HID Kits BANNED? From bmw forum

GQ NSX

Registered Member
Is this really happenning? Could someone from SOS verify?

IMPORTANT:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little bit of background. NHSTA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID... well.. they just decided to BAN ALL HID KITS. They do not have a set regulation because HID does not use a filament.. therefore, no matter how accurate the HID kit is, it fails because of that ONE requirement. Well, DUH, HID has no filament, so it automatically fails.

After 8/15/2003, HID kits as you know it will never be sold again unless new laws are made. I'm sure there are all types of legal issues here,for one, this has all been done without anyone knowing. After 8/15/03, there will be a $5,000 fine PER DAY for vendors selling HID kits.

Therefore, I need to move out ALL my inventory.

All HID kits are now on sale on our website. Parts will still be available and warranties will still be honored after the above date. After 8/15, only parts sold for warranty purposes will be allowed.

You will begin seeing a LOT of HID vendors out there selling kits to move inventory, but we still stress the importance of going with Umnitza/Catz. I am not sure of the future of Umnitza in HID, but Catz will always be there for your warranty and replacement needs.

ravi

In canada i was told it is illegal to install HID lights on any car. It is ok to use them ONLY if they came on the car as OEM.

Well, if this law is true.. i better get a set soon.. when they start the discounts :)

Sorry, I just don't get it...

Banned? What exactly does this even mean? If it means "no aftermarket HID kits will be DOT-approved", how is that be much different than what we have right now where many HID kits are for off-road use only (not DOT-approved)? Folks will still install them anyway... I would imagine local law enforcement has better things to do than HID-stings.

If it means "fine manufacturers, vendors, distributors, vendors involved in the sale of HID kits", what about if I want to use them for my race car (or another off-road use). BS

Sounds like this guy is just trying to make some sales... the various "inventory-blowout" sale schemes used auto dealerships come to mind. ;)

I've heard of this issue 3 years ago.

Primarily based on people's discomfort in on-coming cars with HIDs that make them dizzy. There were also accidents which drivers blamed on-coming xenons for blinding them in seeing the road :rolleyes:

I was told, back then, that a lot of cars in the west coast did not come with xenons because they were getting "banned." That was also the reason why you don't see any xenons in the 1st Fast and Furious movie (as if it could be a promotion).

Whether it's true or not, I really don't know. Just my $.02 for information's sake.

<---thats what this guy was hoping :D

Just wanted to share some info, looks like it's probably false as I had first discerned.

rav

nsxxtreme, Thanks for the link.

I read the thread and the pages he linked to. umnitza is not only misinformed, he's naive, paranoid, and clearly lacks an even basic understanding of request-for-comments, how the NHTSA operates, and, to some-degree, common sense.

In particular, check out his reply in this post. He even admits, refering to the document he cited as proof: "I don't know what all this means". Of course, it's clearly just the slides from the presentation of some research on the impact of HID to motorists. Even if there was information that supported what umnitza thinks, it would be taken out of the context of the presentation itself, making it hard to interpret accurately. He previously cited two different articles on SEMA's site and interpreted both incorrectly. :rolleyes: He finally admits: "I don't know how the NHTSA operates, I just get spooked, I relay the fact that I'm spooked."

Last edited:
Well, i will get some for sure before that date..

Me too, thats for sure. Too bad I don't even have an NSX yet =( I have to buy them though, so no worries.

time for the search key for pics of nsxs with hids!:D :cool:

ravi:eek:

I saw it, I don't think it is true. Car makers have HELLA pull in Washington and I don't think this would go lightly as more and more cars have them.

It's not as bad as proposed regulation in Europe to make car hoods like 2 feet taller to help protect pedestrians.:eek: Every car would look like a RR.

Anyone have any updates?

So far, from what I understand: Most aftermarket HIDs have always been illegal as they do not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. Pretty common knowledge, no news here.

However, enforcement is currently being stepped up. Recently, the NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance (OVSC) sent inquiries (regarding compliance, responsibilities, etc.) to HID manufacturers. The due date for the manufacturer's responses was August 15th. I believe that's where the so-called "ban date" came from.

I had a hard time finding any useful information on the NHTSA's site. So, I tried contacting them by email and phone. I was able to leave a message, but have yet to hear back.

I found information that appears to be somewhat reliable here: http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=613

Does anyone else have any updates (preferably with references to specific documents from NHTSA)?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Ojas.

See I told you guys!

However, seems like many vendors still have them in stock--and manufacturers haven't seemed to stopped production.

Only time will tell how stringent enforcement will be. I know in California people get pulled over for having neon washer nozzles.

ravi

Back