand rpm?"

Actual performance is worth more than simple specs. If the HP was claimed be say 580 hp, but it performed like a 420 hp Camaro, then how would you feel? Please keep that in mind.

Bram

I have but not consistently. Am a regular on the UK equivalent.

Are you talking about engine our gearbox failures?

As for the Gtr brigade, I have a deposit on the NSX and intend to run both.

550+

They did not bother to give a specific # but they did say 550+ hp.

cody seems to think it will be ~700hp:

Cody Loveland
I have significant experience with the Gen1 NSX and turbocharging, having turbocharged hundreds of them over the paast decade. The longitudinal layout makes the whole thing easier to package, along with better CG. One of the challenges with the Gen1 NSX was trying to package the turbos. By rotating the whole powertrain package, this now becomes relatively easy. I'm going on record and stating the final production numbers will crest 700hp. These Honda V6's make power way too easily, efficiently, and reliably to not produce at least 600hp on gas alone.

Back