Hooray for Andy Rooney

title edited ... Interesting opinion of unknown author

Andy Rooney said on 60 minutes a few weeks back: (for those of
you that don't know Andy Rooney, he is a 82 year old US TV commentator)

Edit: it has been said that Andy Rooney is not the author of this quote, but I like it just the same.

I like big cars, big boats, big motorcycles, big houses and big campfires. I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some governmental stooge with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts for squirting out babies.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU
LISTENING MARTHA BURKE? I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion. I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only
things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens. Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door. I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off. When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of Probability.

I know what sex is, and there are not varying degrees of it. If I received sex from one of my subordinates in my office, it wouldn't be a private matter or my personal business. I would be "FIRED" immediately!

I believe that if you are selling me a milk shake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English! My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.
I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry self if
you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines. I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation recount votes when needed. I know what the definition of lying is. I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk
our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor. I know pro wrestling
is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you
from watching them. I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made
and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the
next operating system that's better, and put your name on the
building. Ask your buddy that invented the Internet to help you.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does
take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say "NO!" "I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me french fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people,
and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they
be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go
around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough. DON'T PASS IT ON!

Last edited:
Excellent! I like whoever wrote that, even if it wasn't Andy Rooney! Lots of great points made.

Since Andy Rooney was a TV writer and newspaper man until the 60 Minutes gig, I find it hard to believe he would deliver this as his "own" work without crediting the source IMO.

coolnsx said:
Since Andy Rooney was a TV writer and newspaper man until the 60 Minutes gig, I find it hard to believe he would deliver this as his "own" work without crediting the source IMO.

Ask the copy editors at the New York Times about crediting a source. Your think CBS is anymore reliable??

Man, I thought this thread was about Rooney somehow making complements about the NSX. Now for an 82 year old, that would be pret-ty cool. Then I realized I was in the Off-Topic forum....

Re: Not Andy.

flaminio said:
Without commenting on the content of the post, I would like to point out that it was not in fact written by Andy Rooney.

Cite: http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/rooney.asp

Exactly. I find it amazing how gullible people are, how they are ready to believe anything that conforms to their own opinions (no matter how implausible it sounds) - and how instinctively they question anything that doesn't conform to their beliefs (even when it sounds quite likely to be true).

That's why we have all these urban legends circulating on the Internet - false stories about Oliver North and Hillary Clinton, false quotes attributed to Dennis Miller and Robin Williams - and, amazingly, people still believe them! :eek: Just as quickly as they believe false stories about JATO engines, hypodermic needles stuck in pay phones, and Microsoft donating money based on you forwarding an e-mail to your friends. Amazing.

Fortunately, we have the urban legends reference sites where anyone with half a brain can verify whether those improbable rumors are true, such as these:

http://www.snopes.com/
http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/
http://www.urbanlegends.com/

Check those websites out - a lot of those urban legends are quite entertaining, even though the stories are often not true. And occasionally, some of the stories even have a germ of truth to them (and are noted there as such).

OK Ken, I have edited the title and added a note to the post as to the accuracy of its originating whereabouts. I should have known that you would point out the obvious and meaningless. I didnt care who wrote the piece b/c I've never been an Andy Rooney fan, I simply liked some of the thoughts relayed. You know you dont always have to be a know-it-all. Who wrote it was irrelevant to me. I'm not gullible and I am aware of the urban ledgends websites, I just didnt see the importance of checking something as trival as a quote I post in the Off Topic section of NSX Prime important. I have better things to do with my time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This post is offensive.

Hi.. with all due respect, I think that this post is offensive to many members on this board and should be removed.
This board should be about being inclusive, not exclusive, especially when it comes to race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Re: This post is offensive.

JSMDMD said:
Hi.. with all due respect, I think that this post is offensive to many members on this board and should be removed.
This board should be about being inclusive, not exclusive, especially when it comes to race, gender, and sexual orientation.

With equal respect - I don't understand what you find offensive - other than the single reference to Boy/Girl scouts I see no other race, gender or sexual orientation bias - there is certainly a stronger message favoring personal freedoms, equality & tolerance over- all and aside from the boy/girl scout debate (which is more common sense than sexual bias) actually decries any form of prejudice, the way I read it.
So, unless you are a girl who wants to be in the boy scouts (which I doubt applies to any member of this forum) I fail to see the point of your disdain.
I don't care who wrote it either, I find a lot of merit in the statements.

I was and am still wondering why black people have many minority privileges while Asians, probably fewer than blacks have no minority or even negative privileges... I hope the Supreme Court would provide me with some insight when they finally make a ruling on the Michigan University case...

