Honda's F1 engineers went to Ferrari in 1990?

Can someone help me find a post? I swear I read it in this section?

I've tried search and not finding it

1990- When Honda dropped out of F1, the team of Engineers went to Ferrari.
Cheif Engineer at Honda, reported later - "I'd get calls from Italy, and my old engineering team was working for Ferrari's F1 team"

Last edited:
I have read that too, sorry I searched but couldn't find the thread. So at least you know you have some confirmation in your thoughts.

Has anyone ever found more about Mr. Gato (Head of Honda V10 and V12 F1 Engine Program between 1988 to 1992) and any info about his work at the Ferrari factory?

Very funny you mention it. Actually, I came across the Uehara interview yesterday and tried some searches on Mr. Gato but so far I did not find anything. It was mentioned in the interview however that Mr. Gato at some point called Mr. Uehara and joked Ferrari might as well put a Honda-badge on their engines.

I believe it was in 1995 when F1 Engine rule stated, “All engine must be no more then 3000 CC with no more than 10 cylinders.

Gato was solicited to Ferrari to create its first 10 cylinders engine. After the initial program was created in Italy, Gato was sent to Sauber factory I believe in 1996 or 97 to maintain the engine program since Sauber was using Ferrari engine.

There was a 3 years absense between Honda and Ferrari.

It is nothing new in F1 for such a practice. Renault for example, had a British engineer as their head designer in the F1 engine program.

Every one needs help; that is why Honda is currently seeking Ross Brown (rumor) to help them in the technical department. Ross Brown was the man who architected Ferrari’s 5 straight championships during the first part of 2000.

F1 fans knows the Honda V10 was the best during that era, but their V12 was lacking drive-ability when compare to the old V10, even though it put out more HP.

There was an Gato interview in JDM F1 magazine from 1996. I need to find it and post the article.

FYI, do you know the famous Ferrari Enzo was shapped by a Japanese guy?

oh, if that's true, what great work ethics they have. :rolleyes:

FYI, do you know the famous Ferrari Enzo was shapped by a Japanese guy?

Ken Okuyama, the father of the NSX (in terms of styling).

So that makes our NSX the (much) older brother of the current Ferrari flagship car (by ~13 years), non? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Okuyama

...which also explains why the C5 Vette and Camaro look strikingly similar to the NSX.. :)

Ken Okuyama, the father of the NSX (in terms of styling).

So that makes our NSX the (much) older brother of the current Ferrari flagship car (by ~13 years), non? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Okuyama

...which also explains why the C5 Vette and Camaro look strikingly similar to the NSX.. :)

So I was wrong to think they "stole" our design. It is disturbing how those 2 cars resemble the NSX.

Pic of Okuyama:
_Ken-Okuyama-Pininfarina.jpg

So how long did the Honda engineers stay with Ferrari?

Someone said that they were hired, then shortly after, fired.

Instead of keeping Gato at the Ferrari factory, he was sent to Sauber in 1996, who were using the Ferrari Engine. Maybe the Italian firm got some heat from the public?

Or perhaps they got the secret and no longer need him as a perminent staff?

I know Mugen Honda was in the game, carry over after Honda pulled out in 1992.

Back