Honda has one advantage over Lexus and BMW

Lexus and BMW seem to be in 1st and 2nd place in the luxury segment.
"Lust" sells cars in this price-range. No one needs a BMW or Lexus but we want them.

What does Honda have??? a small unique niche- a mid-engine, exotic looking car, that is affordable as a daily driver.

Honda is a lot like Porsche in this product segment. (Lucky for us guys that don't find P-car's round shape that attractive)

Is Honda giving-up its mid-engine? Good luck beating BMW and Lexus as the new kid on-the-block in the front engine luxury car segment.

What is their plan? What are they thinking?

Could they be moving out of the way, for the new Lotus to enjoy the sole position (affordable mid-engine) next to Porsche?...for the guys that want a sleeker alternative to Porsche's round shaped cars,...lets hope Honda brings back the HSC.

(Is Lotus still shopping for an engine for their Esprit? BMW/Toyota?)

Attachments

• Lotus_Esprit_New_2007.jpg
    Lotus_Esprit_New_2007.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 81
  • lotus New_Esprit_2008.jpg
    lotus New_Esprit_2008.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 103
  • lotus_espri  red   small.jpg
    lotus_espri red small.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Lexus and BMW seem to be in 1st and 2nd place in the luxury segment.
"Lust" sells cars in this price-range. No one needs a BMW or Lexus but we want them.

What does Honda have??? a small unique niche- a mid-engine, exotic looking car, that is affordable as a daily driver.

Honda is a lot like Porsche in this product segment. (Lucky for us guys that don't find P-car's round shape that attractive)

Is Honda giving-up its mid-engine? Good luck beating BMW and Lexus as the new kid on-the-block in the front engine luxury car segment.

What is their plan? What are they thinking?

Was the Legend not a luxury car?

Cheers,

AR

Honda also has the fact their cars aren't electrical nightmares like BMW's!!!!!!! My 330i has had three window regulators, the sunroof assembly, a tail light, and a headlight all replaced b/c of poor electrical design. Oh... and it's three years old....

Honda also has the fact their cars aren't electrical nightmares like BMW's!!!!!!! My 330i has had three window regulators, the sunroof assembly, a tail light, and a headlight all replaced b/c of poor electrical design. Oh... and it's three years old....

The 05 RL was an electrical nightmare - my wife's was in the shop for about 30 days in the first 12 months; broken sat nav, broken real-time traffic receiver, failed integrated control unit (twice), and 4 recalls for reprogramming the engine and transmission ECU. Check out C&D's long-term test results: http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/10770/long-term-test-review-2005-acura-rl.html

The last 12 months have been smooth sailing with the RL for my wife - no unscheduled service required.

Selling cars is about selling to the general public. Its about making more $ than you put into it. Midships are more difficult to work on and large labor bills usually deter people from midships. Meaning people usually avoid them except the enthusiast.

But I dont think the NSX is really a "luxury car" its more of a luxurious sportscar.

Acuras problem is that most people look at their cars and say "50K for a honda?" The RL is a nice car but for the pricetag, most ppl would rather save 10K, get a 3 serries BMW, and deal with electrical issues. I personally loved the RL my mom drove a lot more than my dads 3 serries but thats just me...
All in all if I want luxury i look to lexus.

Well when i was shopping for a new car.......the TL won out over every other car in its segment. Why? because i would have had to spend a ton more to get the same features in any other brand (lexus,BMW,mercedes etc)
The only real option is navi but everything else is included. Some of my co-workers drive some big dollar cars like BMW 750li, Range Rover, and even Ferrari. They all have had issues with their cars and had to take them back to the dealer. I just change my oil when needed :wink:
That is the reason why im going to buy an NSX cuz it has it all, decent power, looks, handling, exclusivity and most of all ....honda reliability.

Back