Hey guys, Im new here

And I actually dont own a NSX, I actually dropped in based on the various EXTREMELY informative exhaust threads you guys have here...

I just wanted to say congratulations on in my opinion being probably the most informative car forum Ive ever joined....

I sadly am a rather poor individual, but I do hope to get a NSX possibly 20 year down the road haha...

Regardless ide like to say thanks to Mac Attack for the help hes given me so far.

I kind of feel bad as I dont have alot to contribute to the site...

So I figured ide hit you guys with my gated/sequential/short shifter design that Im in the process of creating, and maybe someone here would find it useful for your guys cars...

Basically this shifter is designed to eliminate the central pivot for the shifter, by doing this your throws between shifts will only be 1.5-2" between gears (hence the "short" throw), it is also gated as seen, but because the throws will be so short and its gated the way it is, I say its partial sequential because like a sequential shifter, it would be nearly impossible to miss a gear..(however you'd have to get use to its reverse shift pattern)

308787_139469089487754_100002739921446_134545_1308631962_n.jpg

315068_139470072820989_100002739921446_134549_608083260_n.jpg

so hopefully you guys find it useful lol

Last edited:
...I just wanted to say congratulations on in my opinion being probably the most informative car forum Ive ever joined....

I sadly am a rather poor individual, but I do hope to get a NSX possibly 20 year down the road haha...

Welcome in joining us Primers though I'm pretty sure you posted in the wrong section. :tongue:

Hang on to the Power of Dreams and I'm sure you'll own an NSX one day. Oh and I'm still relatively poor.

As for your shifter design, I liked the idea of a shorter throw. However, have you ever thought of disengaging the gear? My left foot can't hold onto the clutch at a stop forever...

Welcome in joining us Primers though I'm pretty sure you posted in the wrong section. :tongue:

Hang on to the Power of Dreams and I'm sure you'll own an NSX one day. Oh and I'm still relatively poor.

As for your shifter design, I liked the idea of a shorter throw. However, have you ever thought of disengaging the gear? My left foot can't hold onto the clutch at a stop forever...

haha thx for the welcome man

lol i posted in the best section i could think of for my odd situation haha...

and neutral is still in the same place it always is? lol in between ever gear

basically the design just reverses a traditional shift pattern, and eliminates the pivot, therefore making the throws very short... i added the gate to make missing a gear near impossible, esp. since there is such a minimum movement between gears...

Last edited:
Neat idea, however going into reverse means that you have follow the gate the entire way, and then the same going back into first. A little inconvienent imho.

Neat idea, however going into reverse means that you have follow the gate the entire way, and then the same going back into first. A little inconvienent imho.

I would say the design is based more on the weekend racer/road warrior compared to a daily driver

While I agree with you reverse to first may be troublesome, I say its worth it for the reduced throw you get. Also with how fast you can transition between gears due to the reduced throw, once you get used to the shifter I dont think you'll really see any difference in the time it takes to get from one side to another

I guess this product would be more for someone who wants something better than a short shifter, but doesn't want to fork out for a true sequential shifter...

Whats great is since its purely a non complex mechanical mechanism, I had planned on selling them (for the car i own) for around $300 which is far cheaper than any sequential shifter, and just slightly more expensive than a short shifter

Last edited:
yeah why re-learn gears? what does this serve? to be different?

SOS already offers a short throw system
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...e_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/short_shifter_kit/

sounds good in another country maybe but....

would this be for cars that are RHD? as who would want 1st gear in a LHD car be in the reverse position?

as for throw you actually can pull harder than pushing its the way a Human's anatomy body is built.
so pulling down from 1st to second would be way faster than pushing up to second.

my 2 cents

Last edited:
yeah why re-learn gears? what does this serve? to be different?

SOS already offers a short throw system
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...e_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/short_shifter_kit/

sounds good in another country maybe but....

would this be for cars that are RHD? as who would want 1st gear in a LHD car be in the reverse position?

as for throw you actually can pull harder than pushing its the way a Human's anatomy body is built.
so pulling down from 1st to second would be way faster than pushing up to second.

my 2 cents

I was trying to get a better throw reduction than 25%, With what i designed your talking close to a 75% throw reduction, it will vary from car to car, but Im pretty sure with the car ill be using it on ill have a 1" throw between gears

Because you no longer have a pivot, your shift pattern reverses.

You complain about not wanting to relearn gears, which i understand, but even with a sequential shifter, you have to relearn shift patterns...

