Hey Honcho.. Honda might be listening ...kinda

I was just about to post that! :)

Great minds

Honda is confusing me more everyday:cool:

You are not alone. From V10 to V6 hybrid sounds like Honda is more confused everyday ..LOL

If they go mid engine though ( if that's possible ) they'll definitely be considered innovative. Especially if it performs. The old V6 IMA hybrid was actually pretty quick but it delivered performance more so than fuel economy and so got dropped. Same principle applied to the J series could be pretty sweet though with at least four hundred to the wheels easy. Biggest concern is weight.

Seems interesting and all, but I don't see anything at all from Honda about this..it's just a random interumor. Not that anything Honda says isn't subject to gross changes lately.

This article has some inaccuracies. It states that the NSX will be based on the next Gen RL platform....this part is confusing because Honda's CEO Takanobu Ito just said RWD platforms are dead.

Does that mean the NSX is based on the FWD version of the RL? I doubt that.

I hope for mid-engine DNX/HSC type design.

From TOV

"that Honda has suspended its RWD development program and will shift its focus towards developing hybrid powertrains for larger vehicles. Ito-san is quoted as saying "It would be meaningless to emulate what other companies have been doing for more than five decades." , and that they intend to pioneer in new areas."

nothing to see here folks, move along.

HSC name would make sense:rolleyes:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/21/next-honda-nsx-could-be-dubbed-super-hybrid-sports/

Hopefully they'll go mid engine with it. Gonna be a heavy mother though.

Maybe our message is getting through? :biggrin: Ditto on the hybrid issue though, it will add too much weight and hamper performance. They should give us a high-revving J37 variant tuned to PZEV on the low cam. Or a TDI. You can still call it green and get over 30mpg. Not bad for a mid-engined exotic if you ask me. :smile:

So they want to do a v6 hybrid whilst Toyota is moving foward with the LFA and Nissan already established a benchmark with the GTR.:rolleyes:
I guess they want to compete with the Fisker Karma now??:confused:

So they want to do a v6 hybrid whilst Toyota is moving foward with the LFA and Nissan already established a benchmark with the GTR.:rolleyes:
I guess they want to compete with the Fisker Karma now??:confused:

There is no way in the world they can compete with the LFA -- at $200,000+ it makes no sense.

The should however have a car that competes with the GTR. A hybrid is a stupid idea for a sports car IMO. People that buy high-end sports cars generally are not worried about MPG.

The Fisker Karma is gorgeous, but with a top speed of 125MPH, it wouldn't be much good at a track event.

The more I read, the more it seems the Hybrid idea might work. There is a good chance the next NSX will feature SH-AWD. One idea being floated around is a 350hp J37 up front and a 100hp motor driving the rear wheels. What I like better is putting the J37 in the middle and putting the motor on the front wheels. For puttering around the city, the powertrain would work like a hybrid, with the motor essentially making it a FWD electric with the engine engaging only to charge the batteries. Flipping a "Sport" mode switch or button would bring the J37 online permanently, linking it with the motor and AWD system, giving the driver a 450hp SH-AWD monster. Of course, in that case I would probably drive it in "Sport" mode all the time. :biggrin:

People that buy high-end sports cars generally are not worried about MPG.

Well not too long ago they said that people who drive high end cars don't care about reliability ..LOL

The more I read, the more it seems the Hybrid idea might work. There is a good chance the next NSX will feature SH-AWD. One idea being floated around is a 350hp J37 up front and a 100hp motor driving the rear wheels. What I like better is putting the J37 in the middle and putting the motor on the front wheels. For puttering around the city, the powertrain would work like a hybrid, with the motor essentially making it a FWD electric with the engine engaging only to charge the batteries. Flipping a "Sport" mode switch or button would bring the J37 online permanently, linking it with the motor and AWD system, giving the driver a 450hp SH-AWD monster. Of course, in that case I would probably drive it in "Sport" mode all the time. :biggrin:

Agreed Honda seems to be looking to do something different maybe this will finally get them off the pot:biggrin:

I still think TDI is the way to go. Hybrids are too heavy for sports cars unless you're getting 500+ hp out of it. Ford has got their new Ecoboost 3.5L DOHC V6 that is putting out 355hp with 20% better fuel economy than a comparable V8. I am sure Honda could do better than that. A J32 or J35 TDI using the K23A variable flow turbo could easily hit 450hp with a 8000rpm limit. With a 6 or 7 speed gearbox, that engine would also be 30+ mpg on the highway.

I still think TDI is the way to go. Hybrids are too heavy for sports cars unless you're getting 500+ hp out of it. Ford has got their new Ecoboost 3.5L DOHC V6 that is putting out 355hp with 20% better fuel economy than a comparable V8. I am sure Honda could do better than that. A J32 or J35 TDI using the K23A variable flow turbo could easily hit 450hp with a 8000rpm limit. With a 6 or 7 speed gearbox, that engine would also be 30+ mpg on the highway.

I am with you there. a 3.5L V6 with turbo would easily do 450HP. Plenty for a next gen NSX and delivery good fuel economy. If they had only done that in 2002. :(

Would it be a smart move to go CF on most/all parts to save weight if it really was a concern?

Why not use Tesla's idea and build an all electric GTR killer? :)

It would be a shame if the new "NSX" is a FWD v6 :(

how about an AWD mid mounted diesel?

:)

Why not use Tesla's idea and build an all electric GTR killer? :)

It would be a shame if the new "NSX" is a FWD v6 :(

I always thought Honda should do that as an S2000 replacement. They should leave the NSX for Acura. :)

A supercar gas/electric hybrid? Lol...whatever.

NOW, if Honda put something like the F1 KERS system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvexjr2ax0 into a new petrol supercar, then that could be cool and would also help with their "green" branding. Imagine an NSX with 450 NA hp + 100 hp on demand (like having NOS, basically, without the hassles). It would be easier to drive than a normal 550 hp car, too, since most people wouldn't give it boost in a corner -- unlike a Ford GT, ZR1, etc.

Last edited:
Back