Carlin gig

I have seen this quoted from George Carlin, and if you know anything about his humor, this fits right in. He may not be politically correct, but does make you stop and think.

Re: Carlin gig

ncdogdoc said:
I have seen this quoted from George Carlin, and if you know anything about his humor, this fits right in. He may not be politically correct, but does make you stop and think.

Again - without any comments to the actual content of the post (except for the race remarks which I find distasteful) do some simple research. flaminio even posted the link http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/rooney.asp so you could see it was not George Carlin either (http://www.snopes.com/language/document/carlin.htm).

This is not George Carlin, Andy Rooney, or anyone else who can be verified. That means it is probably some idle 8th graders (who are now 34 because of how old these things tend to be) pulling your strings.

For everyone who posts about politics, abortion, religion, sex, civil rights, guns, foreign affairs, war, drugs, ... Please resist the urge to assume that everyone who owns the same car as you has the exact same views. If you have ever been to an NSXpo it is really the equivalent of a jury pool because the only thing we all have in common is the love of this one particular car.

Peace out.

Zuerst said:
I was and am still wondering why black people have many minority privileges while Asians, probably fewer than blacks have no minority or even negative privileges... I hope the Supreme Court would provide me with some insight when they finally make a ruling on the Michigan University case...
It's about 13% vs. 4% +/- a couple of percentage points. But if you check elite college admission records, you'll find that that some minorities get the privilege of reverse discrimination. Not that we're going to solve that here...

Last edited:
matteni said:
For everyone who posts about politics, abortion, religion, sex, civil rights, guns, foreign affairs, war, drugs, ... Please resist the urge to assume that everyone who owns the same car as you has the exact same views. If you have ever been to an NSXpo it is really the equivalent of a jury pool because the only thing we all have in common is the love of this one particular car.

Nicely said, Nick. And that was exactly my point. I don’t care if someone posts a statement and claims it was said by Andy Rooney when it was not. My point was about the dynamic involved.

These stories go around because someone (a) has views that many would consider extremist and intolerant; (b) is convinced that his views are the only “correct” ones and everyone who holds opposite opinions is “wrong”; (c) sees a quote with those extremist, intolerant views attributed to a celebrity; (d) assumes that the celebrity actually said it because he saw it quoted on the internet or heard it on talk radio; and (e) sees a need to post that quote as some sort of “validation” of those extremist, intolerant views, as though if the celebrity said them, then everyone ought to feel that way.

Obviously, everyone has opinions, on politics and race and all kinds of off-topic topics. But here is what some fail to realize: for every such opinion that you hold strongly, there are many, many people who just as strongly believe the exact opposite. And they think that they are just as right as you think you are. Stating such a view (with or without attribution to a celebrity) is not likely to change anyone else’s opinions. As Nick notes, having people of different backgrounds and opinions makes the world a livelier place.

Furthermore, it should not be surprising that those who agree with offensive, intolerant statements should have trouble understanding why others find them offensive; this is simply another manifestation of their own lack of tolerance and understanding that others may have different views from their own.

There is a big difference between stating a opinion on an issue, and intolerance. There is another member of NSXprime who has repeatedly stated fairly strong political views here – and yet, when another member posted (copied from the website of a hate group) the most malicious diatribe I have ever seen here (since removed by the administrators), this member was the very first to condemn it. By doing so, he earned my respect.

The distinction I am trying to draw is between having strong opinions, and expressing arrogance and hatred towards others simply for expressing a contrary opinion. All of us have strong opinions, myself included. But most of us do not see a need to denigrate others with “hate speech” – and I do find the message posted above to be hateful in intent.

Regardless of our opinions on issues, we ought to be able to express them without attacking or insulting those who hold the opposite opinions – and even in a way that respects that their views are strongly held and, to them, legitimate (without necessarily agreeing with them, of course). That is the way we would probably interact if we were all together in person, and that is the way we should be interacting here as well.

matteni said:
Peace out.

EXACTLY.

Re: This post is offensive.

JSMDMD said:

If the thread were to be removed, I would be offended personally. It would exclude the thoughts of myself and many other people on the board.

It's human nature that people could possibly take offense to one part or another of that, even if it's not meant in that way. Many people always think it's about THEM.

SR

This administrator is offensive.

CmputerWiz said:
If the thread were to be removed, I would be offended personally. It would exclude the thoughts of myself and many other people on the board.

