High Milage NSXs

Okay, so I've finally come up with a plan to buy my first NSX, but I'm a little aprehensive about some things, maybe you guys can help me out.

1) I will have to take out a loan to buy a used one. On top of this, will only be able to afford a very used, early model (100,000 miles +). Is any car really worth $30,000 with that many miles on it...how much longer would it typically (or, theoretically) last?

2) My autoshop prof. says that I can have an engine re-built for about $1,000. This is something that I would definately do to the car, if it really is only $1,000. I also plan to upgrade to a 6-speed tranny, and swap out the flywheel for a lighter one and install a heavy-duty clutch. Once all that is done, I wouldn't mind having 100,000 miles on the rest of the car (I would eventually upgrade the suspension, and plan to be quite religious with basic maintinence).

My question is, would all that work offset the super high milage? What would be the best way to "restore" the car?

Any help you guys can offer is tremendously appreciated.

Thanks.

Naaman,

I do not own an NSX yet but I think I can shed a bit of light on your perceptions. First, there are very few early model NSXs (91-93) that will cost 30k if they have over 100k. They will usually be cheaper depending on condition.

You will not need a rebuild on the engine most likely if it is only around 100k miles. If you did need a rebuild, it would not cost 1k. It would cost considerably more depending on what needed rebuilding. It is hard to say how many miles one can put on these engines because the car is so rare. Furthermore, everyone drives their NSX diferently. Some may have a car with 55k miles on it but 36k of them are track miles. Others may have 92k highway miles. Those are very different miles. Either way, there is very little talk of doing rebuilds on this site or an NSX forum becuase it does not happen(perhaps without the aid of superchargers mixed with nitrous). With that said, I really do not know how much a rebuild is. I think most swap out engines if they blow one. I could be way off here, but I think an engine can cost anywhere from 5k(used) to 15k(new?) Take the latter quotes with a grain of salt.

Transmission work is expensive as well. I believe a new transmission costs around 7k. I do not know what used ones cost. The racing clutch will set you back around $1500-2000 depending on what you buy. That may seem like a lot but it is not much more than OEM really.

Suspension mods? That is something that I have not seen too much of really as the NSX is one of the greatest handling cars in the world. I think there are some anti-sway bars you can purchse though to help stiffen things up.

In my opinion, you do not want to buy an NSX with the plan that you are going to "restore" it by rebuilding the engine and replacing the transmission. The costs of doing said repairs would be staggering. The beauty of the NSX, unlike most other exotics, is that you won't have plan to replace and rebuild all of those mechanicals. In fact, I would not plan on doing any of the above aside from having your racing clutch waiting in the flank for when your stock one dies.

[This message has been edited by Edwardo (edited 28 September 2002).]

but with 100,000 miles? When I say "rebuild" the engine, I mean boring out the cylinders another 0.030" to get rid of taper and out-of-roundness, and such; and rounding out the crankshaft bearings etc. etch. And all of the labor on the mods, I would do myself.

And I intend to drive the car pretty hard from time to time (that's why the clutch, and, I don't know much about transmissions yet, but I don't imagine a 100,000-mile geezer would appreciate being pushed near its limits).

Instead of buying a cheap, high-mileage NSX and then spending thousands and thousands to rebuild the engine (which it probably doesn't need) and swap out the transmission (even though the old one is probably fine) and swap out the clutch (even though the old one might be fine too), why don't you spend a few extra thousand dollars and get a moderate-mileage NSX in good condition? You won't have to do ANY of those repairs (which you won't really need anyway) and you'll have the benefit of an engine and transmission with a lot fewer miles on them.

Those are just the things I planned to do FIRST, because I would need to take out as small a loan as possible, and, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to save up money over a period of time because someone (like my mom or other really important person) needs to "borrow" it to feed my little sisters, since their dad keeps flaking on the child support. That's just one example of the financial frustration in my family. More than half the credit card debt in my name was generated by my mother's necessity (I definately do not mind giving my mom money, she managed to keep me and four girls alive and healthy on less than $30,000/year for 25 years now).

Anyway, I want something that I can "trick-out." I plan on keeping it "forever," as well. The mods would be done for performance enhancement, not for longevity. I also want the experience/satisfaction that I "made" my car, that I am driving something that has my personal touch added to it.

I realize that I am going to have to wait a long time before I can actually buy one, even taking out a loan. And when I do, it will most likely be the least expensive clean-titled one I can find. I've been doing research for over a year now, and this is the car that I want.

