Honda V8

Yeah, but I think I could live with having this Honda V6 instead (assuming the V8 isn't available)
smile.gif

http://tmeekins.com/images/P0000536.jpg

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T
http://tmeekins.com

Your link is the same engine, with different anadized metals and minor cosmetic changes.

Look closely, count the chambers. I see 4 on this side, which would mean 4 on the other.

Look closer at some of the other stuff too, you'll see its the same core engine, the difference is represented by some turbo labels/options.

-B

Yup. They are pretty much the same engines.

Tim posted what I believe to be the HRH or HR-1 series engine from the 2000/2001 years. Actually, the Honda CART engines have pretty much looked the same from 1996 to 2001... the Weick picture is the first time I've seen it change in awhile... well, the change in valve cover and turbo plenum design anyway.
smile.gif

Ah nevermind...what do I know anyway...

Originally posted by tmeekins:
Yeah, but I think I could live with having this Honda V6 instead (assuming the V8 isn't available)
smile.gif

http://tmeekins.com/images/P0000536.jpg

It says V8 right on the side
rolleyes.gif

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

uh... doh! Next time I'll count the exhaust ports and notice that there's 4 on each side. For some reason, I remember it was a V6 and didn't bother looking any closer to see if it really was
smile.gif

It would be cool to get some measurements and see if it would fit in an NSX.

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T
http://tmeekins.com

Not likely to fit in an NSX. Its probably more compact than the V6 the NSX uses, but nothing in the NSX could handle that sort of Power. The Honda F-1 Engine has an output of something over 800hp and probably over 1000 in qualifying trim, and peaks out at something like 15,000rpms or so.

The NSX tranny and clutch would blow apart in a matter of milliseconds. Also, it probably runs on Methanol, not any sort of streetable fuel. It probably produces jack squat for power at less than 8K Rpm's, and at that RPM range doesn't even have enough to roll forward. Solution? Rev to 8K and dump the clutch for a Tire smoking launch. Wonder why F-1 races are always a rolling start?

Last I Checked one of those suckers cost $300,000 per season..and you weren't even allowed to open the engine. Lease only.
Talk about steep pricing.

Ahh...but wouldn't it be nice?

Originally posted by Edo:
Not likely to fit in an NSX. Its probably more compact than the V6 the NSX uses, but nothing in the NSX could handle that sort of Power. The Honda F-1 Engine has an output of something over 800hp and probably over 1000 in qualifying trim, and peaks out at something like 15,000rpms or so.

The NSX tranny and clutch would blow apart in a matter of milliseconds. Also, it probably runs on Methanol, not any sort of streetable fuel. It probably produces jack squat for power at less than 8K Rpm's, and at that RPM range doesn't even have enough to roll forward. Solution? Rev to 8K and dump the clutch for a Tire smoking launch. Wonder why F-1 races are always a rolling start?

Last I Checked one of those suckers cost $300,000 per season..and you weren't even allowed to open the engine. Lease only.
Talk about steep pricing.

Ahh...but wouldn't it be nice?

F1, rolling start??

THis is out of the topic, but the company i work is subcribes to automotive news magazine, and I read a really interesting article in it about a new production Bugatti car. How does a 952 HP and 960 ft-lb V-16 with QUAD-TURBO sound? Ill have to find that article...

Wonder why F-1 races are always a rolling start?
Last time I checked F-1 starts from a static grid. Maybe you were thinking of cart?

[This message has been edited by KGP (edited 14 March 2002).]

My mistake, yes I was thinking of CART.
I *think* the CART engine outputs are less than F-1...Am not sure...
but in either case, and traffic light to traffic light sort of driving isn't possible with that much power, mainly due to the clutch and power output of that engine.

As for the Bugatti engine, its the same one they showcased in the Bugatti EB110 if I remeber correctly, probably just uprated in power. 1000hp is not out of the question on a street car, Supra's do it all the time. Its not necessarily the peak output but HOW the engine produces the power.

Supra 1000hp (Peak at less than 15K probably)
F-1 1000hp (Peak at 15K rpms probably)

Most street car internals and drivetrains can't handle that kind of RPM's..let alone the power..

I was under the impression that the CART/IRL cars had more power than F1. Mostly because they're turbo, and they run on oval tracks.

Also, 1000hp even in a supra isn't *easy*, and not very driveable.

The top-end F1 motors these days are revving to 18-18.5k. CART I think is lower.

The average .12 to .15 cubic inch r/c car motor revs anywhere between 29k and 35k. =)

-Mike

[This message has been edited by grippgoat (edited 15 March 2002).]

From April Motor Trend:

CART:
Engine Type: 2.65L turbocharged V-8
Estimated horsepower: 850-900
Max rpm: 16,000 (est), not rules-limited
Est. top speed, mph: 245-250
Engine cost: $3.5-$4.5 million annual lease program including 30 engine rebuilds @ $50,000 each

IRL:
Engine Type: 3.5L naturally aspirated V-8
Estimated horsepower: 700
Max rpm: 10,700, rules limited
Est. top speed, mph: 235-240
Engine cost: $95,000 (mandated limit)

$3.4 mil for 200 more horsepower I 'd say thats the best horsepower per dollar I've seen
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 15 March 2002).]

F1 engines are to the best of my knowledge:

Type: 3.0L naturally aspirated V-10
Estimated horsepower: 850 to 950
Max rpm: 19,600 engine limited
Est. top speed, mph: 240 est
Weight: 200 pounds
Engine cost: $too much. Ferrari leases engines to Sauber for about 20 million a year, I don't know if spare parts are extra.

Back