Apparently you are saying that, as an administrator of this board, threads should not be removed if they include thoughts that YOU agree with, even though those threads may be found highly offensive by others. The same logic would also imply that you are willing to remove threads that you disagree with, simply because of that reason, even if they are not likely to be considered offensive. In other words, that the main criterion for judging whether threads should be removed is whether you agree or disagree with them. :mad:

You are also apparently saying that hate speech should be permitted here, that you think it's okay for anyone to post words that most people would find hateful and offensive - such as slurs against minorities and other groups, and bigoted diatribes taken from the websites of hate groups - because they may include the thoughts of many other people on the board. In other words, posts can be as offensive and intolerant as anyone can imagine, and should not be removed for that reason. :mad:

CmputerWiz said:
Many people always think it's about THEM.

And many other people don't think it's about THEM at all, but are aware enough of tolerance issues to recognize that hateful words can offend OTHERS even though they may not be directed at THEMSELVES. And that we should object to words that are intended to offend - as the initial statement above surely is. Which is why it was so ludicrous to believe that Andy Rooney or any other mainstream public figure would say such a thing in the first place.

Last edited:
OK, everyone down off their soap box please.

CmputerWiz is an admin for technical (back-end server operation) reasons, not for moderation of this site or determination or enforcement of system policy. He is voicing his PERSONAL opinion only, to which he has as much right as anyone else.

Everybody here is not going to agree on things, but I would hope that this is a mature enough group that issues can be discussed without escalating every position to the extreme or picking fights with everyone who disagrees with their position.

It would be a shame if the members here were so incapable of having a mature discussion about controversial issues that I had to ban all political discussion as some other well-respected car websites have done (i.e. s2ki.com).

Please do not reply to me about this issue in this forum. If you want to discuss it, please post here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=13

Re: This administrator is offensive.

nsxtasy said:
You are also apparently saying that hate speech should be permitted here, that you think it's okay for anyone to post words that most people would find hateful and offensive - such as slurs against minorities and other groups, and bigoted diatribes taken from the websites of hate groups - because they may include the thoughts of many other people on the board. In other words, posts can be as offensive and intolerant as anyone can imagine, and should not be removed for that reason. :mad:

I guess I'm blinded with Southern ignorance, but what part of that quote exactly is "hate speech". I am far from prejudice and I did not post that quote to be offensive. I think that there are alot of things that go on in this country that are backwards and people have exploited a Constitution that is outdated and incomplete for todays society. I think that this quote touches on alot of those basic principles that are easily manipulated for unintended benifets. I think that some people are overly sensitive and turn simple statements and opinions into larger issues just for some sort of self satisfaction. If you are burning a bra just to light something on fire your intended results will get lost somewhere in the smoke.

Last edited:
Re: Re: This administrator is offensive.

SNDSOUL said:
what part of that quote exactly is "hate speech".

All of it. It attacks and insults ethnic groups, occupations, etc. And it is arrogant in blatantly lauding its own intolerance.

SNDSOUL said:
I think that some people are overly sensitive and turn simple statements and opinions into larger issues just for some sort of self satisfaction.

I think that some people are astoundingly insensitive about their own bigotry, to the point of being absolutely clueless. The fact that anyone would have the audacity to claim that such a statement is not likely to be found offensive by reasonable people is sheer testament to their own insensitivity and intolerance.

Re: Carlin gig

ncdogdoc said:
I think you're right about the author. I'm almost certain that I read this from George Carlin's book "Napalm and Silly Putty."
Hilarious book!
-Thomas:D

Re: This administrator is offensive.

nsxtasy said:
Apparently you are saying that, as an administrator of this board, threads should not be removed if they include thoughts that YOU agree with

I said that to portray that I would be offended if any thread were to be removed because someone found it offensive. If I found a thread offensive, that's not grounds for it to be removed. It doesn't matter if I agree with them or not, it's someone elses opinion. They have the ability to express that. If I post something that people find offensive, and it's not a direct insult or flame of someone on the board, I wouldn't be too happy if it got removed. Granted this IS a private forum, there's no freedom of speech.

As Lud said, I'm not here to keep the peace. I'm here to make things work. :)

SR

Re: Re: Carlin gig

whs520 said:
I think you're right about the author. I'm almost certain that I read this from George Carlin's book "Napalm and Silly Putty."
Hilarious book!
-Thomas:D

Thomas,

No, George Carlin did not write that statement, either.

Refer to Nick's (matteni) post above and you will see that he already posted this correction - that George Carlin did not write it. You can refer to the same link that Nick included in his post for additional verification:
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/carlin.htm

Nick, sorry to repeat what you had said, but apparently Thomas missed it.

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
As Lud said, I'm not here to keep the peace. I'm here to make things work.

Which is something that we're grateful for - even if our opinions don't always agree.

Which goes back to Nick's point - that we ought to be able to share our community, and work together to keep it running smoothly - including NSXprime, the NSX Club, and other NSX-related endeavors - while remaining cognizant that, while we have differences of opinion, we can still treat each other with respect and tolerance.

Back