Honda says no to a V8

Just saw a press release from Honda's President. He stated that Honda would not pursue a V8 due to the energy crisis that is upon us. He did not mention anything about the NSX replacement or for that matter the V10 engine. So I hope while they do not produce a V8 that this will not effect the future sports car. It is kind of a bummer that they won't have a V8 for the RL. Perhaps they can allow for a supercharger. I know that Comptech has an RL waiting for them at Honda to pickup and experiment with.

Manny

That's right...I don't know sh!t. I wager Honda cancels any large engine. They are a company on the right track, just half a decade early or so.

Just as an FYI, I believe Comptech has already installed a SC on an RL when the new RL just came out. The buyer was out of state and got the one in Niello Acura's showrrom at the time. It's nice to have the Comptech option given that Honda seems to view its niche differently than we seem to do.

That doesn't make a lot of sense..if Honda can't make a Displacement on Demand V8 the has great power and great fuel mileage they might as well close up shop and stick to lawnmowers.

When I last spoke with Shad at Comptech last week, he said that they have not yet tried a RL. He said that Honda had one waiting for them to pick up. They have placed a supercharger on a TL. I wish I could remember where I saw the article. I believe it was in the LA Times.

I highly doubt this will affect the NSX V-10.

Ferrari and Lamborghini will continue to sell sub 10MPG cars for a long time. I could see Honda putting out a 15-25mpg car. for people who can afford a $100,000 car, gas IS NOT an issue.

rickysals said:
for people who can afford a $100,000 car, gas IS NOT an issue.

No, but to them, their image is.

I don't see what their thinking is in making 3.5 V6s that guzzle the same juice as larger V8s. They should stop kidding themselves; if they're going to participate in F1, and promote that, it should translate into at least a couple of trickle-down products for the buyers of their cars.

rickysals said:
I highly doubt this will affect the NSX V-10.

Ferrari and Lamborghini will continue to sell sub 10MPG cars for a long time. I could see Honda putting out a 15-25mpg car. for people who can afford a $100,000 car, gas IS NOT an issue.

I would put money on it being a V-10 sublimated from BAR Honda's F1 program.........what else are you gonna do with all those V-10's lying around since F1 is going to V-8's for 06'? :biggrin:

While I don't have a favorite engine configuration to go with, it makes me wonder why not a V-8 based on Mugen's LM engine? Development is already there and if it's used/designed for the LM series, it has to be fairly robust...

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=319284

Quoting from the above link...

"Mugen MF408S engine
Debuting in the 2002 ALMS (American Le Mans Series), this 4 liter V8 engine has seen action every year since then. In 2004, it was used in the JGTC Series by the VEMAC RD408R GT500 class racing machine.

Specs for the MF408S in the VEMAC RD408R

* Layout: 90 degree V8 Naturally Aspirated
* Displacement: 4000cc
* Horsepower: 590hp / 9500rpm
* torque: 383lb/ft / 7500rpm
* Restrictor: 33.4mm x2 or 46.8mm x1
* Clutch: Carbon 4 plate
* length: 559mm
* width: 720mm
* height: 577mm
* weight: 131kg "

Not too shabby....

--
George

I still have yet to see one article that says Honda says no to a V8. Nothing online, nothing in Automotive News.

It was the oil crisis of the late 1970's and early 80's that opened up markets for Honda when fuel economy became a key selling point in cars. They should continue to produce a V10, but make sure it's the most efficient V10 on the planet. Afterall, the HSC is will be Honda's new flagship supercar -- it needs to 'show off' features Honda wants to be known for; reliablity, fuel economy, and "easy-to-modify-for-blingness". :D

birelkarter said:
I would put money on it being a V-10 sublimated from BAR Honda's F1 program.........what else are you gonna do with all those V-10's lying around since F1 is going to V-8's for 06'? :biggrin:

LOL... they could ship a couple around to your place? ;)

Back