HID headlights - one side brighter than the other

I currently have DF's oem HID headlight for my 02 headlights. the right side is noticable brighter than the left. I had the same problem before my 02 facelift conversion when I had whitensx's HID headlights.

What could be the cause of this? Wiring, relay?

TIA

Two posible scenarios:

- the projector lens one the one side is dirty or has a buildup of gunk on it, or may even be cracked. (I have seen this more than once)

- the bulb or ballast may be defective (if the bulb ouput is reduced due to being old, it usually changes color too)

First thing to do is switch the bulbs from side to side, then switch ballasts. Once you rule that out, look at the lens inside (the actual projector lens) and look for residue on it or a crack.

It's also very easy to check the operating voltage, and even the current draw and compare sides.

Last edited:
I currently have DF's oem HID headlight for my 02 headlights. the right side is noticable brighter than the left. I had the same problem before my 02 facelift conversion when I had whitensx's HID headlights.

What could be the cause of this? Wiring, relay?

TIA

When my oem HID went bad, the front headlamp warning on the dash board lit up. After several weeks it went bad. I replace both with aftermarket HID system that is 6000Watt rated.

Back