high power, tranny reliability?

Hi, Admittidly I dont own an NSX, However I am doing some research on tranny strengths looking for a tranny to swap into a high powered (400whp) drag Fiero. There are only two mid-engined cars I can think of that are (somewhat) common, and use a MT transaxle, The MR2-T, and the NSX. using a mid-engined transaxle will help in figuring out shift linkage. Anyhow, I'm wondering exactly how strong is the tranny in an NSX? By searching I've noticed a snap-ring issue that was common on some 91 (I believe?) nsx's, but other than that I couldnt find much on the strength of the tranny. Just some "it will wear faster" comments. Has anyone actually broken a gear? A R&P gear?

A swap like this will require LOTS of work (and money!) on my part, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before dedicing which tranny to go with. I would HATE to get a tranny into the car and working only to see it break after 5 trips to the drag strip on slicks... If anyone has any reccomendations on other MT transaxles capable of 400whp and 450ft/lbs that would be "bullit proof" please speak up. I'm Trying to stay with a MT as opposed to a built automatic as the car is more a "toy" than a competition drag car and will most likely see autox's, and possibly a track day here or there.

Also, what size R&P is in the NSX tranny? 8"? 9"?

thanks everyone :)

i would say stick with the MR2 tranny's.

New NSX tranny's are between $4000 - $6000. And used trannys are hard to come by. I purchased a couple "just in case", and will not part with them.

I'm pretty sure the MR2 trannys are cheaper and easier to come by, because in any type of high powered car..... you are going to run into tranny problems.

Ray

Well, the idea was that perhaps the NSX tranny was strong enough to hold without giving out?

The RX7 and Supra have tranny's that will easily hold 2x the factory HP rating. I was hoping the NSX would be as capable. 270*2 = 540hp. That would be enough to ensure that the tranny would be worth the money, so long as it was reliable at that high a power level.

What kind of HP are people pushing on the NSX over here? I see alot have the comptech SC, but I doubt that would be putting out the kind of power I am looking to see.. Any big turbo NSX's on the forum?

Back