Honda Possibly Pulling Out of F1

Ouch... I hope not. Programs like this give Honda credibility and a legitimate presence in the exotic car market.

Of course I'd want an NSX either way :D , but I hope they stick to it.

ix-nay F-1, or just BAR ??

Its unclear if they want to end their relationship with team BAR, or get out of F-1 altogether. From the article, it seems like the former.

There's still team JORDAN, right ??

Also, if the Williams-BMW arrangements go south, there may be a play there as well... they had some great F-1 history in the mid-80s, with pilots Nelson Piquet and Nigel Mansell.

Unless I'm mistaken, Honda ended their relationship with Jordan last year to focus on BAR. I think Jordan is using a Cosworth (Jaguar) engine now. The way I read this is Honda is considering pulling out completely.

This is just the sensationalism of the media at work. When there is not much news to report (it is preseason), the press must create stories. This is one such example.

Honda invests more than $200 million/year in F1 and most importantly they are beating Toyota on track. They are now at the point where the engine is making the power and the reliability is way up. The chassis is no longer a Reynard champcar "pseudo F1" piece of shit and they have special Michelin tires. They are now in the best position they have been since their return in 2000. After 4 years of hard work, why would they quit?

Secondly, as long as Toyota is in, I think Honda has to be there.

I've often thought that the release of next gen. NSX would coincide with Honda's return to F1 prominence. The original car showcased their F1 technology and success. I hope the next one does it again.

hondaholic said:
This is just the sensationalism of the media at work. When there is not much news to report (it is preseason), the press must create stories. This is one such example.

Honda invests more than $200 million/year in F1 and most importantly they are beating Toyota on track. They are now at the point where the engine is making the power and the reliability is way up. The chassis is no longer a Reynard champcar "pseudo F1" piece of shit and they have special Michelin tires. They are now in the best position they have been since their return in 2000. After 4 years of hard work, why would they quit?

I've often thought that the release of next gen. NSX would coincide with Honda's return to F1 prominence. The original car showcased their F1 technology and success. I hope the next one does it again.

Exactly what he said.

Speaking of Toyota.... it's wierd that they are in F1 and are one of the worlds best selling manufacturers, yet they have no real sports car.

Acura Honda = NSX, S2000
Chevy = Corvette
Dodge/Chrysler = Viper
Nissan = 350Z
Ford = GT, Mustang

Wake up Toyota!

hlweyl said:
Speaking of Toyota.... it's wierd that they are in F1 and are one of the worlds best selling manufacturers, yet they have no real sports car.

Acura Honda = NSX, S2000
Chevy = Corvette
Dodge/Chrysler = Viper
Nissan = 350Z
Ford = GT, Mustang

Wake up Toyota!

errr...... Let's not.

hondaholic said:

So true, although I disagree to that bit about the incompetence of the Reynard Champcar chassis.

Really not much to dispute about the Reynard designed BAR-chassis. It was a completly uncompetitive and after Reynard left they did their best to fix an already big mess. It may have made a great champ car chassis but the design concept was all wrong for F1. The BAR05 was the first non-Reynard designed (derived) chassis. I believe the BAR06 has quite a bit of input from Honda.

First official times of the season, past night from Australian GP:

1. M. SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'24"718, media 225,345 Km/h
2. BARRICHELLO Ferrari B 1'24"826
3. TRULLI Renault M 1'25"757
4. BUTTON BAR Honda M 1'25"786
5. ALONSO Renault M 1'25"853
6. R. SCHUMACHER Williams BMW M 1'25"882
7. MONTOYA Williams BMW M 1'26"206
8. COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes M 1'26"215
9. WEBBER Jaguar Cosworth M 1'26"312
10. RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'26"579
11. FISICHELLA Sauber Ferrari B 1'26"601
12. SATO BAR Honda M 1'26"967
13. MASSA Sauber Ferrari B 1'26"969
14. *ZONTA Toyota M 1'27"165
15. *DAVIDSON BAR Honda M 1'27"516
16. PANIS Toyota M 1'27"710
17. KLIEN Jaguar Cosworth M 1'27"724
18. DA MATTA Toyota M 1'27"807
19. HEIDFELD Jordan Ford B 1'27"826
20. *WIRDHEIM Jaguar Cosworth M 1'28"781
21. BRUNI Minardi Cosworth B 1'28"991
22. BAUMGARTNER Minardi Cosworth B 1'29"708
23. PANTANO Jordan Ford B 1'30"061
24. *GLOCK Jordan Ford B 1'30"291

Good Honda, good!

with malaysia's race proving that BAR is competitive this year, more and more speculations say that BAR will renew contracts and stay in f1. i think toyota has a great team with exceptional drivers, but their technology (probably due to budget) just isn't enough to make them competitive.

also, the remark about f1 and 2nd gen nsx. i heard the same thing! so it looks like the 2nd gen nsx (maybe hsc looking???) "should" be in production by the end of F1 season. =)

good luck BAR.

Re NSX1164's comment: actually I think it would be kind of cool to see a 7th gen Accord coupe or new TL out in the NASCAR circuit.
Not at the expense of F1, IRL or sportscar racing of course.

azndng said:
with malaysia's race proving that BAR is competitive this year, more and more speculations say that BAR will renew contracts and stay in f1.

Now, the same site says Honda is signing on for another 5 years for BAR. I suppose I should quit worrying about the news. If I don't like it, I can wait a couple of weeks and it will change.&

http://www.f1i.com/UpdateEngine?FUE...=publishArticle

FYI - BAR and Honda signed up as partners for another 5 years. In fact, BAR engineers are in Japan working with Honda on next year's F1 engine.

Back