Home Alarm systems

How many of you have alarm systems in your home? What did you get? Are you happy with them? How much did you end up saving on your home insurance?

We had a company come out that sold both GE and Brinks and wanted to put a wireless system in for $1500 and charge 29.99 for monitoring. It sure sounded like a lot as they were coming to offer us a free system and just pay monitoring. The old bait and switch I suppose.

NetViper said:
How many of you have alarm systems in your home? What did you get? Are you happy with them? How much did you end up saving on your home insurance?

We had a company come out that sold both GE and Brinks and wanted to put a wireless system in for $1500 and charge 29.99 for monitoring. It sure sounded like a lot as they were coming to offer us a free system and just pay monitoring. The old bait and switch I suppose.
Because I travel for work quite a bit, I have always had alarm systems in my home. I have a fully wired system with multiple glass sensors and motion sensors. It's fully monitored with cellular backup.

I am very happy with my alarm system because it provides great peace of mind whether I'm home or not.

Don't go with Brinks. Brinks uses a proprietary system that other alarm monitoring companies can use, so you'd be stuck with them. If you want an alarm system, get quotes from at least 5 - 7 alarm companies.

I got that many quotes before I felt comfortable with the company I chose. I also checked with the BBB and the city police department as well.

I prefer wired system because of the cleaner look and less reliance on batteries. But wireless systems have gotten much better and the lithium ion batteries last several years now.

I also have my smoke detectors wired with my alarm system, so if they go off the fire department is automatically notified.

I also have an option with a wireless remote to automatically call the police, fire, or medics. A great option for elderly people as well if they fall and can't reach the phone.

Keep in mind that a good alarm system won't guarantee that your house will be always protected from burglars, but it greatly reduces the chance. Especially since I have neighbors who are automatically called if my alarm goes off, along with the police, if they are unable to reach me.

Thanks for the info. The Brinks guy said the house cannot be hard wired, so we will have to go wireless.

I was thinking of just buying a BRINKS sign on ebay and slapping it on the window and one in the yard. I bet that would work nearly as well :)

Oh yeah, they also sell the alarm kit (with optional wireless compononts) separately. I am not affiliated with this company, but I bet it would be cheaper than going with a company like Brinks or ADT.

I was thinking of just buying a BRINKS sign on ebay and slapping it on the window and one in the yard. I bet that would work nearly as well

The only problem with that is, it wouldn't work for getting a discount on your homeowner's insurance. At least not legally.

PHOEN$X said:
The only problem with that is, it wouldn't work for getting a discount on your homeowner's insurance. At least not legally.

I would not try and get a discount. The only reason I mentioned that is because the Brinks guy told us that there was a break in in our neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. 3 Homes in a row. The middle home had a brinks sign in the yard. They left it alone and robbed the two on either side.

I figure unless they acutally try and break in, the sign would deter them enough to target someone without a sign.

The best burglar alarm you can get, IMO, is dogs.

I had alarm monitoring for several years. I had my house built about 6 years ago, and the alarm system was included, so all I had to pay was the monitoring.

Once we got our first dog, we cancelled the service. Now we have 2 large (~120 lb) dogs, and anyone who has the balls to break in, despite these very intimidating animals (they have a very deep bark, and are pretty protective of the house), they are welcome to my stuff.

NsXMas obviously has the advantage of the alarm system alerting the fire department, which is nice. That is the only part I miss.

Have had 2 alarm systems. Probably not worth the expense, hassle and false alarms unless you are gone alot and the house is left vacant alot. If you do decide to do it, make sure the system is monitored locally, not at some switchboard in BF Egypt.
Lightning took out my last system and I haven't missed it since.

alarms are a necessity in Houston. more than peace of mind but can prevent a burglary. Some burglars pried the back door on my parents house and gained entry but left when the alarm system went off. It appears that they didn't even step inside. My house and my parents house use ADT since brinks subcontracts ADT to do there monitoring here.

Back