Basically, after I'm done upgrading, I want to have spent as little money as possible on the car (since I only have a little bit of money). I am considering a high milege one BECAUSE I plan to upgrade most of the car (getting rid of a lot of the old parts).

The parts that I mentioned seem to be the "permanent" parts most affected by milage, so that's why they get the priority.

Does this still sound like a bad idea?

naaman,

if you ever want to check out a high mileage NSX, let me know. I bought mine with 120K (with complete maintenance records). The machine runs awesome. No repairs needed whatsoever...whoops, except for the dali window fixes.
smile.gif

just hit me up at [email protected] and ill be glad to let you take her for a spin.

I just bought my 92 Red/Blk with 94k on it and the clutch has never been replaced, the dealer said the clutch engaged a tad high but it passed all the tests. He said i more than likely won't need one soon. It needs tires, but the seller gave me a set of New rear tires. I will replace the windshild only because i really like glass that you can see. Not bad and i got it for 26.5k

[This message has been edited by bugsbunny (edited 03 October 2002).]

Bugs,

You might not have to have the windshield replaced. I think there are ways you can have it buffed and polished. I hear that removes many of the nicks and scratches. There are ways to repair it if there are tiny cracks as well. If you don't have to replace a windshield, do not.

Do a search on this forum for "windshield" to see all the pitfalls one can encounter with replaced windsheild. Good luck!

Hi all! I may be the newest addition to the list of "new" buyers very soon. I'm looking at a '92 Red/Black NSX with 60K miles on it. The only modifications I know of are new Volk Racing AV3 17x8 and 18x10 with Pirelli P7000 tires. Also it has a Comptech Performance clutch. The seller is including the OEM wheels with the car.

I'm very new to the NSX world and would love advice or suggestion on buying it. What should I do or look for to make sure it's in good condition? Are NSX's known for reliability? '92 is pretty old for a car but a friend told me that for an NSX I should make it an exception and try it out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

please read FAQ everything you need is there. welcome, i am new to the chance of purchasing the sweetest car on earth too good luck and you must check out the FAQ... How do i use a quote from a post reply?????? anyone

Originally posted by cpmoran:
How do i use a quote from a post reply?????? anyone

Click on the "reply" icon above the post you want to quote, and the entire post will appear automatically in your reply. Delete the previous post except the portion you want to quote.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Click on the "reply" icon above the post you want to quote, and the entire post will appear automatically in your reply. Delete the previous post except the portion you want to quote.

ahhh haaaaa thankyou nsxtasy

Ok, to the original poster-- why buy something like this if you are just going to tinker with perfection? 100k miles on ANY Honda is NOTHING. Ever heard the comment if it's not broke, don't fix it????

Anyway, we are also looking into getting a NSX... I'd prefer 94 Green with black leather but also considering any color 91-93 with Ivory. Don't really NEED it, but I really want one.

Current Cars:
2003 CL Type S Six Speed
2001 Electron Blue Prelude (for sale!)
1992 Prelude Si (winter car)

Originally posted by sexytoy:
Ok, to the original poster-- why buy something like this if you are just going to tinker with perfection? 100k miles on ANY Honda is NOTHING. Ever heard the comment if it's not broke, don't fix it????

Anyway, we are also looking into getting a NSX... I'd prefer 94 Green with black leather but also considering any color 91-93 with Ivory. Don't really NEED it, but I really want one.

Current Cars:
2003 CL Type S Six Speed
2001 Electron Blue Prelude (for sale!)
1992 Prelude Si (winter car)

Because tinkering is fun. Because if speed is one of your considerations when buying a car, it might as well be as fast as possible (but for some reason, turbos don't appeal to me... they seem like cheating). I don't know about Hondas, but I drive a Toyota pick up truck with 147,000 miles on it, and it is beginning to get a little quirky (up to now, though, it's been great... hooray for Japanese cars). Plus, 100,000 miles on a sports car is likely to include many miles of harder driving.

If I could have any NSX I wanted it would be the current model, white/tan, but with the original front end, and a black canopy. I like the tail end better on the 2002. I would probably go for a racing clutch and flywheel, and bigger tires and light weight (but keep the sound system because driving = music). I might put a muffler on it with a lower exhaust note, but I kinda like the sound of it stock.

Of course, I might change my mind about all of this when I actually drive the car...

Back