HF Cats and CA SMOG Emissions Testing

I believe I have the 300 cell units and passed late last year

EDIT: Confirmed I have the 300 cell

Last edited:
We have about 7 verified NSX owners in California that have passed CA emissions with our 300 cell cores. They work! If you have any other problems that might trigger a CEL it will not pass with or without the OEM cats. Just make sure you get them hot and you should be fine.

Be sure you go to a Smog station that offers a free retest should you fail the first time around. :wink:

We have about 7 verified NSX owners in California that have passed CA emissions with our 300 cell cores. They work! If you have any other problems that might trigger a CEL it will not pass with or without the OEM cats. Just make sure you get them hot and you should be fine.
You probably have access to this so hence the special request. Do you have a picture (such as below) comparing the core density of a 100, 200, and 300+ cell?

Cat_WP.jpg

My stock cat were bad.

I replaced with the Science of speed after market cats and passed with flying colors.

Don]

This happened to me as well and the new Random cats from SOS lasted two years as I failed my smog this time but barely passed with a set of borrowed OEM cats from NSXclear.

I plan to buy a set of HF cats for the next smog test either the Random cats again or the Prospeed 300+ cell JUST for smog test.

This seems to be my best option to pass smog. good OEM cats are hard to come by.

Last edited:
This happened to me as well and the new Random cats from SOS lasted two years as I failed my smog this time but barely passed with a set of borrowed OEM cats from NSXclear.

How many miles did you put on the Random Tech cats? $600 to last two years is not very good.

My Prospeed HFC passed smog without problem. I believe i have the 300.:wink:

That's exactly what I hear through the grapevine. With HF Cats you will pass the first and maybe the second time but after that they're toast.

Ditto. So I think the best way for me is to buy a spare set of HF cats and use it only for smog. A good set of OEM cats are so hard to find. Its such a pain every two years.

Back