• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hi hp limitations?

Since I am currently doing a motor build I am also wondering at what point the amount of power becomes hard to handle. I know the x is so light and gets good traction and stuff but there must be a point where it's so much power it becomes un usable. I've been running 470 wh on a dynojet. I am thinking I will target 535 ish when done. Maybe I will run hi and lo boost with toggle switch. Undecided. Can you guys chime in that are in the 500-600 hp range and let me know what it's like? Is there a hp # that tires break loose uncontrollably and it's just "stupid fast"? I understand that aero, and brakes come into play as well.
Thanks.

Depends on your experience and goals. I'd say 500 rwhp feels decently fast, but is readily controlled, in a straight line. At the 600rwhp range, it's a little more anxiety inducing. 700ish rwhp even more so. The wheel spin, even at 80, 90 mph on a cold day is a given. Plan accordingly.

You'll need a lot of tire to handle anything over 550whp. Or a capable traction control system to help manage the wheelspin. We've been hard at work this winter on several high-HP NSX's, and making them civil enough for anyone to drive them.

http://www.lovefab.com/News

ps....anything much over 550flbs of torque at the wheels, and you'll enter the gearbox danger zone.

Some good answers above. My torque is around 450, its still manageable with 275 tires. At low boost, 380tq you will still have full control with same tires.

Some good answers above. My torque is around 450, its still manageable with 275 tires. At low boost, 380tq you will still have full control with same tires.

To expand on this a little further.

Torque is what pushes the car forward. HP is a sum of torque and rpm.

What matters more than anything is the torque curve.
A car that make 550hp but has a steep torque vs a 500hp car with a flat torque curve.
The 500hp car will be much faster and also more challenging to drive "tire spin"

How many of you drive you car at redline? HP is a measurement at or very near redline.

vehicle weight will also have a influence over drive-ability. The heaver car will need more grip for the same amount of torque than a lighter car.
While I'm going down this rat hole... Driveline mass will also have a influence as well. But this isn't measured directly by a dyno. It effects rate of change.

A supercharged car that has low end torque vs a turbo setup that has steeper torque curve will drive differently.

My car only makes 440 rwhp but 300 fbs of torque at 2000 rpm. it will spin the stock rear tire all day long.
I had to go to a good 285 rear tire and still can't get on it with the Traction control on.
The car weighs 3000 Lbs with a very light drivetrain

If my car made 100hp more i don't think it would be usable on the street. On the race track that is a different story. :)

Later,
Don

This is good info thanks you guys. I guess I overlooked the tq factor. I believe mine currently makes about 350 and traction is not an issue this far. Tires are 265 r888 compound but might switch to sumitomo 3 to have matching set to front in my size. Fronts are currently not r comp and had a good discussion with the tire guys that suggest matching front to back. But I don't think they are over 500 hp. So it's a different dynamic. What you guys for for tires?

The R888 should provide allot of grip. I have the The ADVAN Neova AD08 R and like these on the street. For the track I am using Hoosiers. :)
I have 10" wide rear wheels so I can handle a 285. The R888 are really a track tire. I haven't use the R888's. A while back I was using the RA1's my understanding is the R888's are better.

What really matters is how you feel about your car and the performance. Dyno plot isn't everything. :)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back