Here to learn as much as possible

Hello I'm here to learn as much as possible about NSXs before I buy one.

My goal is to acquire a 993 C4S, a pop-light NSX, a 2nd gen Viper GTS, and a 3rd gen RX7.

I'll start with the NSX first!

Hello I'm here to learn as much as possible about NSXs before I buy one.

My goal is to acquire a 993 C4S, a pop-light NSX, a 2nd gen Viper GTS, and a 3rd gen RX7.

I'll start with the NSX first!

Figure out which year you are targeting, then the color combo
91-94
95-96
97-01
02-05

The Wiki at the top of the page should help you learn more about the differences in models by year: engine, transmission, etc
-

Thanks for breaking down the years for me.
Narrowed it down to 95-96, Formula Red, and manual transmission.

Here are photos of my other cars. The NSX won't be the fastest...but one of the best looking.

Attachments

• IMG-20120427-00780.jpg
    IMG-20120427-00780.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG-20120609-01055.jpg
    IMG-20120609-01055.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 96

Here are photos of my other cars. The NSX won't be the fastest...but one of the best looking.

Why 95-96 out of curiousity?

Wondering the same :confused:. The 95-96 has the extra weight of the targa but none of the improvements of the 97+ (3.2, 6-speed, weight reduction).

95-96 is easily the least desired year range for an NSX. However, they do seem to appeal to certain drivers that want the low price of an early NSX with a Targa top.

^^ That is my gut feeling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I won't rule out other years if I find an outstanding car.

Wondering the same :confused:. The 95-96 has the extra weight of the targa but none of the improvements of the 97+ (3.2, 6-speed, weight reduction).

I read your thread that offers help to prospective owners. Thanks!

No problem, happy hunting

If this one checks out in a PPI at SOS (since the car is local), its a very good price for a 1999

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164374

(I don't know the owner or the car) If you get serious, there are a bunch of primers here in PHX, including myself, that can check it out

Why 95-96 out of curiousity?

95-96 is easily the least desired year range for an NSX. However, they do seem to appeal to certain drivers that want the low price of an early NSX with a Targa top.

Cost is the main reason. The 95-96 is the cheapest way to enjoy a targa NSX. They average $3-6k more than the equivalent mileage 91-94 so I'm not sure they can be classified as less desirable. The 97+ is better of course but once again the price moves up and the performance is only nominally better. A 95-96 is a great way to dip your toe into the targa NSX pool.

Last edited:
the 95 96 cars are more "inferior" on paper, in real world conditions the differences are more subjective usualy hinging upon the 6 speed trannie.

. The 97+ is better of course but once again the price moves up and the performance is only nominally better.

The 6-speed alone is worth it IMO. Performance is better, but the 6-speed makes it feel much faster.

Cost was a factor in my desire for a 95/96. I wanted the removable top and at the time (and even currently), there was around a 8K premium for NA2 97+ models with the same mileage. In my opinion, it was not worth the extra gear and 20 hp in and I could have used the funds to for a supercharger. You should drive both, just to compare.

If you were to finance, you could justify the NA2 premium (resale also), but when paying cash the premium seems more significant for a weekend toy. I am more than happy with the slowest and least desired model :) BTW, my 95 feels faster than the 91 I previously owned, so some of the perceived slowness is really on paper and would depend on the car.

Hope this helps and good luck.

The 6-speed alone is worth it IMO. Performance is better, but the 6-speed makes it feel much faster.

I had a 95 with JDM short gears. add this to headers and exhaust and you'll be fine. Header/Exhaust is a very common mod for these years, so you'll likely be able to find one with this already done. Add the short gears and you'll be fine and still to the good on the cash side of things.

Actually the 95-96 does has some of the "important" improvements.
Fly by wire, power steering on manuals,and as covered in the WIKI:
Limited Slip Differential Changes on manual transmission cars. Went from Torque Control Ddifferential to a Torque Reactive Differential - when combined with Throttle-By-Wire, increases speeds out of a corner by 10%. Automatic cars keep old differential.
OBD II

The car is only 100 pounds heavier which as one person pointed out is like having a 9-10 year old in the passenger's seats.
I really can't feel a difference of that weight in the car.

95-96 is easily the least desired year range for an NSX.

It certainly doesn't show by what they command in terms of price in the marketplace.

With like conditioned/maintained cars you will find the newer the car, the higher the price.

I'm astounded by what some of the 02+ cars are being sold for, and getting their price too.

Back