help

Hi, I am 15 at the moment and turning 16 in March, which will be my time to buy my car. I have always wanted an nsx all my life and am highly considering one. I would like to know if the 3.2l engine and the 6 spd tranny is well worth waiting off till I'm 18 and having enough money to buy a 97+ model. My budget right now is 35k, I know that I can't find a 97+ nsx for that price, so I was wondering if it is worth waiting a couple more years to get a 97+ model rather than getting a 91' when I turn 16. Also too, I've heard that the 15 extra hp isn't what makes the 97+ models greater, but it's the 6 spd transmission, so I'd also like to kow for those of you who have done the swap of converting a 5spd to a 6spd the toal you paid for it to be completely installed. thanks guy and Im looking forward to being in the nsx family when I get one.

I would suggest using the money for your college education, and waiting until after that before getting an NSX of your choice. Keep in mind that a college campus is not a good place to keep an NSX, so you're not going to want one there anyway.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

The link above is a useful guide for the differences for each model year.
I am impressed that you have the capability to buy any car at that budget, not yet 16 - I know one particular member who just had a 16th birthday this week who will surely be envious.
There is a lot to consider with the differences & much is down to your personal desires: I have a 5-speed & I am content with it - those who want additional 0-60 performance might consider the short gears which is a much more affordable option than a 6-speed retrofit. The HP difference on earlier cars can mostly be made up with a header @ ~$1500 installed. The coupe is more rigid & lighter, which somewhat offsets the HP. A targa is a desirable feature for some - many I know rarely use it, even here in CA. Again, I personally don't find myself craving one, but that is individual.
Bottom line is, you probably won't lose a whole lot more depreciation by getting an earlier coupe now & I think it will be plenty fast enough you'll find, until you can afford a 3.2 T 6-speed later, if that is your ultimate goal.
Good luck!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I would suggest using the money for your college education, and waiting until after that before getting an NSX of your choice. Keep in mind that a college campus is not a good place to keep an NSX, so you're not going to want one there anyway.

Excellent advice - of course not knowing your personal situation, mrfd3s, did not want to presume anything - however, nsxtasy, regardless, he (she?) has 2 years of high school before college & maybe could enjoy an early NSX for a while before selling it to finance school!
(It'll look really good in the HS parking lot - could have some fabulous side-benfits too - I can picture the Prom date right now! LOL!)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 30 December 2002).]

thanks guys for your advice, my high school right now is full of high end cars so I won;t have much to worry about that and besides i dont have much enemies at school. I already have my college money, which my parents made sure they had before buying me any car. I also plan on going to a local school here in southern california so I dont have to worry about dorm parking or anything like that. The biggest reason that I want the nsx is because of the fun factor, I dont plan on doing stupid things with it or showing off, but for my person enjoyment and fun. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the advice you'd given me so far.

Ever consider something else to drive besides the NSX that won't cost you all of your $35k. It may not be exactly what you want right now, but it may be better than what most kids have. I know its tuff sometimes not to be influenced by what you see in your HS parking lot or just in the world in general. Even us old guys suffer from that bug. Have you considered your ins/maint/ etc on a NSX. You will change your mind more times than you can count from now until your a college senior. Maybe you should try waiting longer, then buy yourself a graduation present. In a few short years you can buy the 97+. Not burning on you, but alot of us have been where you are, although not w/that type of cash....

I've got my insurance all planned out. Is it expensive to maintain a nsx? From what I've heard they are pretty reliable cars. Are they reliable enough to be a daily driver and to last me a while? thanks

Back