As for pushing and pulling, okay your body can push faster than it can pull...

No matter what the shift pattern is, your still pushing and pulling the same amount of times, just in different gears, but that is completely negligible in this circumstance because its not like your applying a full body load to change between gears.

lol I just thought ide share my idea with you guys, as some members here were gracious enough to help me out... if you dont like my idea that's cool

But the advantages of is are clearly evident, at least to myself

Last edited:
I wasnt bashing it per say, I was just kinda asking questions
learning new gears patern its not hard.

if you defending it thats fine

its just my opinion, you were asking for opinions or questions so I gave a few.

you asked what we thought.

I wasnt bashing it per say, I was just kinda asking questions
learning new gears patern its not hard.

if you defending it thats fine

its just my opinion, you were asking for opinions or questions so I gave a few.

you asked what we thought.

lol its all good man, didnt mean to get defensive :wink:

I am def. open to opinions/questions/bashing.... I just attempt to explain/defend based on the questions, sometimes I get a little to overly defensive haha

Last edited:
haha thx for the welcome man

lol i posted in the best section i could think of for my odd situation haha...

and neutral is still in the same place it always is? lol in between ever gear

basically the design just reverses a traditional shift pattern, and eliminates the pivot, therefore making the throws very short... i added the gate to make missing a gear near impossible, esp. since there is such a minimum movement between gears...

Ah~ I see where you're coming from now.

Shawn, I believe his idea comes from 5-Speed Getrag Transmissions like one in a Diablo where 1st Gear is at the position of most cars' 2nd nowadays.

You're dead on that our bodies pull harder than push though it is also true that we pull harder towards our body versus pulling away from our torso. This should also result in a quicker shift time.

Am I thinking more in-line with you, OP? :confused:

Ah~ I see where you're coming from now.

Shawn, I believe his idea comes from 5-Speed Getrag Transmissions like one in a Diablo where 1st Gear is at the position of most cars' 2nd nowadays.

You're dead on that our bodies pull harder than push though it is also true that we pull harder towards our body versus pulling away from our torso. This should also result in a quicker shift time.

Am I thinking more in-line with you, OP? :confused:

lol honestly i dont know much about the getrag transmissions

here is the basis for my idea

your typical shifter has a pivot in the middle

so when your car is in 1st (top left), the ACTUAL position of the bottom of the shifter is in the bottom right hand corner

by removing the pivot (therefore your shifter is not a perfectly vertical stick attached directly to the shift rod) the shifter would sit right on top of the actual gear position (hence why first is in the bottom right hand corner)

by doing this your removing a LEVER which in turn drastically reduces your shift throws

HOWEVER the only 2 small downside to my design is that because you are removing a lever, you have to give the shifter something else to ride on...

hence why i made the gate up top

the shifter will ride like this

THREADED shift knob
.5" stainless washer
.5" x 1/8" teflon bushing
gated aluminum plate (shift rod 1/4" and the gate slot at 3/8" so i can insert another teflon bushing where the shifter rides)
.5" x 1/8" teflon bushing
.5" stainless washer
stainless lock nut

the teflon bushings are to reduce the coefficient of friction (so you dont have metal riding on metal, we designed some aluminum based items in one of my college classes, and used teflon in the same instance... if there is a better material please let me know)

the second downside is this (and until i can test it im not sure if its a downside at all)

but cars are designed so ANYONE can operate them, even 90 year old grandmas

so when a lever based shifter is designed they make it so a VERY small amount of pressure is required to operate the shifter (they do this by moving the pivot either up or down), by eliminating the lever (and pivot), It will POSSIBLY be VERY slightly harder to push the knob between gears however, I wont know until ive made one...

but im all for a nice firm clunk between gears

Last edited:
but cars are designed so ANYONE can operate them, even 90 year old grandmas

so when a lever based shifter is designed they make it so a VERY small amount of pressure is required to operate the shifter (they do this by moving the pivot either up or down), by eliminating the lever (and pivot), It will POSSIBLY be VERY slightly harder to push the knob between gears however, I wont know until ive made one...

I think you will see a 3 to 4 times increase in effort needed to change gears. A stock shifter uses leverage to ease the shifting. All manufacturers could make the pivot point in the middle or even close to the shifter itself to shorten throws. They don't because they would loose leverage and increase the force required to shift. The second issue is this would be annoying even as a weekend car as you would have to go from 6-5-4-3-2-1 at every stop light. Cool idea but not worth any more of your time IMHO.

Back