Hood alignment question

I am considering the purchase of a 2001 Silverstone color NSX with 9000 miles. I noticed that the leading edge of the hood sits a little higher than the
trailing edge of the front bumper. On my current NSX these two edges are flush.

Could an NSX leave the factory like this, or should I consider that the hood is mis-aligned?

I also noticed that the paint on the front and rear bumpers does not have the same reflective quality as the paint on the rest of the car. Is this typical for Silverstone color cars?

Thanks!

perhaps it got rear ended and repaired on the downlow?

do the headlights sit flush with the hoodline?
the factory panels should be almost perfectly flush

remember when you get rear ended your front gets jacked up too,
left rear end corner jacks up front right corner etc i believe.

most 91's i've seen still have perfect hood alignment =o, so for being a 2001 something sounds squirley...
even if its legit, it shouldnt be misaligned like that

psbnsx said:
I noticed that the leading edge of the hood sits a little higher than the
trailing edge of the front bumper.
Could an NSX leave the factory like this, or should I consider that the hood is mis-aligned?

How much is a little? Does the front edge of the hood push up against the hood gasket? Does the gasket have a little bulge?
Hard to make a call on the bumper covers without seeing them. Less reflective? Do you mean they are not as shiny and glossy?

psbnsx said:
I am considering the purchase of a 2001 Silverstone color NSX with 9000 miles. I noticed that the leading edge of the hood sits a little higher than the trailing edge of the front bumper.

My friend's car had the same problem. I simply loosened the 3 bolts securing the hood latch and moved the entire latch assemply down very slightly and now the alignment is perfect.

The procedure is outlined on page 20-52 of the online service manual in the FAQ section of Prime.

mine is like that because when the guy that had it before me had the front bumper replaced from it getting scratched up and replaced a fender for a little dent, they took the hood off, but didn't get it back on aligned perfectly with the fenders and the bumper... one of these days i'll fix it, but its not that big of a deal right now to me...

not sayin that there isn't anything wrong, just sayin that it might just be a small thing like in my case... if you have any suspicions, look at the hinge bolts that are holding the hood on, you shouldn't be able to see where they were losened and tightened in a different spot... if you see that, ask why the hood was taken off, and then do some investigating behind the bumpers / fenders to make sure it was somethign minor

Thanks to everyone for replying to my question. I had my Acura dealer re-align the hood, and now it fits perfectly.

I hope they didn't scratch your nuts when they aligned your hood.
Make sure they touch up your nuts.:biggrin:

So you bought the car?

Last edited:
Back